SASS Wire Forum

A question for the dreaded BLACK RIFLE owners.

Looking over the market place for bullets for reloading. Came across the Federal web page. All of the .308 bullets are unavailable, although other calibers are available. I know the .308 caliber is used for building AR types, but 180/200 grain bullets? What gives?

I know little or nothing about that platform. 

Is the 300 AAC a .308 bullet?  I guess I am questioning a 180 or 200 grain bullet in an AR type rifle. 

I thought that game was all about small calibers and super fast and accurate bullets. 

A .308 in 180 or 200 grains could be an accurate bullet, but I just don't see it in an AR platform.

The ARs seem to be the big time bullet guzzlers. Say it isn't so, Joe.  I get so confused. 

I shoot an AR10 in 308. I use a 168 grain bullet. Heavier bullets tend to affect the recoil and may cause jambs. AR10's are also notorious for being over gased causing ejection and cycling problems. I had an adjustable gas block installed and now its good with the 168 grain bullet.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

And taking delivery on a 300 blackout pistol tomorrow, I can attest to lack of ammo/components. 

I assembled a .300 Blackout pistol early this year, just in time for the ammo crisis to hit. I've only got about 120 rounds through it at this point. :unsure:

To answer BMC's question, the .300 Blackout is .308" and with 120gr bullets is ballistically equivalent to a 7.62x39 and can be used for deer. It uses a 5.56mm case necked up to .308 and even uses the same magazines. The only difference is the barrel and flash hider.  Even the bolt is the same. What a lot of guys do however is run the heavy bullets (200+ grains) at subsonic velocities, making a great suppressed home defense firearm with ballistics similar to a .40 S&W or .45ACP.

So that would account for the demand on heavier bullets.  Thanks for the information fellows. 

You can always learn something here in the Saloon.... If you buy enough drinks.  This round is on me. 

My AR is in 45 ACP, but I have uppers for 5.56 and 300 BO. The 45 is suppressed and I'm going to try 300 BO in 220 grain suppressed this week. I downloaded an app for a sound meter to compare.

Horace

2 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

My AR is in 45 ACP, but I have uppers for 5.56 and 300 BO. The 45 is suppressed and I'm going to try 300 BO in 220 grain suppressed this week. I downloaded an app for a sound meter to compare.

Horace

don’t trust your sound meter readings.  It won’t work well as normal sound meters are designed to ignore impulse (gunshot) noise.   It will give readings lower than actual.   Measuring gunshot sound pressure levels accurately requires special microphones and data acquisition systems. 

31 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

don’t trust your sound meter readings.  It won’t work well as normal sound meters are designed to ignore impulse (gunshot) noise.   It will give readings lower than actual.   Measuring gunshot sound pressure levels accurately requires special microphones and data acquisition systems. 

Especially on an Android.   

2 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Just a comparison between suppressors. Not a scientific study.

Horace

Even so, if you have an iPhone you should be good.  If you have an Android don't bother.  A few years ago I was looking into sound meter apps for my Samsung for work.  Something about the algorithms makes them almost useless on Androids but pretty good on Apples.  That might have changed in two years, though.

23 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

So that would account for the demand on heavier bullets.  Thanks for the information fellows. 

You can always learn something here in the Saloon.... If you buy enough drinks.  This round is on me. 

People shoot the heavy bullets in the 300 BO when they shoot suppressed. Since you want to be subsonic to be quiet you might as well have the weight . A 200gr going 900fps hits harder than a 110gr 

18 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

That 300 AAC is a weird looking duck. 

Yup, and it's funny when you handle them because they're so nose-heavy. But they're the best choice if you're wanting .30-caliber performance out of an otherwise stock AR.

The other big deal about .300 Blackout is that it uses fast-burning powder and achieves full velocity out of short barrels. There's no need to go with anything longer than 16" in a rifle, and if you're building an AR pistol or registered SBR you can get away with 9-10" barrels without sacrificing performance. By contrast the 5.56/.223 really needs a 20" barrel, and the shorter you go the more extreme the velocity loss.

The downside to the .300 Blackout is that it has a rainbow trajectory and isn't much good beyond 400 yards.

I'm using 110 grain bullets in my 3oo BLK pistol with 8 1/2" barrel. Probably isn't much of a hunting gun, but it's fun to shoot! :D

At the indoor range today AR15 45 ACP with 7.5" barrel and Gemtech Blackside suppressor. Pretty quiet.  

Installed my MAC 10 suppressor.  Much bigger suppressor.  Even quieter.

Installed 300 Blackout upper with MAC 10 suppressor. Using 220 grain bullets. Pretty quiet.

I let the range officer shoot it in those configurations while I stood behind him. Even quieter.

Horace

On 10/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I shoot an AR10 in 308. I use a 168 grain bullet. Heavier bullets tend to affect the recoil and may cause jambs. AR10's are also notorious for being over gased causing ejection and cycling problems. I had an adjustable gas block installed and now its good with the 168 grain bullet.

That is why my AR-10 build has an adjustable gas block.

P.S. AR-15's are also over gased.  A lot of the range brass I have picked up have dented cases from where the ejected case hit the brass deflector hard.  There is no good reason for the brass to land 25 ft. away from the shooter.  After I installed an adjustable gas key on my Colt HBAR Sporter it no longer dents brass.  All my other AR-15 uppers have stick-on synthetic rubber deflector bumpers from UniqueTek.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:36 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I'm using 110 grain bullets in my 3oo BLK pistol with 8 1/2" barrel. Probably isn't much of a hunting gun, but it's fun to shoot! :D

And it doubles as a flame thrower!

On 10/7/2020 at 3:54 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

That 300 AAC is a weird looking duck. 

Almost like a 30 carbine with a spitzer bullet. The subsonic 190-220 grain cartridge don't look right.  They also are prone to miss feeds from 223/5.56 magazines.  Magpul makes PMAGS specifically for 300BO.  I bought some after I had feeding issues with aluminum, steel & plastic 223/5.56 mags.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

People shoot the heavy bullets in the 300 BO when they shoot suppressed. Since you want to be subsonic to be quiet you might as well have the weight . A 200gr going 900fps hits harder than a 110gr 

A subsonic 110 grain 300BO would turn the AR pistol into a jam-o-matic.  Not enough gas to eject the spent case.  To shot it you'd need a gas cutoff & use the charging handle to extract the fired case.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

A subsonic 110 grain 300BO would turn the AR pistol into a jam-o-matic.  Not enough gas to eject the spent case.  To shot it you'd need a gas cutoff & use the charging handle to extract the fired case.

With the right spring buffer and sizing of the gas hole it could be made to work. But if you’re forced to limit your velocity  why not get the weight. 220’s are throwing twice as much lead at the same speed . Lot better performance than. 9mm sub gun 

6 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

And it doubles as a flame thrower!

Actually it's not hugely bad. I don't load them super hot.

Archived