SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of changing my alias to Drag Rider

Warden Callaway

I came in dead last out of 25 shooters at our last monthly match yesterday.  I shot Josey with five Colt pistols,  gunfighter,  black powder.   Got two Ps and more than a few misses.  Ironically,  most of my misses were on pistol targets and with the third generation gun. 

973582099_FiveColtstocleanOct2020.jpg.f7838e2ca399b5c100aa48bd6349dca7.jpg

The two on the left are second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt.  The two on right are 38WCF,  one first generation and other third.  The nickel in the center is a Frontier Six Shooter in 44WCF made in 1881.  I used it as my shotgun.  I used the two 45Colt as my rifle.  

975090732_ColtcleaningassemblylineOct2020.jpg.331ee946e2d37a3304f5b72b9a57c543.jpg

I scrubbed them out in the kitchen sink and laid them out to make sure they were dry before going over them again and lube with Bore Butter.  

But it was a beautiful fall day and what better way to end the season than with five Colt single actions and shooting out some 130 rounds of black powder! 

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Think 'Anchor' has a better sound to it :lol:

OLG 

As in, dead weight. ;)

Me and Doc Hurd could be bookends.   He came in first with a clean match and really fast stage times. 

The Ps had nothing to do with shooting Josey Wales.  Just brain fade. I shouldn't have missed the pistol targets.  But no breeze made a wall of white smoke obscuring the white targets.  I shot the last stage clean but took time to let the smoke dissipate.  

Well-Done Warden!

Josey Wales is one fine category.
Lifer & I always shoot our 3-day annual, High Noon at Tusco, JW.
We have traditionally been joined by our pard Catlow, but he passed last Winter -- RIP

--Dawg

Untitled.jpg

Drag rider to me is the poor schmuck that had to ride behind the herd in the cloud of dust to keep stragglers from straggling.

17 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I came in dead last out of 25 shooters at our last monthly match yesterday.  I shot Josey with five Colt pistols,  gunfighter,  black powder.   Got two Ps and more than a few misses.  Ironically,  most of my misses were on pistol targets and with the third generation gun. 

973582099_FiveColtstocleanOct2020.jpg.f7838e2ca399b5c100aa48bd6349dca7.jpg

The two on the left are second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt.  The two on right are 38WCF,  one first generation and other third.  The nickel in the center is a Frontier Six Shooter in 44WCF made in 1881.  I used it as my shotgun.  I used the two 45Colt as my rifle.  

975090732_ColtcleaningassemblylineOct2020.jpg.331ee946e2d37a3304f5b72b9a57c543.jpg

I scrubbed them out in the kitchen sink and laid them out to make sure they were dry before going over them again and lube with Bore Butter.  

But it was a beautiful fall day and what better way to end the season than with five Colt single actions and shooting out some 130 rounds of black powder! 

Do you take apart the insides, at least the 45s?

Just now, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Do you take apart the insides, at least the 45s?

Not typically.   I pull a rag through the cylinder cut and fold it tightly back over the action. Then stream water through the barrel pointed muzzle down and run brush through until no more black comes out. This has proven successful in keeping water out of the action.  I wipe off the excess water and puff out the bore, base pin hole and ejector hole. 

I leave set for some few hours to make sure they are dry.  Any thing I missed will show up.  I then brush barrel and cylinder again and run patch loaded with Thompson's Bore Butter.   I take the same patch and go around the cylinder opening and exterior of the gun.

I use one drop of Mobil 1 oil on the base pin and bushing.  I generally find that the oil has migrated to the hammer and down in the action.

I like to take the guns out about a week later and inspect them. 

I'm shooting C45S loaded with 1cc BlackMZ in the 45Colts.  The brass pretty soft yet from being annealed more recently so there wasn't much blowby.  The 44WCF were loaded with a full load real Grafs ffg and came out clean as far as blowby.   The 38WCFs were loaded with 1cc BlackMZ and came out clean except around the mouths.

I wouldn't feel bad Warden if your attention hadn't wandered I'd be ridin' tail end charlie again. But I got a dime faster and 3 less miss than last time. 

If I can figure out sequence I can avoid this p's. 

See you at spring round up!

1 minute ago, Texas Joker said:

I wouldn't feel bad Warden if your attention hadn't wandered I'd be ridin' tail end charlie again. But I got a dime faster and 3 less miss than last time. 

If I can figure out sequence I can avoid this p's. 

See you at spring round up!

You did fine with being your second match and still using borrowed guns and all.

I wrote the stages and I got two Ps!  

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I wrote the stages and I got two Ps! 

That's a trend i've noticed at a couple of the clubs I shoot at. The stage writer almost always ends up with at least 1. Wonder why that is? 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I pull a rag through the cylinder cut and fold it tightly back over the action. Then stream water through the barrel pointed muzzle down and run brush through until no more black comes out. This has proven successful in keeping water out of the action.  I wipe off the excess water and puff out the bore, base pin hole and ejector hole. 

Very similar to what I do. I'll have to give the rag over the action a try. I normally just blast the insides with wd40 to drive out any moister that may have gotten in there. 

First off that’s a beautiful brace of guns, will you adopt me?  I’ve been shooting .45C with annealed brass in both SAA’s and ‘73 rifle and found it makes a tremendous difference with clean up.  I’m getting ready for SE and SW Regionals so I decided to do a deep cleaning of all the guns after my last local match.  I was happy to find very little fouling in any of the actions.  On the SAA’s the only place it was really noticeable was in the channel that the hand rides in, on the rifle just the carrier and the front of the bolt.

When I was riding Harley’s in a group we used to call the last guy Sweep.

29 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

First off that’s a beautiful brace of guns

Thanks!  The second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt on the far left is a family heirloom that came from Sawmill Mary's late brother.  The rest were accumulated this year!  I just happened on to one after another from local gun shops a price I could afford with trade, etc.  Several had problems that I fixed.

I normally load BlackMZ but I used Goex in the Frontier Six Shooter because it's a black powder gun.  I was pleasantly surprised how easily it cleaned up.  My standard bullets were lubed with Javelina bullet lube. But it's works plenty good in the pistol.

41 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

First off that’s a beautiful brace of guns, will you adopt me?  I’ve been shooting .45C with annealed brass in both SAA’s and ‘73 rifle and found it makes a tremendous difference with clean up.  I’m getting ready for SE and SW Regionals so I decided to do a deep cleaning of all the guns after my last local match.  I was happy to find very little fouling in any of the actions.  On the SAA’s the only place it was really noticeable was in the channel that the hand rides in, on the rifle just the carrier and the front of the bolt.

When I was riding Harley’s in a group we used to call the last guy Sweep.

Make sure to put a few rounds through them before you leave next week, or at least plan on shooting a few on Thursday.

See ya there!

24 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Warden Callaway maybe you need one of these to keep the smoke away ;):rolleyes:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d53558e8c975e01b5681dc53955fb5e.jpeg

Here is my POV video of my best and last stage. The only one I shot clean in 62 seconds.  If there was a prize for smoke,  I would have came in first!

Archived