SASS Wire Forum

Green brass from Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler!

Warden Callaway

:) I always smile when I dump out the yellow gold brass from our Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler.   We don't use pins. Just a dash of Lemi Shine and Simple Green. And run for one hour.  But something is different with this batch.  The 38WCF brass came out green!

1683298947_GreenbrassOctober2020.jpg.9827a80ffc15e2cbe294911ea3f0300b.jpg

The top are C45S done in a separate batch.  Bottom is the 38WCF.  The only difference is I included a dozen nickel plated 44WCF cases.  I pulled those out and running the 38WCF again.

I ran a batch of Sawmill Mary's 44WCF and they came out gleaming bright.

Yep on the nickle!  The Lemi - Shine and nickle cases do not mix!

I still use a little Lemi-Shine, but if you over do it, even nickle plated primers leave my cases with a grey-blue hue.

I use Strat-O-Sheen, a 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi shine, and a little Dawn.  I have been using a Tablespoon of Strat-O-Sheen and no stainless pins (after de-priming my brass) and running the batch for an hour.  The results are just as good as using stainless pins. 

I ran the 38WCF again with Lemi Shine and Simple Green and they turned out fine.  But I missed one nickel case.  Now I know.

1683298947_GreenbrassOctober2020.jpg.9827a80ffc15e2cbe294911ea3f0300b.jpg

I the above picture,  you can spot two nickel 44WCF in the upper left of tray and a third bottom center. They turned almost black.

By using an acid and 2 unlike metals you created a galvanic reaction. Created an oxide and brass corroded green. Yay science

Archived