SASS Wire Forum

Old Elgin POCKET WATCH REPAIR

Dungannon Gunner

DO NOT SEND YOUR WATCH TO THESE PEOPLE:

https://watchrepairsusa.com/Pocket-Watch/watch-repair?source=google&c=WRUSA-Vintage&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr7BFPtLYC6l1LWkC5K6IaskgBKMkjGEmgp1aQLeDRs1oy5rg7kZauEaAkbnEALw_wcB

Buncha crooks!

I sent them my old Westclox pocket watch. I paid $40 for it at EOT 2002. They wanted $617.00 to refurbish it. :angry:

When I told them to send it back they told me that I could donate the watch for parts or pay for assessment and shipping...estimate over $100.  I told them to shove it.

Two suggestions:

Look for a small jewelry store with an old guy in the backroom who has been doing all the repair work there for decades, and consult with him.

Or if gun shows are happening nearby, talk to the old guy selling pocket watches and get his opinion.

I prefer dealing with folks I can drive to, rather than sending stuff out to people I can’t see.

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Two suggestions:

Look for a small jewelry store with an old guy in the backroom who has been doing all the repair work there for decades, and consult with him.

Or if gun shows are happening nearby, talk to the old guy selling pocket watches and get his opinion.

I prefer dealing with folks I can drive to, rather than sending stuff out to people I can’t see.

You are spot on. Unfortunately my "old guy" jeweler recently passed away. Hope I don't need any repairs now. I'll have to find someone again!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

DO NOT SEND YOUR WATCH TO THESE PEOPLE:

https://watchrepairsusa.com/Pocket-Watch/watch-repair?source=google&c=WRUSA-Vintage&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr7BFPtLYC6l1LWkC5K6IaskgBKMkjGEmgp1aQLeDRs1oy5rg7kZauEaAkbnEALw_wcB

Buncha crooks!

I sent them my old Westclox pocket watch. I paid $40 for it at EOT 2002. They wanted $617.00 to refurbish it. :angry:

When I told them to send it back they told me that I could donate the watch for parts or pay for assessment and shipping...estimate over $100.  I told them to shove it.

In other words, you donated it for parts.

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

This guy did my repair work, brilliant work and wonderful pricing!

http://www.rdrop.com/~jsexton/watches/about.html

00.Pocket Watch.jpg

Thanks. I had the local jeweler send two watches out for repair recently. The guy he sent them to couldn’t fix one at all and the estimate on the other was twice what the watch was worth. 

But they didn’t charge ma anything.

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In other words, you donated it for parts.

Pretty much. I consider it "extorted for parts".

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pretty much. I consider it "extorted for parts".

There probably wasn't much wrong with it.  They probably fixed it for $5 and sold it for a huge profit on ebay.

5 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

There probably wasn't much wrong with it.  They probably fixed it for $5 and sold it for a huge profit on ebay.

The mainspring was shot. That was for sure.

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Thanks. I had the local jeweler send two watches out for repair recently. The guy he sent them to couldn’t fix one at all and the estimate on the other was twice what the watch was worth. 

But they didn’t charge ma anything.

John had to fabricate a new mainspring, but as I recall his total price to clean adjust and repair was around $60 total.  Given I paid some

$200 for the semi-working antique, I was pleased with the price for sure!  It's a railroad watch, accurate to 1 minute in 24 hours. 

Howdy and thanks.

I have a nice Elgin that I bought about 20 years ago.

I think it is about TIME to get it checked.

So any feedback about prices these folks charge would be great.

I too had a watch ripped off by a guy in Texas.

I contacted him on ebay and he sold me a watch that sorta worked.

But I sent my Tag Heuer 1000 to him for checking and he stopped 

communication.  

It didnt work and it sure was old. Tag Heuer would not have anything

to do with it.

But the parts and especially the bracelet were worth something.

I could have put the bracelet on another watch.

Great dive bracelet. Never a problem

Hardly any watches have real dive bracelets.

If you know of any at less than 1000 let me know.

Best

CR 

Who dives no more.

Archived