SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shoot 45 colt SWC

Lone Rider SASS#32091

I have always loaded and shot RNFP lead bullets in my 45 colt rifle and pistols, normally 250 grains. I have been thinking about experimenting with a lighter bullet and I see a lot of those are SWC’s. Does anyone shoot a 45 SWC? Will I see any major difference in loading for it or shooting it, other than the lighter weight and different POI? Thanks.

Try Truncated Cone (TC) bullets.   Love 'em.  They have a longer nose section than RNFP, so when you need a long cartridge OAL, it's easier to get that with a TC. 

As folks have said, SWC will hang up when feeding on many lever guns - especially "uncontrolled feed" guns like the toggle actions.  The ridge formed by the shoulder catches on the entry to the chamber.

I have even designed a 175 grain TC bullet which fits .45 caliber firearms.  It's found in the Accurate mold catalog as # 45-175B.  Great for light large bore loads.

SWC bullets have long had a reputation of being very accurate in revolvers (like Elmer Keith found).  Especially heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

200 grain swc bullets that I have tried are all to long for the 73 carriers. 

Then don't crimp in the crimp groove!    The loader DOES HAVE more options than just always using the crimp groove.   Most SWC designs have a full diameter (driving) band in front of the crimp groove that will let you seat to a shorter OAL!  Especially with soft alloy bullets that are appropriate for the low pressures and velocities used for SASS.

Max OAL that most toggle link rifles like a '73 will feed is usually about 1.590" or so. 

Good luck, GJ

I cut down a Lyman 452488 mold a few months ago to cast a 180 grainer for my .45 acp Vaqueros. Works great, but POI is a couple inches low. Round nose bullets are available
all the way down to 160 grains.
Lyman.jpg.2ff13e16b3f5ca540709272c91c4b5e5.jpg

In the years I worked putting together Toggle Link and most "other" CAS rifles, SWC bullets turned otherwise great rifles into Jam-0-Matics.  Not recommended in any caliber.

Recently I have found a rather nice 180Gr RNFP from Badman, Scarlett, Missouri and someone else (feeble memory), that loads to the same over all length as a 200Gr RNFP yet has a great tapered shape and feeds in my 45 Rifles like Grain thru a Goose.

Archived