SASS Wire Forum

Eddie Van Halen RIP

Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The only way you are born with addiction is if your mother was an active addict during pregnancy.

Addiction is a choice 

It is obvious that you have no clue as to the origins of addictive behavior!!  Alcoholism is an addiction! Smoking is an addictive behavior.  Overeating, Bullemia, and other eating disorders ARE ADDICTIVE BEHAVIORS!!!

The abuse of drugs, both over the counter and legend/prescribed, is addictive behavior suffered by many with NO family history of addiction!!  Many become dependent as a result of normal medical treatment! 

Perhaps you’d be better off to remain silent and let others think of you what they will rather than keep carrying on and prove them correct!!

10 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

That's absolutely incorrect.  It's a mental illness.  Like many others.  A simple Google search will show you that genetic makeup has at least some effect on a person’s risk of developing addiction and that certain portions of the human genome have even been identified as having a direct connection to specific addictions.  It's never black and white, and it certainly ain't cut and dried.

I'm not going to entertain this discussion any longer as it's not appropriate to the memory of EVH (who also happens to hold several patents and started a few successful companies).  Frankly, your attitude says a lot more about you than it does about anyone else.

Genetics or not you must deliberately make the decision to use illegal drugs it’s a choice you make. I have no use for junkies I’ve seen the cost of their irresponsible behavior to society as a whole and their families in particular. The only thing that they care about is themselves and their next fix. I watched my niece abandon her children for the needle and my sons best friend lost his brother and still chose drugs over his child. 
It’s all about choices. Make them good ones because you live and die by them 

16 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Here we go again making a hero and role model out of a junkie 

I don't think anyone here is "making a hero and role model out of a junkie". Folks are simply honoring EVH for his accomplishments in music, in particular with the guitar.

Over history there have been many famous people who have struggled with substance abuse. A few obvious notables;

- Aldous Huxley/mescaline/author

- Stephen King/cocaine/author 

- Charles Dickens/opium/author

- Ernest Hemingway/alcohol/author

- Howard Hughes/opiates/multiple accomplishments

- Ulysses S. Grant/alcohol/Civil War general and US president

- Winston Churchill/alcohol and amphetamines/British Prime Minister

- Many, Many others

Should any of these people's accomplishments be dismissed or diminished because of their addictions? I think not.

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Genetics or not you must deliberately make the decision to use illegal drugs it’s a choice you make. I have no use for junkies I’ve seen the cost of their irresponsible behavior to society as a whole and their families in particular. The only thing that they care about is themselves and their next fix. I watched my niece abandon her children for the needle and my sons best friend lost his brother and still chose drugs over his child. 
It’s all about choices. Make them good ones because you live and die by them 

Sadly, once again you are WRONG!!  Truthful examination and rendering of the facts indicates that many many people become addicted to one or another medication after being treated for injury or illness.

It IS tragic, but many patients never had addiction problems until one or another drug was administered by a physician or therapist and then become dependent/addicted to that medication!!

Fentanyl is one such product. It often WAS NOT the patient’s choice to have the drug administered.  The resulting dependency was neither their choice nor their fault.

Add to this, successful treatment of long term illness and extended rehabilitation regimens often include treatment using powerful pain killing chemicals. Many patients eventually recover from the injury or illness only to be saddled with an addiction not of their choosing!

Your offhand dismissal of addiction as making a “decision  to use illegal drugs” is disingenuous, over generalized, and illustrates a deep seated lack of knowledge and understanding of what goes on in the real world.

We’ve learned a lot since you were a LEO.  Your point of view regarding your relatives and their friends probably didn’t help their situations either.

Again, I offer the same advice I gave in my previous post on this thread.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How the hell did we get off the  subject individual on this one.  How about all of you taking all of your BS and putting it somewhere else!

You’re right, Forty!!

Eddie VanHalen was recognized as one of the top 25 guitarists of all time!!

He was an innovator and a trend setter!

That is what should be remembered!!

22 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It is obvious that you have no clue as to the origins of addictive behavior!!  Alcoholism is an addiction! Smoking is an addictive behavior.  Overeating, Bullemia, and other eating disorders ARE ADDICTIVE BEHAVIORS!!!

The abuse of drugs, both over the counter and legend/prescribed, is addictive behavior suffered by many with NO family history of addiction!!  Many become dependent as a result of normal medical treatment! 

Perhaps you’d be better off to remain silent and let others think of you what they will rather than keep carrying on and prove them correct!!

Being an a-hole is addictive for some. Not calling you one, you’re not, but I’ve been guilty of it. Just thought I’d interject my thought.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Being an a-hole is addictive for some. Not calling you one, you’re not, but I’ve been guilty of it. Just thought I’d interject my thought.

Yup!!

But hey, Eddie was awesome at what he did. I hope he didn’t suffer too much. I saw several people in my family die of lung cancer. Some started smoking 10-12 years old. Good decent people. Hell of a way to die.

SXM is running a tribute channel through this weekend, for anyone who is interested.  Ch 27.

I've heard songs from that band that I never heard before.  Some really great stuff.  Not all of it speeding ticket music either.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

It's something you're born with.

I don't believe it's hereditary.  I do believe in genetic predisposition.

Been listening to alot of pre Sammy Hagar VH this week.  I remember in middle school VH was HOT HOT HOT, and that album 1984 came out. Then like a year later David Lee Roth left the band, and Sammy Hagar joined, and then people lost a lot of interest it seemed, and moved onto other things.

13 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Been listening to alot of pre Sammy Hagar VH this week.  I remember in middle school VH was HOT HOT HOT, and that album 1984 came out. Then like a year later David Lee Roth left the band, and Sammy Hagar joined, and then people lost a lot of interest it seemed, and moved onto other things.

SXM is playing a good balance between both Sammy and David. 

There are a lot of songs that didn't get top 40 airplay that IMHO, are really amazing.  They played a little instrumental piece with EVH playing an acoustic in soemewhat of a Flamenco style.  Absolutely incredible.  This tribute is making me want to research their catalog more.  There is obviously more to their collective talents than just hard rocking.

Check this out. 

https://youtu.be/cM7GZXeH6-g

10 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

SXM is playing a good balance between both Sammy and David. 

There are a lot of songs that didn't get top 40 airplay that IMHO, are really amazing.  They played a little instrumental piece with EVH playing an acoustic in soemewhat of a Flamenco style.  Absolutely incredible.  This tribute is making me want to research their catalog more.  There is obviously more to their collective talents than just hard rocking.

Check this out. 

https://youtu.be/cM7GZXeH6-g

On their last tour Guns and Roses' Slash did an extended, AMAZING guitar solo that dipped into very impressive Flamenco style several times. Slash... another extremely talented guitar master.

Archived