SASS Wire Forum

time for CHILI!!!!!

Lawdog Dago Dom

Tried this recipe last winter and enjoyed it very much.  Cut the chili powder back according to taste though--recommended 1/3 cup is a bit heavy

Gonna have to put off makin' chili here, for a while yet.

Upper 80's today, and tomorrow.  90's Saturday, and 94 Sunday....(that's Fahrenheit for you folks on the metric system).  

Chili is good, any day of the year, but it seems much better when it is cool/cold outside. My opinion. 

My choice would be no beans....chili ain't suppose to be bland. But that ain't Gospel, and it ain't written in stone, anywhere, just my own preference.

Some spice, and some hot, try for a good balance. If it is too hot, you can always take a bite of chocolate, to quell the heat.

If the chili seems a bit bland, I sprinkle some pico de gallo, on top, and that cranks it up a notch.  

W.K.

No fixed recipe and no two pots are the same, but generally:

Four 29 oz cans of tomato sauce, one 12 oz can of tomato paste, 4-5 lbs ground beef, 5-6 packages of Jones breakfast sausage chopped up, several onions chopped up, several red peppers chopped up with the seeds removed, some jalapeno peppers chopped up with the seeds removed, scallions chopped up and the following spices & herbs: ginger, Turkish red pepper, basil, oregano, chili powder and red curry.  The red curry isn't very spicy. but gives a nice secondary "burn".   For me, it's perfect if it's pleasantly spicy at the beginning with the sweating starting about 5 minutes or so when the rec curry kicks in.  If I make it for other people I back off on the spices that make it really hot. 

Chantry, how big of a pot do you use?

120 ounces of sauce - that's just shy of a gallon. Add 5 lbs of hamburger and 6 lbs of sausage. That's not even considering the tomato paste and the peppers and the onions and the other stuff you put in there.

I use a five quart pot - make about a gallon.

Just sounds like you would need at least a 3 gallon pot to get everything in it.

I made this tonight, minus celery (didn’t have any) & retried bean (SIL) doesn’t like them. 
we like it. It may not be traditional but it isn’t far off the Cowboy chili recipe above.

1 Med Onion chopped

1 cup Celery chopped - about 3 stalks

1 lb. chopped Meat, Lean

1 15 oz can Tomato Sauce

1 16 oz can Red Kidney Beans

1 cup Frozen Corn - 1/2 bag Birdseye

2 tsp Chili Powder - May be left out

1 tsp Oregano Leaves

1 14.5 oz can Petite Cut Tomato’s

1 dash Garlic Powder

3 tbs Brown Sugar

1 dash Red Pepper

Salt & Pepper to taste

1/3 cup Refried Beans (see options)

Cook:

Use a Dutch Oven, cook onions and celery w/2 tbs oil, until soft (onions should be translucent).

Remove onions & celery to a bowl. Add ground beef to Dutch Oven w/2 tbs oil, break up meat and cook until no longer pink. Put onions & celery into pot and stir in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, until thickened and flavors are blended.

Options:

You can add:

1. small can of crushed pineapple,

2. potato flakes to thicken,

3. 1/3 cup refried beans.

CJ

Never have followed a recipe.  Just start with about 2-3lbs of Axis venison and a few lbs of pintos.  Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  let it simmer until the meat is rare, and add seasoning until it tastes right, then let it cook for a few more hours.  One can use just about any meat, but pinto beans or no beans is the only way to go IMHO.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Chantry, how big of a pot do you use?

120 ounces of sauce - that's just shy of a gallon. Add 5 lbs of hamburger and 6 lbs of sausage. That's not even considering the tomato paste and the peppers and the onions and the other stuff you put in there.

I use a five quart pot - make about a gallon.

Just sounds like you would need at least a 3 gallon pot to get everything in it.

I have a pot cooking now for my club's annual match.  It's my contribution to the Friday night potluck (Saturday night's potluck contribution is jambalaya) and you guessed right, it is a 3 gallon pot.   Also it is 5-6 boxes of sausage, not 5-6 pounds.

All of the ingredients, except for the herbs & spices, costs me about $40-$45 dollars.  I put it into smaller containers, freeze it and I get about 22-25 meals out of a pot.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No beans. 

Meat either cut into about half inch dice or coarsely chopped in food processor.   

Mildly spicy, enough to tingle the mouth but not make us sweat.

Wing it.

Now that I'm home and not using my phone:
About 3 pounds of meat,  two or three onions chopped up, a couple of tablespoons of minced garlic, maybe a few seeded and minced jalapenos, fresnos, or serranos, or some combination.  That takes about a quarter cup of taco seasoning mix and about the same of chili powder.  Also a little ground coriander, a tablespoon or so of Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa powder, and a couple of pinches of cinnamon, and a little chicken or vegetable stock.  

Archived