SASS Wire Forum

WTS: Original COLT 32WCF barrel

Ol Number4

Just as the title implies, a 4-5/8" original Colts 32WCF barrel,  Been used, shows holster wear and some outside pitting,  Bore, I rate  as Excellent.

$68.30 shipped

Ol'  #4

W. C.,

How would I tell?

Thread count is different on the 3rd generation - 24 TPI.   First and second are 20 TPI.  They won't interchange.   But the roll markings differ from time period to time period in the same generation. 

Photos would be great.

It has      20TPI

Roll stamp is:  COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG Co HARTORD CT U.S.A.

caliber marking left side 32 W.C.F.

The ejector rod uses an insert stud

Any help on year and application?

Will see about pictures

Ol'  #4

Pictures added

Anyone confirm the vintage ??

Thanks,  Ol'  #4

COLTS 32.JPG

COLTS rollstamp.JPG

Warden,

The crown looks right to me and the sight blade looks as original as the older one I have.  I it has been cut, they did a factory correct job of it.

I have no real history on this barrel; it was in of a basket of parts I traded into for some work back in the 70's.

Ol'  #4

The 4-3/4" barrels were made with single or two line addresses according Keith Cochran's book "Colt Peacemaker Yearly Variations".

R.L. Wilson's "Colt's Dates of Manufacture" book says the .32-20 was introduced in 1884 and 1st gen manufacturing ended in 1940. 

I don't have any information readily available of 2nd gen production. 

There is an interesting topic on the Colt Forum showing a display of Colt SAA parts that have been "dissected" to show their features and variations. 

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/subtle-changes-in-the-colt-single-action-army-a-photo-essay.48166/  

And there is always exceptions to the norm. Seems like it's more up to the builder at the time how the guns came out.  One guy bought a new Colt SAA and discovered it didn't have the rampaging colt stamped on the side of the frame next to the patent dates.  There is a discussion now about one that has an octagon barrel. 

1656965268_ColtFSS1881bFeb2020.jpg.a88b9c23dd9d2ebb7b5ca9b126640d5f.jpg

I have this early Frontier Six Shooter that none of the markings are right.  It even has a non-typical 5" barrel. I have a Colt letter that says it left the factory as a 7 1/2" nickel plated gun. My best guess it was sent back to Colt at a later date and remodeled to what it looks like today.

Archived