SASS Wire Forum

So I was thinking of a Celestron

Utah Bob #35998

Something under $500. But I don’t know

https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-102slt-computerized-telescope

This the one I have.

It is quick to set up and store. Light weight.

Super easy to find objects in the sky and has great tracking.

If I lived where you live, away from lights and with most nights clear, I would get a bank loan and buy a Questar.  Unmatched optics and easy portability.  Too much humidity and clouds in southern Missouri to make it justifiable for me.

Depends on what kind of telescope you want. A refactor or reflector or catadioptric.  Reflector is pretty basic scope, and reflectors can get pretty complex, Cads are complex but compact.  For 500 bucks you are going to be limited to something pretty small.  

Telescopes are sort of like rifles in that the sights are analogous to the mounts.  Cheap mount will really cut down on the ability to use the scope to the best of its potential.  Getting a good Equatorial mount with a motor drive will make even a lower end scope a better tool. 

Celestron is hard to beat for optics and price is not  terribly  bad. , Questar start at around 5 grand for a 3.5 inch table scope. Great optics but you pay for it.

https://www.telescope.com 

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If I lived where you live, away from lights and with most nights clear, I would get a bank loan and buy a Questar.  Unmatched optics and easy portability.  Too much humidity and clouds in southern Missouri to make it justifiable for me.

If I lived where I live I would buy a Questar......

If I wasn’t married. :D

Looked at notes I have from several star parties. Celestron NexStar5 might be a good scope to look at. They are about 600 or so.  Pictures are pretty good compared with my 10" and a guy's 14".  My personal favorite is my Russian made 6" reflector. The mirror is perfect. No color aberration and so heavy no thermal issues on nights when temps drop fast.  Sadly I have not seen one again on ebay since I bought mine 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Hmmmmm     so ya wanna scope huh?

scope.jpg

As I recall, magnification on those was not great. About 7-8x or so. And not very effective IN THE DAYTIME.  :D:D

Archived