SASS Wire Forum

Building Spare Parts Kit

Flatwater Monte

Howdy Pards, 

With four of us in the family shooting, it is only a matter of time before one of our guns goes down. Knock on wood, we have been lucky thus far that the most trouble we have had was a couple of backed out screws! I have been kicking around building a spare parts kit to throw in the gun cart, camper or truck depending on where we are shooting. I would really appreciate your input on what parts you have had to replace on your guns to keep them running. Here is what we are shooting:

3 Stoeger Coach Guns (2 double triggers, 1 single trigger if that makes a difference)

Winchester 1897

6 Ruger Vaqueros

2 Heritage Rough Riders

Rossi R92

Marlin 1894 

Uberti 1873. 

Henry 22 Lever

They have been worked over with cowboy springs and polished internals. I have all of the original parts still, and will be including them in the spare parts kit but also want to include those parts that seem to fail at the most inconvenient time. 

In twenty years I've broken one flat spring in a pistol.

Flatwater.  You're bringing enough firearms if one goes down just grab one of the others!

1. ejector spring (s)

2. if newer model the two shell stop pivot screws that go in from the bottom of the receiver

3.right extractor and plunger pin, won't break these but the extractor can come out and will be followed immediately by the plunger

4. The left extractor could break but not likely, unless you practice with oversized dummy rounds. This will break them or weaken the spring leaf so it breaks on the range right in the middle of a stage, when else do they break. Which by the way also breaks and or weakens the ejector spring. My wife and I have about 40 years of combined shooting our his and her 97's and both have the same left extractors in the guns.

A little preventive maintenance of checking the tightness of  the screws on the 97 will eliminate loosing them and ensuring the right extractor is locked in place will do the same

I carried a small assortment of spare parts for years.  Only ever put them in "Other Peoples" guns.  Only spare part I carry now is an extra "METREX" bar.  

PLUS ONE too Matthew Duncan. 

On the Rossi 92, there is a screw in the lever that holds the cross pin in, They have a tendency to break, I carried 2 of them with me when I shot a 92. Also the cylinder cross pin and spring that keeps the cylinder pin in place.An ejector rod housing screw also.

Maybe a spare transfer bar for the Vaquero but those break so rarely, I'm not sure it's worth it since you are carrying 6 of them.  I carry backup guns to major matches and leave the gunsmithing for home.  I've not found that the range is the best place to take your guns apart into lots of little pieces.

If you have the 73 with the solid tab on the bottom of the bolt..carry an extra bolt. If you have the newer style with the replaceable tab...carry an extra tab and pin. 
Also an extra set of lever/ carrier springs. And a firing pin 

For your Stoegers buy a spanner to tighten the firing pin fastening nuts.  They loosen over time.  Eventually the soft firing pins will mushroom and you will need to replace them.  The spanner makes that job easy.  This is one of those minor gunsmithing jobs that can be done at home.

image.png.e471ba2dd60129825c89623241b1731d.png

Years ago I got some valuable advice. I was trying to play farmer with old, used equipment.  I was mowing hay with a Ford 501 scikel mower and kept breaking the wooden pitman arm. The Ford parts guy said,   "Buy two, and hang one up and you'll never need it.".  He was right!  But I also replaced some other related parts and got things adjusted better.  

Crying towel :lol:

T'bars for the Rugers.

Both pieces of the firing pin for the Marlin if you don't run the one piece setup. 

M97, left side extractor and rec'r elector spring and screw.

Good Brownells Maga Tip screwdriver set.

OLG 

18 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Years ago I got some valuable advice. I was trying to play farmer with old, used equipment.  I was mowing hay with a Ford 501 scikel mower and kept breaking the wooden pitman arm. The Ford parts guy said,   "Buy two, and hang one up and you'll never need it.".  He was right!  But I also replaced some other related parts and got things adjusted better.  

Boy, isn't that the truth. :) Just like if you bring a tool box with every imaginable tool with you on a trip, nothing ever breaks. But leave it home, ONE time----

Archived