SASS Wire Forum

WTC - Gunfighter questions

Make do

First question I know that I will probably get roasted but I got to know. Rule book says "Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring" So if telling if you hit or not is not a problem can both be shot at once. Ok here is the set up. 5 knock down plates 10 rounds extra to be dumped on a rifle plate. I figure why not shoot both a once at each knock down (fun to just point and shoot) because I thought I was bound to hit at least once. Similar to what the fast shooters do shooting at each plate a number of times even as it falls. So the scoring was easy to tell if all five plates were down for scoring. Only problem that I can see is on the fifth plate did it go down with the first revolver or second because if it is the first then it is a miss on the rifle target. But the fast shooters are the same way hard to tell if it was the first or following shot because if it was the following shot then it should of been on the rifle target and a miss. 

Second question - set up is two plate racks at 90 degrees to each other to be shot from two windows very close and at 90 to each other - The windows are marked b and c. It says "engage pistols racks from B and C any left standing can be made up with the shotgun". B and C are basically on top of each other. Being  so close together I can put one foot in B the other in C and easily view both plate racks. Can  I put one pistol out the B window and one out the C window alternating  (for fun) rack B and then C?

What you can and cannot do is up to the stage designer/writer. Putting two knockdown racks at 90 degrees to each other sounds like a safety concern. You would have to present a drawing to help me here. Safety is the call of the Range Master/Match Director.

Shooting two shoots at the same time is to facilitate scoring. Spotters are counting shots, not just hits and misses. If they are yelling one more at you and you have shot 10, then you are flirting with a Procedural penalty in my opinion. Hitting two targets at the same time is also flirting with a procedural penalty.

Not many knockdowns with pistols or rifle at our matches.  

Watching other good GFs will make it obvious that there is usually one acceptable way to shoot fast.

Best way to shoot gf well is to shoot well.  Trying to be too aggressive usually leads to misses or procedurals.

1st answer is NO. it's in the rules you can not shoot both pistols at the same time. Doesnt matter what the scenario is.  2nd answer is probably not but that's a question for the posse marshal or stage writer. But most likely the answer will be no. They want you to move from 1 spot to the other. Stages with split pistol positions usually begin with the gunfighter saying "get a rope!" 

No on the first. The reason is not just for calling hits/misses, it's so the quantity of shots can be ascertained, and for the timer to pick up those shots.

Question 2, the plate racks are 90 degrees to each other, which make them 45+- degrees from the shooter. There would be no problem.

Some folk are thinking 90 degrees, each way, from the shooter, which is 180 degrees, and is not allowed. 

I have shot at ranges with the two plate rack scenario at 90degrees from each other. Gunfighters love it.

Archived