SASS Wire Forum

POLL Vote, 44-40 with Unique

Savvy Jack

Not applicable.  NO help.  I run everything with APP.  Just wanted to post something.  I realize it's not useful and should probably be ignored, but it's Sunday Morning and I are bored.

13 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

For documentary purposes, how many of you guys shooting the 44-40 use less than 6gr of Unique for CAS?

• Rifle?
  • Revolvever?
  • Both?

No,  I find 6.5 the lowest I can go in Sawmill Mary's guns and get clean burn and consistent load. 200g Missouri Bullet Company Hi-tech bullets sized to 428.

Even 6.5 gr of Unique is too low. There is a possibility of generating enough pressure to start the bullet out of the case before the powder hits 7,000 psi necessary for stable burning. If that happens, when the bullet hits the forcing cone, it may stop, allowing pressures to then build up dramatically before the bullet can begin to move again.  If at least 7.0 gr. creates too much recoil, you are better served to use a faster-burning powder like W231/HP38.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Not applicable.  NO help.  I run everything with APP.  Just wanted to post something.  I realize it's not useful and should probably be ignored, but it's Sunday Morning and I are bored.

It is raining outside and I am forced to operate out of my basement, I understand...LOLOL

This is why I asked the questions. I don't need advice, simply performing some tests

I started out with 4gr and a 220gr 43-214A. I found that little contact was made with the blast plate until I loaded 8.6gr

Unique4grsecondary2.jpg

4gr - The small black "balls" below the hole is just "trash" dust caught in the paint. The aft thrust did not even touch them

Unique5grSecondary1.jpg

5gr - Same here, very little touching the plate

Unique6grSecondary.jpg

6gr, tad bit more touching the top...blast plate was not aligned properly.

Unique8.6grSecondary1.jpg

8.6gr just starts to imprint the paint. Scrape marks on this last photo is where I removed the blast plate while the case was against it. Did not happen on the others.

No issues with squibs with 4gr or any others in the 20" MGM barrel. The purpose with this post is to see what folks are using. Little pressure is applied to the bolt of a 73' with 8.6gr. I just wish I new how much pressure was applied to the bolt.

Please continue to reply for those who use less than 6gr, 

THANKS!

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

No,  I find 6.5 the lowest I can go in Sawmill Mary's guns and get clean burn and consistent load. 200g Missouri Bullet Company Hi-tech bullets sized to 428.

That sounds about right. I shot some once, so low I could see the bullet from the barrel all the way to the target!!

I was shooting a '94 Winchester, and used 200 gr lead. 9.5 gr of Unique is a good consistent load. Under that it gets a bit more position sensitive than I like. At, or a bit below 7.5 accuracy goes for a poop. At 6.6 if you don't raise the muzzle and settle the powder against the primer, it's not accurate. I suppose, if one was so inclined, a bit of dacron would work. I'm not a fan of filler loads. 

I settled on Red Dot, about 5.5 gr gives good accuracy. 

Blast plate, not in my vocabulary, I'll have to search that up.

BB 

Guess I'll be the odd ball. 6.0 grains of Unique with a 200 grain bullet, has been my load for years in 44-40. I've never had any issues at all. In .45 I shoot 5.0 grains with a 255 grain bullet and it's a very comfortable load in my pistols. My accuracy has never been an issue with these loads on SASS targets. With the rifle I have no issues hitting dueling tree sized targets at 25 yards.

Tully

Haven't use Unique in .44-40 or .45LC for years.  I prefer Universal, which has a burning rate similar to Unique.  My .44-40 load is 8.0 gr Universal behind a 213 gr bullet. Gives 950 ft/sec from a 7-1/2" OM Vaquero with .425" dia. throats in the cylinder, bullet dia. .430", W-W brass, WLP primers. MV from 20" Rossi M92 = 1200 ft/se; from 24" bbl. Navy Arms (Uberti) M1860 Henry = 1226 ft/sec. Temp. = 74 deg. F.  MSL = 6,000 ft.  Temperature will vary somewhat with temperature.  Slightly higher velocities with Starline brass. 

Stay well and safe, Pards! 

I have shot 6gr of Unique for many years in 44 and 45 with 200gr bullet with very good success. 

This was my main load before I switched to APP for everything. 

But it's still my go to Smokeless load when needed .

So saith the Rooster 

Archived