SASS Wire Forum

New Shooter alert!! Rockland County. NY

TheDanwithNoName

Hey everyone. New shooter here. Nice to meet y’all. I joined up last year, but planning a wedding delayed me in getting the ball rolling for 2019. This year's current events have pretty much done the same as well. I’ll make this as short as I can. I already have the guns needed, so I’m basically just in the market for a rig and holsters and eventually a cart. There’s nothing really going on in the surrounding counties of ROCKLAND NY, so I’m in no rush. Does anyone know of any places physically nearby for gun leather? I’ve been looking at mernickle and jm-leather, but before I pull the trigger on anything shipped, I’d like to know if there’s any hidden gems I can actually go and see in person. As far as carts go I’m open to all suggestions as well.  Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to answer these newbie questions. Also feel free to school me on anything, always willing to learn.

If you are, um, not skinny, and you shoot .38 special, you might find an offer of a rig. Really, you do need to specify guns, calibers, and hip measurement to find a match.

I'm sorta skinny and shoot .44s so I finally broke down and ordered a Mernickle starter rig 'cuz I got no useful hits for my combo. I have seen a number of good to great carry rigs for bigger waists, mostly in .38 Special.

I already see things I want to change with my new rig, and things I really like about it. I'll give it some time to learn more (and following the advice of local makers).

Good luck on your search, and consider putting a WTB thread for your need with the details in the Classified section. And a nice rig just got posted for sale, go check it out.

Other than that, all I have for you is Welcome to a Great Sport!

Welcome!  There’s a whole host of threads about rigs, just search the Wire.  For a gun cart, how handy and creative are you?  Everything from baby strollers to hand trucks to welding carts have been used to build a cart.  If you’re not handy there’s always Rugged Gear which a lot of folks use.  IMHO the biggest problem with a pre-made cart is the shipping, if you can wait to go to a regional match you may be able to pick one up and save the shipping.  I’d also suggest to check with your local club and see if someone has one they’d sell.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

I like the Papa Dave Gun cart 

There are lots of choices for gun leather, I had a Mernickle rig that was really nice but got stolen. I replaced it with a rig by a local cowboy that I like even better so check around and see what you can find. 

Good luck. 

Randy

Welcome! Being new myself I can share what I found. I would go to a match and you'll probably find something that will work. I think you might have said that's not possible as there wasn't much going on in your area. I bought my stuff ahead of time because I'm a weirdo and don't like using other people's stuff if I can help it. I regret that because I bought some stuff that isn't really optimal because I had no clue. I did wait on the cart and picked up a great used one to get started. The last bigger match I was at had a lot of used pieces for sale. 

I've been to one local and a couple larger regional type matches. It's a blast and I've met the nicest, most helpful people along the way! I'm addicted! My bank account and chores around the house have been paying the price! :-D

Just now, Deuce Dynamite said:

Welcome! Being new myself I can share what I found. I would go to a match and you'll probably find something that will work. I think you might have said that's not possible as there wasn't much going on in your area. I bought my stuff ahead of time because I'm a weirdo and don't like using other people's stuff if I can help it. I regret that because I bought some stuff that isn't really optimal because I had no clue. I did wait on the cart and picked up a great used one to get started at one of the matches. The last bigger match I was at had a lot of used pieces for sale. 

I've been to one local and a couple larger regional type matches. It's a blast and I've met the nicest, most helpful people along the way! I'm addicted! My bank account and chores around the house have been paying the price! :-D

I'm originally from New City myself...left the hellhole in 85 at age of 18 ,before things got real bad . Never looked back. Id imagine its quite a bit of travel to get to any kind of SASS range from Rockland. Good Luck

Welcome "The Dan With No Name" to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

If you don't mind a little travel the Long Island clubs are shooting this year. The East End Regulators shoot 1st Sunday every month in Westhampton. Hole in the Wall shoots 2nd Sunday in Calverton. 

This weekend is Buzzard Boil in Coventry CT. It can't be too far from rt 84. (I'll find out when I get there on Friday)

Happy to meet you all!! Thank you all for the great information. That rig in the classifieds might be a little too small, max Waist was 42, I start at 40-41 I think lol. I have mis matched pistols, long story short I already owned a Taylor’s smoke wagon 5.5”, a coworker sold me his ruger vaquero 4.62” and his 73 win miroku,  they are all 357/38sp. Thanks for all the cart tips as well as the heads up on the Long Island clubs. You all rock. Mr Taylor I will be pming you shortly.

