SASS Wire Forum

How would you trade?

Alpo

Leave us suppose that you have an overabundance of one particular type of brass. 38, 45, 9mm, doesn't matter.

And you think that instead of selling it you might trade it, since you have a gun with very little ammunition as you have just a small amount of brass for that cartridge.

Would you offer to trade case for case, or pound for pound?

There is a guy on another board who has an excess of 9mm Luger and is short 380 Browning. He wishes to trade. But his trade offer is pound for pound. He give me a pound of 9mm and I give him a pound of 380.

Seems like a wonderful deal for him, since 9mm is heavier. He sends me 500 cases and I in return send him 650 (or thereabouts).

I would not make that trade, but I was curious as to whether anyone here would think that was a good trade.

I guess you would have to determine the going rate for used brass in each caliber to answer your question.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/380-auto-brass

https://www.starlinebrass.com/9mm-luger-brass

Prices are comparable, so I think you are right to turn down the offered deal

It would depend on what I had and what I wanted. I can go out and pick up .223 and 9mm all day so it has low value to me, basically a little more value than dirt. On the other hand .45 Colt is hard to find. So, if I had them in hand, I wouldn't mind trading my "dirt" for brass.

I just did a similar trade here.  The way I looked at it, the brass I had to trade had little value to me.  The brass the other cowboy had to trade was very valuable to me.  We were both happy with the trade.

I traded with a pard even up and we didn’t even count the pieces, I gave him .44-40 for .38,s. It was a friend he actually gave me more .38’s. 

By weight? Probably not. One for one? Maybe, with the most common cartridges... but I'm not trading .25-20 one to one for 9mm, or .56-.50 one to one for .40 S&W.

Archived