SASS Wire Forum

New shooters

Deuce Dynamite

I shot two local matches at one club and two more at another before joining SASS.  They convinced me to join SASS and shoot at the TN State Match this past few days.

Two words:  DO IT! 

We get that question often when we work at recruitment events.  The standard answer is that you need not belong to either the club/posse or SASS to shoot at the local club level.  We do add that the vast majority of clubs will not require membership, but if unsure just ask.  Usually they join SASS and often the posse (if the club offers a membership) once they've shot a few matches.  In our case, we joined SASS and even though membership in the gun club was not necessary, we joined there too.  After all, the cowboy range did maintain the roads, pay the electric bill, etc.  It just seemed the right thing to do.

The clubs where I shoot do not require you to be a sass member to participate in the monthly matches. If you end up wanting to shoot at a state level or above match it is required. Same as none of the ones I shoot at require you to be a member of their cowboy club either but most offer a discount on the monthly match fees if you are.  So if you never want to shoot any of the championship matches you dont have to join sass. But why would you not? Sass membership also locks in your alias so no one else can use it within sass. Not to mention you're supporting the game/club with your annual dues. I personally am saving for a life membership. 

On 10/11/2020 at 7:05 AM, Deuce Dynamite said:

I figured as much but thought I would ask. Thanks all!

T-Bone how are you bud? Missed you in Medical Lake. How did the fast pitch tourney go?

Good Morning Double-D!

Doing well and hoping the same for you cowboy!    We finished "Bridesmaid" in both the 60+ and 65+ Divisions,  the heat was pretty oppressive and I no longer have a need to go to Bullhead City.   We brought a knife to a gun fight, those boys from Texas/Oklahoma/Ohio combined for an outstanding team.

Hope to Posse with you soon, come west young man...   (and also support your local shoots too!!!)

RUCAS, first Sunday of the month and the prior Saturday

Mima Marauders, second Saturday of the month

Smokey Point Desperados, second Sunday of the month  

Cascade Ghostriders, third Sunday of the month

Great to hear! We are trying to do a local match here this weekend (just found out it will probably be canceled though) then will be in Benton City the last 2 weekends of Oct for cowboy then wild bunch. I will have to plan a trip over there soon. My sister lives in Bellingham so the smokey point shoot would be easy to make. I will definitely let you guys know. Would be great to see you all again soon!

My kin and I joined SASS immediately.  That was in 2001 and later years....

However, SASS membership is only (usually) required at state or higher level matches.

Actually, the Lincoln Area Regulators require SASS membership in SASS, to join our outfit---- But not just to shoot at our for local first Saturday matches at the Ike's range.

WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND SASS MEMBERSHIP FOR ALL!!!!

Mustang

Archived