SASS Wire Forum

Are all the fastest duelists ambidextrous?

July Smith

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have seen many Double Duelists draw first pistol, shoot, draw second pistol, shoot, then holster both before going on to next gun.    When I asked about it, first the first guy I saw doing it, and then after the match the MD, they both affirmed that it is not against the rules.

true.  OP's post I answered to referred to pistols last.  

18 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I don't shoot duelist, and someone can tell me I'm death wrong and don't have a clue about what I'm saying, and I'm ok with it, but it seems to me that the time saved would be extremely small.

A small amount of time adds up over 10 or 12 stages. I won my first Category World Championship by 1.88 seconds  after 12 stages.

I think it's worth it.

Randy

I am far from a top shooter, but when I started shooting Duelist many years ago, the immediate thing I did was transition to DD. The next logical transition is to Gun Fighter. Been shooting FC GF for years now. 

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

It gets better with practice, also practice doing other things with your off hand, it helps.

Randy

^ This X 1,000.  When I first joined SASS I knew I wanted to shoot Duelist.  I quickly saw the advantage of shooting Double Duelist but my left hand was pretty much useless when it came to shooting. Best advice I was given was to do every day tasks with your weak hand, especially bathroom tasks.  Brush your teeth, shave, wash yourself, comb your hair (For those of you that are still burdened by that task :D) etc. I doubt I'll ever become full blown ambidextrous, but I can shoot my pistols pretty good with my left hand now. 

5 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Winter Range 2019 I was 2nd place Duelist.  I missed 1st place by 1.09 seconds.  1.09 seconds over a 12 stage match.  That extremely small time saved can be VERY important. 

Yes, I agree that .1 seconds per stage can be the difference in placement, but unless you can shoot equally fast with either hand, doesn't the possibility of losing time exist? And did you both shoot the same way?

4 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Yes, I agree that .1 seconds per stage can be the difference in placement, but unless you can shoot equally fast with either hand, doesn't the possibility of losing time exist? And did you both shoot the same way?

Well than you'd better figure into the equation the slowing of your strong hand do to fatigue.

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

At some point most everyone progresses to where they simply can't shoot the guns any faster.  When you reach that level you save time with efficient transitions from one gun to the next.  Transitions are what separate champions from the rest of us.  Any time I may lose shooting with my weak hand is more than made up for by the ability to quickly transition to the next gun with either hand.  Being able to use both hands on every stage allows for much smoother, quicker transitions. 

A specific example of a time saving transition is going from 1st to 2nd pistol.  Let's say I shoot single handed Duelist.  I pull my left pistol with my left hand and then pass it over to my right hand to shoot it.  The time it took to change from hand to hand is completely wasted when I could have already been shooting it with my left hand.  Then when I'm done with that pistol I have to pass it from my right hand back to my left so it can be holstered.  More wasted time that could have been better spent shooting my right pistol.  

Another example is transition from pistols to long gun at the same shooting position.  I'll shoot my right pistol first.  When I'm done with that pistol I holster it as I'm drawing my left pistol.  As I'm firing my left pistol my right hand is grabbing either the rifle or shotgun, whichever is next.  The instant that second pistol is empty it goes into its holster while I'm brining the long gun up to my shoulder. There are folks who are much better at it than I but here's an example:  2018 SASS Western Divisional

59 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

At some point most everyone progresses to where they simply can't shoot the guns any faster.  When you reach that level you save time with efficient transitions from one gun to the next.  Transitions are what separate champions from the rest of us.  Any time I may lose shooting with my weak hand is more than made up for by the ability to quickly transition to the next gun with either hand.  Being able to use both hands on every stage allows for much smoother, quicker transitions. 

A specific example of a time saving transition is going from 1st to 2nd pistol.  Let's say I shoot single handed Duelist.  I pull my left pistol with my left hand and then pass it over to my right hand to shoot it.  The time it took to change from hand to hand is completely wasted when I could have already been shooting it with my left hand.  Then when I'm done with that pistol I have to pass it from my right hand back to my left so it can be holstered.  More wasted time that could have been better spent shooting my right pistol.  

Another example is transition from pistols to long gun at the same shooting position.  I'll shoot my right pistol first.  When I'm done with that pistol I holster it as I'm drawing my left pistol.  As I'm firing my left pistol my right hand is grabbing either the rifle or shotgun, whichever is next.  The instant that second pistol is empty it goes into its holster while I'm brining the long gun up to my shoulder. There are folks who are much better at it than I but here's an example:  2018 SASS Western Divisional

Great transition to shotgun!

Randy

42 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Nobody has mentioned the infamous Potshot Parker, also a World Champ.  He shoots double duelist.

Potshot is another great Duelist. There are a lot of great Duelists and quite a few of us that hope to be some day!

