SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero spring "repair"?

Shooting Bull

There's a flat spring in Vagueros that holds the trigger pivot pin in place and also provides tension on the loading gate to keep it in place.  My spring seems to have sprung.  The loading gate doesn't flop open but it's certainly not held securely closed anymore.  I've tried "opening it up" to give it more tension but it doesn't seem to hold the new shape.  Any way to fix this or do I just need to get a new spring?

(Truth in advertising: I got me one of these handy dandy little Spring Compressors from Unique Tek.   I fear I may have compressed the spring a bit much. :( )

What happens to these is they get bent "sideways" or twisted slightly, so the upper and lower legs are no longer flat and parallel to each other. When that happens, it doesn't matter how much you open it up, it isn't going to sit where it's supposed to. Once you see what's happened, it's a simple matter to clamp one leg in a vise and bend the other leg back where it's supposed to be. I haven't had one break yet, but then I've only done three.

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Call Ruger, bet you get it free.

OLG

FYI:  Even though a local friend has offered to give me one, I decided to call Ruger to see about getting a spare.  No dice.  My pistols were made in 2012.  Ruger says they're now obsolete.  They don't carry that part anymore. Seems a bit odd to me.  What could have changed since then to make it a different part from current SASS Vaqueros? :huh:

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Are these OMV or new?

That sure doesn't sound like the Ruger I have dealt with. :wacko:

Contact, Power Custom.

OLG 

New Model SASS Vaqueros.  Seemed very strange to me too. 

Just now, Manchester said:

According to my owners manuals, the part number is the same for both original vaquero and new vaquero - KMR07300 for stainless

Interesting, the ones I have found are clearly marked for OMV. 

OLG

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My search shows two different pn's for the gate detent spring.

OMV #240500

NMV #240510B

:blink:

OLG

Hmmm dunno.  The manual you can download for the New Vaquero from Ruger off their site now does not even list part numbers.  Guess they don’t want people trying to order parts.  

I was looking at the actual paper manuals that shipped with my pistols.  

Just now, Manchester said:

Hmmm dunno.  The manual you can download for the New Vaquero from Ruger off their site now does not even list part numbers.  Guess they don’t want people trying to order parts.  

Got the pn's from Numrich Arms site.

They show OOS on the NMV version.

OLG 

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

My question exactly. I never heard of any changes to SASS Vaqueros ever. 

Some internal parts like the t'bars will not interchange between OMV and NMV.

Yet, you can still get the OMV gate spring. And Ruger stopped making those when?  :rolleyes:

OLG 

Archived