SASS Wire Forum

Slow Day at the Fort.

Sitting here watching the rain, and letting my mind wander. Thoughts slipped back a mite to growing up in Southern Illinois. 

All kinds of history around there. Thinking of the Lewis and Clark age of discovery. They started out in St. Louis, so I reckon they must of come down the Ohio on a keel boat, gone up the Mississippi to St. Louis by boat. Of course they could have gone overland. But I reckon by boat because there were not very many roads to St. Louis. I have never read or heard how they made that short journey from the Ohio to St. Louis, but given the scope of the overall trip. That 80 or so miles would have a walk in the park.  

ED: Well Google is your friend. 

They did both keel boat and overland. 

Lewis sent Clark down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi to St. Louis with their accumulated supplies and men. 

He (Lewis) went overland acquiring trade goods and miscellaneous supplies. They joined up in St. Louis to begin the journey. 

18 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting ponder. 80 miles UP the Mississippi would have been daunting in the days before steamboats. That’s a fast-flowing river.  

Right you are. But that was the freeway back in the day. Those folks were hardy souls. I am going to take a journey trying to research what all was used by L & C in way of  transportation and how so, I am figuring boats, horses, mules and shank's mare. 

If you haven't read it, I suggest Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose. It is an excellent, possibly the best ever, accounting of the unbelievable mission.

LewisandClark.jpg

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

If you haven't read it, I suggest Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose. It is an excellent, possibly the best ever, accounting of the unbelievable mission.

LewisandClark.jpg

Thanks for the tip Bob. I just ordered a copy. Book report to follow. :D

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, I ordered three books and they left Portland this morning. I hope the didn't get burned in the fires. Looking forward to getting into them. 

Just be sure you report on the 80 mile trip to St. Louis. That’s still bugging me. ^_^

On 10/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Just be sure you report on the 80 mile trip to St. Louis. That’s still bugging me. ^_^

Getting closer. Arrived in Reno from Las Vegas. Whooo Hooooo. 

Well, just got the first of the three books I ordered. Report to follow. 

The Journals of Lewis and Clark

Abilene, you might also be interested in the web sight of lewisandclark.com/trailadventures/e228.htm 

Archived