5 hours ago, Snake River Clay said:

If you don't mind a little travel the Long Island clubs are shooting this year. The East End Regulators shoot 1st Sunday every month in Westhampton. Hole in the Wall shoots 2nd Sunday in Calverton. 

This weekend is Buzzard Boil in Coventry CT. It can't be too far from rt 84. (I'll find out when I get there on Friday)

The Boil is maybe 10 minutes off the Interstate on good roads.

There are a couple Ranges not too far from you, There are the Boot Hill Regulators in Monro/Chester and the Matamoras Mavericks in Matamoras Pa just across the border in Free America. Matamoras is having a shoot this Sunday Oct 11, Stop by and introduce yourself.

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Boot-Hill-Regulators-122

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Matamoras-Mavericks-816

On 10/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, Snake River Clay said:

I just checked and the Hole in the Wall Gang in Calverton is the 3rd Saturday, next weekend. 

I'm not going to get to the Boil after all. I had everything packed in the   car and I got a call from Mount Sinai Hospital that my girlfriend has stomach cancer. I couldn't leave her alone for 3 days after hearing that news. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:07 PM, TheDanwithNoName said:

Hey everyone. New shooter here. Nice to meet y’all. I joined up last year, but planning a wedding delayed me in getting the ball rolling for 2019. This year's current events have pretty much done the same as well. I’ll make this as short as I can. I already have the guns needed, so I’m basically just in the market for a rig and holsters and eventually a cart. There’s nothing really going on in the surrounding counties of ROCKLAND NY, so I’m in no rush. Does anyone know of any places physically nearby for gun leather? I’ve been looking at mernickle and jm-leather, but before I pull the trigger on anything shipped, I’d like to know if there’s any hidden gems I can actually go and see in person. As far as carts go I’m open to all suggestions as well.  Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to answer these newbie questions. Also feel free to school me on anything, always willing to learn.

Welcome to the family.... coming to shoots is a good way to maybe meet someone who has an extra rig with them and at times get a great buy. This season is about over but there is a match on the 18th up in Saratoga of you don't mind a good 2 1/2 hour drive... You will also see one of the most amazing cowboy ranges with props that will blow your mind.

Welcome to the game my ex- referred to as "cowboy heroin". Most of us have acquired stuff early on that was not optimal for this game. We have boxes of holsters, multiple gun belts as they shrank over the years, and have minimalized our carts, as they gain weight corresponding to our increase in ages. So, we have excess. Unfortunately , with fall approaching, less will be happening at local ranges. If you can manage to attend any remaining regional, state or annual matches you might still score some great previously loved stuff. try to make face to face contact with anyone who plays this game, we are great folks (some would exclude me)and try to be helpful. New contacts and growing friendships could carry you through the winter and into a much loved sport next year. Sorry I am so far south, I would buy you a soft drink and swap stories on one of the unpleasant winter days. OR YOU COULD plan on coming south to shoot next year. We just finished the Tennessee State Match, with folks from as far away as CA and New Hampshire.

Now comes the really important part GO GET YOURSELF A GOOD HAT

Imis

AHAHAHHA!! “Free America”.... sad but so dang true it’s scary in this unpredictable time we are living in. Snake River Clay, very sorry to hear about your girlfriend, I will be praying for her. Tom Payne I’ll send you a pm. FYI I did go with Zack Taylor, I purchased a couple fantastic items ;). I’ll take pics over the next week or so for all of y’all to see the goods. I am still contemplating about the gun cart, whether to build or purchase. Big thank you to everyone for all the great info.

Sounds like you got a good start on your guns.

Having lived in the Tri-State area for many years I feel your pain. My guns never saw the light of day when we lived in NJ.

Anyhow I would be real careful about going to LI with your guns. Last I knew you would have to go through NYC to get there. WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!

I'd go anywhere but there with guns even in the trunk.

Hope you find yourself a great shoot or two in PA. Maybe Orange Co.

Waimea

Happy Damn Yankee living in Florida

Archived