SASS Wire Forum

M1a scope question

Trigger Mike

Let's say that tomorrow i walk into bass pro and buy the remaining m1a on the shelf for 1629, then they give me 5% off because it has been handled and the clerk is new.  Then I use gift cards and credit card points and can get it for 850 out the door,

What scope and mount would work best?  

Other than a sling that I already have on hand, magazines and ammo what else is helpful?

What ammo works best in the m1a?

Depends on how much you want to spend for a excellent scope and mount or just a scope mount and scope.  In my opinion the best scope mount for the M14 / M1A is the Sadlack M 14 mounts. The Springfield Armory M1A Fourth Gen. mount is pretty good too.  Scope is what you want to pay, Nightforce 8-32 x 32 scope is great for 1900 dollars.....

I take it you have not bought it yet?  If you can get it for $850 then GRAB IT AND RUN!  

This guy probably has all the info that you'll ever want to know about the M1A/M14:  tonyben3

From what I understand the M1A is not as finicky about the fodder as an M1 Garand.  Mine shoots everything I've fed into it.  However don't expect a highly accurate rifle unless you glassbed it.

Howdy,

M1A was my most looked forward to purchase and

least missed when it was sold.

My opinion for sure but I feel this was made to shoot enemy and 

kill or wound. Either takes out one bad boy but wounded soak up

resources to get the wounded back on their feet.

I found mounts tricky and expensive. Scopes too.

If you want to shoot tiny groups far away this is the wrong tool.

If I lived in a combat zone this would be the ticket.

Do you live in a combat zone?

Im sure a lotta pards will argue.

A good bolt action 243 will make ya happier.

Fine.

Best

CR

8 minutes ago, Doc X said:

After trying to like it I finally took the scope off my M1a. For me it just mounts too high for a good cheek weld without a different stock or add on cheek piece.  

Sorry, I was under the impression you had not bought the rifle.  Enjoy it.

56 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Sorry, I was under the impression you had not bought the rifle.  Enjoy it.

I think you confused me with Trigger Mike the OP. I've had both M1's and M1a's for years and like them a lot. I was just weighing in on my experience with scoping one. 

4 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I take it you have not bought it yet?  If you can get it for $850 then GRAB IT AND RUN!  

My thought exactly. $850??? Whaaaaat?

If this is a Springfield Armory M1A, they have a lifetime warranty. Buy it, at price it is a steal! The M14 forum has lots of people who can answer questions for you after you have the rifle. Tony has some great videos out there. Watch them.

As God is my witness, I will have an M1A.

Eventually.

I will not scope it though.

8BBE3456-95CC-48AF-8BE1-DB78EFAD0396.jpeg

Buy it. Shoot it. Don’t scope it. Scoping it can be an aggravating experience. A couple of my friends can attest to that. They constantly tinkered with their’d to get the right mount and scope combo only to remove them and enjoy them the way they were intended to be shot. Iron sights. 

You want a sniper rifle, buy a sniper rifle...or build one. 

that is a good point about getting the scope and mount right.  I will stick with iron sights for now.  Once I registered it for the warranty, Springfield sent an email telling me about discounts on magazines and other items for the rifle.  

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As God is my witness, I will have an M1A.

Eventually.

I will not scope it though.

I have wanted one for decades and even once settled for a Chinese knockoff but it just didn't cut the mustard.  Sold it in the 1990s.  I likely would not have bought it this time around had there not been anything on the shelf and the gift cards had not been burning my pocket.  

2 hours ago, Raylan said:

TM, if you’re going to go with a scope I would recommend what Raylan recommends. Spending 1500 - 2000 dollars only to find you don’t like it or you can trust “”zero” is quite bothersome. 

Howdy,

850 is not the price.

You are giving up valuable gift cards that could buy other things.

But if the itch is that bad buy it/

I estimate you can sell it the next gun shortage and get your money back.

Just remember the real price is sure NOT 850.

Scratch enjoy.

Best

CR

good luck finding ammo.....

Archived