SASS Wire Forum

Amazon returns

These days, instead of searching for things in stores it has become far cheaper to buy online from Amazon or Walmart, rarely Walmart.  Sometimes the item is a mistake on my part or theirs and I want to return it. First time “ box it and take to UPS store”. Ok, done refunded. Second, ordered almond extract, got mint extract. “Keep it” refunded. Months later, ordered way too much tea bags. Again keep it, refunded. Shared the booty with a friend who drinks way more tea than I do, I figure I gave her a years supply.  There might have been a couple other things that I returned and after the return got to them I got a refund.

i figure the two food items I “returned” represented a potential liability if they got into the supply chain thus amazon didn’t want them.

today I returned a book, the paper jacket was screwed up.  I got the credit moments later, obviously before the book arrived anywhere Amazon

I have never returned food items, but I only buy Clif Bars from them.

I have returned other things and their policy is great, as far as I am concerned. I love that I can just take something to UPS, show them the return email and away it goes. I don't even have to box it up.

39 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I figure the two food items I “returned” represented a potential liability if they got into the supply chain thus amazon didn’t want them.

today I returned a book, the paper jacket was screwed up.  I got the credit moments later, obviously before the book arrived anywhere Amazon

That or just wasn't cost effective for Amazon to take it back.  I've ordered non-food items and when I went to send it back, Amazon gave me my money back and told me to keep the items.

I ordered a weapon light from them, and weeks later it went kaput. When I went to return it they sent me a new one in advance and had me send the other one back later on their dime. Of course this is with Amazon Prime membership, I don't know how they treat non-Prime members. Sadly, it's only because they're such a massive juggernaut that they can afford to do things like this. The small mom n' pop stores don't have a chance to compete, price or service-wise.

You can return items at Kohl's.  Don't need a box or the packaging.  They toss it in a box or bag and do all the paperwork on computer.  By the time I got home my account was credited with the refund.

With Amazon, it depends on if Amazon is the actual seller or if it what way back in time was a Z-shop. Had a return with a 3rd party vendor bought on the Amazon site and the return postage was deducted from the original purchase price (won't go into why I rejected the product).

Could have fought it, but not worth the trouble in this case, unlikely to order anything from that seller again.

But when I have got the wrong product or other clear problems (the fuel filter that was supposed to fit the vehicle in my Amazon garage does not have a replaceable filter!), dropping the item off at the UPS store is amazingly easy. And the refund is issued as soon as the return is entered into the UPS system (subject to Amazon actually getting the product back).

One thing to be aware of, the seller.  I purchased an item from Amazon and it arrived damaged.  OK, I'll send it back. WWWWEeeeeellllllllllllllll, it was from a third party seller, who would not take returns.  I posted pictures of the damaged item in my review of the item and said I would not purchase from them again.  We'll see how that works out.  Until then, pay close attention to the seller.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Update.  I was contacted by Amazon because of the product review I tried to post.  They said I couldn't post it because it was a delivery issue, nothing to do with the product.  I clicked on the link they provided and was connected to Amazon's customer service through their chat function.  I explained my situation and they refunded the cost of the broken item and told me I could re-order it if I wished.  They told me to dispose of the old one.  Sounds more than fair since the damage happened during delivery.

A friend of mine ordered a Aussie leather hat. It was not what she expected and wanted to return it. It was $100.00!!!! Amazon told her to keep it and credited her account! No kidding!!:o It was made in Australia and was shipped from there. Maybe they didn't want to bother with the shipping costs? I have no idea!

We got gypped on Amazon a few months ago. Ordered a freezer when no one else had 'em. They didn't have them either, it was a scam by the vendor. Applied for a refund and they kept $100 for a re-stocking fee. Got to reading reviews on the seller and it happened alot. Amazon's rubberstamp reply was "dispute was not the fault of the seller." Like H*ll.

JHC :angry:

I just returned something last week, they emailed me one of those strange looking black squares that can be scanned.  I took the item to the UPS store they scanned the black square and took it to be packaged and shipped.  Had my refund that day.

Archived