SASS Wire Forum

Is This a Worn Extractor? - Uberti '73

Kansas City Munny

Hello All,

I have a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle which I've been shooting for eighteen months or so. Guessing there's two thousand rounds down the pipe at this point. I have been shooting the rifle box stock until this past weekend at which time I installed the full range of PGW parts - super short stroke kit, coil mainspring conversion, lightened firing pin extension, firing pin/spring, lever/lifter springs and lightened carrier. 

So all went well and the rifle seems to be timed correctly. I ran fifty rounds through the gun and it functioned smooth and flawlessly. However, Ejection seemed to be inconsistent. Definitely less aggressive than prior to the work. There was a pile of brass behind me and numerous shells around my feet. Some cases were hitting me in the left shoulder or ear. 

So, I took a look at the extractor and there is definite free play. See the attached video.

Is the extractor just worn and this issue is not related to the recent work?

Thanks!

KCM

From the angle presented, the "hook" looks just fine.  The vertical movement however, shouldn't be there.  Two choices.  1).  Take it out and piddle with it.  2).  Take it out and put it someplace safe (Trash Can) and replace it.  Recommend the Extractor from Cowboys and Indian Store.  Some fitting Required.

The actual ejector is the Carrier Block.  If the Extractor doesn't hold the case securely, you lose a bunch of "Flip."

Thank you for the replies. I hadn't thought about the pin being bent. 

It's functional at the moment, but clearly needs some attention. I'll pull the bolt and remove the extractor to see if the pin is bent.

KCM

Just now, Kansas City Munny said:

Thank you for the replies. I hadn't thought about the pin being bent. 

It's functional at the moment, but clearly needs some attention. I'll pull the bolt and remove the extractor to see if the pin is bent.

KCM

Trust me when I say that it is NOT functional... It'll fail on you.

Probably between 2,000-3,000 I'd say. Purchased the rifle new in April 2019. I've been shooting two matches a month since, as well as a regional, state match and Bordertown. It's been box stock until last weekend.

Is it just moving up and down or are you pulling it up and it springs back down on it's own? Because it IS a spring and you should be able to lift it up a bit. Changing to a SS kit will change how the lifter moves and how you work the lever, thus changing how it ejects shells.

Hells Comin,

I'm using Starline brass and have been since this rifle was new.

Springfield Slim,

The extractor moves freely up and down. The down is being handled by gravity rather than any spring action.

KCM

I haven't had any stovepipes or other malfunctions and clean the thing after every match. Not a complete tear down mind you, but a basic cleaning including soaking the bolt/extractor with Hoppes then rinsing with Gun Scrubber. 

I'm guessing this just may have not been properly heat treated at the factory. Hopefully, the C&I will provide many rounds of service.

KCM

Archived