Amaduelist is another good Single Duelist shooter but I still think the majority of the Top Duelist shooters shoot Double Duelist 

Randy

35 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Great transition to shotgun!

Randy

Thanks.  The next step is to learn to move my darn feet.  That pesky timer keeps ticking while I'm just standing there holstering my pistol.  That's a VERY bad habit I need to break myself of. :(

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Nobody has mentioned the infamous Potshot Parker, also a World Champ.  He shoots double duelist.

You are right and as I remember his mentor was Macon Rounds who "in my time" the first duelist I remember being called to top twenty shoot-off at EOT.  I'm thinking 2000-2003.  The next may not have been until Nuttin who was first in Top 10, 7th as I recollect..

Shooting Bull, Yes I agree that transitions are a great way to save time. Even as a two handed shooter, I try to think about which gun to shoot first in order to best make that "next move." Never questioned that. I guess that I just didn't pick up the OP's question as completely as you and others did. Since there was no mention of transitioning to the rifle or SG, I thought the question was simply about using the weak hand.

As you and others stated, and I think we can agree, unless you work to develop the ability to shoot with the weak hand to a point close to the strong hand, there may not be any advantage to it. 

Thanks for your extended reply. I think it gave the OP a more complete answer.

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well than you'd better figure into the equation the slowing of your strong hand do to fatigue.

Much truth here Phantom.  I write left handed but have always done everything else basically right handed.  When I switched to DD, perhaps close to  10 years ago, I felt so slow with left but I stayed with it.  Today left is faster in splits.  I believe simply because right hand is just wearing out from 75 years of use, not to mention "ol Art" in the thumbs.  Perseverance with the off-hand to be good DD takes time and practice but the reward is worth it in faster time per stage (the draw, holstering, and  especially in transitions).

7 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

As you and others stated, and I think we can agree, unless you work to develop the ability to shoot with the weak hand to a point close to the strong hand, there may not be any advantage to it. 

I couldn’t agree more. Any transition advantage is totally lost if you don’t first work to bring your offhand pistol skill up to roughly equal your strong hand. 

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I couldn’t agree more. Any transition advantage is totally lost if you don’t first work to bring your offhand pistol skill up to roughly equal your strong hand. 

And work on speed, don't worry about misses cuz they will go away. The key is getting one's off hand up to speed with the strong hands.

3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

You are right and as I remember his mentor was Macon Rounds who "in my time" the first duelist I remember being called to top twenty shoot-off at EOT.  I'm thinking 2000-2003.  The next may not have been until Nuttin who was first in Top 10, 7th as I recollect..

Vihtavuori Kid shooting GF was the first I saw shooting in the shootoff at WR and EOT. 1999, 2000, 2001?

14 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Vihtavuori Kid shooting GF was the first I saw shooting in the shootoff at WR and EOT. 1999, 2000, 2001?

Guess you will be buying the drinks.:D  This also would be Ben Avery, right?  Seems as though another alias.....maybe Shane Sterrit

19 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Guess you will be buying the drinks.:D  This also would be Ben Avery, right?  Seems as though another alias.....maybe Shane Sterrit

You are correct. He was/is a great shooter, maybe he has a different alias now. I think he finished 6th OA at WR in 99 shooting GF. Steve Thornton (sp) is his real name, haven't spoken with him for several years. He was also one of the first to really master the SXS and over take those 97 shooters. 

8 minutes ago, Assassin said:

You are correct. He was/is a great shooter, maybe he has a different alias now. I think he finished 6th OA at WR in 99 shooting GF. Steve Thornton (sp) is his real name, haven't spoken with him for several years. He was also one of the first to really master the SXS and over take those 97 shooters. 

But also very good with a 97.  I remember seeing him nail knockdowns in side match at WR like shooting bullets.  I think he had glued shot together.

Definitely an excellent shooter and interesting to visit with.

33 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

But also very good with a 97.  I remember seeing him nail knockdowns in side match at WR like shooting bullets.  I think he had glued shot together.

Definitely an excellent shooter and interesting to visit with.

He flew to Phoenix and gave me his left over ammo, couldn't carry it on the plane. Those sg shells were very heavy, pretty sure they were about 1 1/4 oz loads. Light powder charge with lots of lead. I'm not that gamey and that much lead would be expensive.

IMO, it is really no of your business prying into the personal lives of people in this game. Their orientation is their business, and in fact, they are protected by law... so just let it be. :ph34r: Don't ask, don't tell.

sb

10 hours ago, Snakebite said:

IMO, it is really no of your business prying into the personal lives of people in this game. Their orientation is their business, and in fact, they are protected by law... so just let it be. :ph34r: Don't ask, don't tell.

sb

Uhm....   I assume this is sarcasm....

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Uhm....   I assume this is sarcasm....

Oh... I looked the word up... I thought it was something else.;)

Archived