SASS Wire Forum

Eddie Van Halen RIP

Rye Miles #13621

I'm paraphrasing Pete Townhend here: for his guitar skill and beautiful smile, we can forgive him for David Lee Roth.  RIP.

My husband grew up around the corner from the VanHalen's.  He told me some stories.........

RIP Eddie.  You were quite the example that many guitarists strive to achieve. 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

RIP

My first date with my wife was to the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour in 1992.  Actually got postponed a few weeks because of the LA Riots.

That was the first rock-and-roll concert I ever went to (Ames, Iowa).  I was 15, and a high school freshman.  I neither drank nor tried anything else, but came home smelling like booze and marijuana anyway.  I got my hide tanned and didn't even do anything wrong!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Eddie Van Halen dead at 65 too young! RIP Eddie.

But he had about 90 years on his body. Van Halen struggled with alcoholism and drug abuse. He stated that he began smoking and drinking at age 12, and that he eventually needed alcohol to function.  It caught up with him. He died from metastatic lung cancer.

15 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Here we go again making a hero and role model out of a junkie 

It really bothers me how all my familiar 1980's musicians (the era I grew up in) have bit the dust in recent years, and at ages well under 70. Apparently they all ran themselves at the redline for many years and it finally caught up with them.

Great guitar player and showman! Can’t say much for his lifestyle or his choice of lead singers, but he married Valerie Bertinelli, so his judgement wasn’t bad all the time.

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Who said he was a hero? And who is “we”?

“We” includes “you”.

You must be a real joy to be around...

Rest In Peace, Eddie. Thank you for the music. 

Eddie died of throat cancer. 
https://www.nme.com/news/eddie-van-halen-has-died-after-battling-throat-cancer-2773861

I read somewhere that Valerie Bertinelli left him because of drugs and booze but also because he wouldn’t quit smoking after his first diagnosis and treatments 20 years ago. 

18 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

That’s why I’m known as the old curmudgeon 

Hey ~ I resemble that remark!!  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Hero?  Role model?  Junkie?

He was a human being with all his flaws, who happened to be a generational talent on the guitar, who also co-founded a band who created much of my life story’s music. 

You ain’t lived ‘till you’ve gone out the side door of a C-130 with Van Halen’s “Jump” ear wormed firmly in your skull!

8 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Hero?  Role model?  Junkie?

He was a human being with all his flaws, who happened to be a generational talent on the guitar, who also co-founded a band who created much of my life story’s music. 

You ain’t lived ‘till you’ve gone out the side door of a C-130 with Van Halen’s “Jump” ear wormed firmly in your skull!

Why did you go out the side door instead of off the ramp? (Straight up question. I know nothing of abandoning functional airplanes.) 

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

There's a lot I could say to that.  But I'll keep it short. 

That's really uncalled for.  A lot folks struggle with addiction, and Eddie was one (my son is another).  He wasn't a junkie.  He was sick.  After seeing addiction firsthand, I'm highly confident in that position.

24 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

There's a lot I could say to that.  But I'll keep it short. 

That's really uncalled for.  A lot folks struggle with addiction, and Eddie was one (my son is another).  He wasn't a junkie.  He was sick.  After seeing addiction firsthand, I'm highly confident in that position.

So he was just waiting down the street and someone sneezed on him and he innocently caught addiction 

4 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

So he was just waiting down the street and someone sneezed on him and he innocently caught addiction 

No. It's something you're born with.  Like bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia.  It's not something that can be "caught" like a flu. 

Henry T. Harrison you can dis Eddie all you want, doesn't take away from the fact he was a great musician a brilliant guitarist and most of all a father and a human being who brought joy to those who listened to and loved his music.

Rest in Peace EVH, you will be missed.

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

That was the first rock-and-roll concert I ever went to (Ames, Iowa).  I was 15, and a high school freshman.  I neither drank nor tried anything else, but came home smelling like booze and marijuana anyway.  I got my hide tanned and didn't even do anything wrong!

RIP Eddie. 

Cyrus I might have been at that concert,  if it was the one in 1992. 

I saw Van Halen in Hampton VA in October of ‘82. We got so lucky getting those tickets as we had just pulled into port in Norfolk. My ears rang for 3 days after that concert. It was so loud it was almost intolerable on the floor of the coliseum. We were about 50’ from the stage for a while then we moved back a ways. It was LOUD! We still had a great time. 

39 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

No. It's something you're born with.  Like bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia.  It's not something that can be "caught" like a flu. 

The only way you are born with addiction is if your mother was an active addict during pregnancy.

Addiction is a choice 

1 minute ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Indeed.  But were you in Ames, Iowa?  

Yes at Hilton Coliseum. I live in Des Moines. 

23 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The only way you are born with addiction is if your mother was an active addict during pregnancy.

Addiction is a choice 

That's absolutely incorrect.  It's a mental illness.  Like many others.  A simple Google search will show you that genetic makeup has at least some effect on a person’s risk of developing addiction and that certain portions of the human genome have even been identified as having a direct connection to specific addictions.  It's never black and white, and it certainly ain't cut and dried.

I'm not going to entertain this discussion any longer as it's not appropriate to the memory of EVH (who also happens to hold several patents and started a few successful companies).  Frankly, your attitude says a lot more about you than it does about anyone else.

Rest in peace EVH. A great guitarist. Thanks for the music, the energy, and the memories you provided to so many for so long.

Archived