SASS Wire Forum

Greasing m1a question

Trigger Mike

The manual tells you exactly where to gease the weapon for optimal performance. the reason the op rod is not greases is because it doesn't neet to be. You don't want anything going into that gas cylinder that can cause fouling problems, especially when mixed with the carbon reisdue. Here's a nice treatise on M1 greasing.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

And from another source.

If you do not have Lubriplate, or the other (Government specified) gun grease, then there are several greases that are available through gun stores (Hoppes #9 Gun Grease comes to mind), that will work.
The M1 Garand system is a machine, and machines need to be lubed with grease. Oil is for cleaning and coating the metal surfaces to prevent rust, and except for -10 Degrees F. to about +10 Degrees F. it will not provide adequate lubrication for the machine.
DO NOT LUBE THE GAS CYLINDER, PERIOD!!! It is OK to wipe out the Gas Cylinder, and other parts of that system with a very lightly oiled cleaning patch for long term storage, but when you plan to shoot it you must then wipe it dry, before shooting.

Thankfully I have plenty of grease pots from my garands but will not grease the oprod then.  I even found my m 14 cleaning kit I got from the cmp over 20 years ago for when I was planning on getting a  m1a.  The m1a even came with a copy of the army manual for the rifle.  

45 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Thankfully I have plenty of grease pots from my garands but will not grease the oprod then.  I even found my m 14 cleaning kit I got from the cmp over 20 years ago for when I was planning on getting a  m1a.  The m1a even came with a copy of the army manual for the rifle.  

Taking a very good cue from @Sedalia Dave I recommend Mobil 1 grease for your new toy. Excellent Stuff!

As usual, this is of definite use to more than the OP.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Tony Ben has some great videos out there.  Here is one on lubrication of the M14/M1A 

This is the site I go to any time I want to know anything about my M1A.  He's got dozens of videos on the M1A/M14.

30 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I had to clean the oprod and gas cylinder for a friend on his M1A who thought it would be just fine to grease them up .  The courts let me off as justifiable homicide

Damnit Muleshoe Bill! I had to clean my iPhone screen after I read that. :lol::lol::lol:

Archived