SASS Wire Forum

Replacing a stock on a 66

Rye Miles #13621

I may be buying a really nice slicked up 66 but the stock has the shooters name on the stock. It also has his dog's name on the other side. Just wondering if a woodworker can remove it.

I checked replacement stocks and they're about $130.00 but there's fitting on the customers end since they're "rough cut".

The rifle is about 10-15 yrs old Uberti.

Any suggestions, I have no pics.

Hi, Rye.

If you're talking about the butt stock, it's easy enough to take off.  Take a look at the marauderhomestead.com website for take down instructions.  There's one screw on the end of the top tang which holds the butt stock in place.  Pull the stock off, although it can be on there pretty tight.  How deep is the engraving?  It might be sanded off, but you'll have to refinish the stock anyway, so it's best to do that with a new piece.  Give VTI Gunparts a call and talk to them.  They sometimes have parts that are blemished that will cost less than their posted prices.  I bought two sets of 1860 grips and frames from them that had minor defects and cost a bit less than pristine new ones.  If you're going to get a new butt stock you might need a new forearm as well since it might be hard to match the finish Uberti uses. 

Good luck with it.  Post a pic when you can.

Tex

3 hours ago, WOODFOX , sass#34179 said:

You could always change your alias :D

Woodfox

Hershey Barr???:lol:

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Not hard to change.  Perhaps have a plate inletted to cover the markings and have something you like laser engraved on the same.

Now there's an idea! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!!;)

I thought of maybe a full butt stock cover, I'll have to look into that also. 

I hate to pass up a good deal on a really nice rifle!

A stock from a 73 can work also.

i recently acquired a Navy Arms 66 saddle ring carbine.Not sure of manufacture date but it had the older style square butt plate stock on it.

I used a stock from a Uberti 73 that was already cut down for shortened length of pull to accommodate a youth shooter.

All that was required was drilling the existing screw holes a bit larger and doweling with hardwood dowel and wood glue then redrilling new holes to match the tang of the 66.

It was nearly a match. The holes were barely 1/16-1/8 of an inch from working with no modifications.

DCB0A981-7E1E-46ED-BFE5-5FB43D1E715D.jpeg

1B20A7C8-D89D-421A-A41C-22EE0CC6E26B.jpeg

Thanks to Springfield Slim on the tip for a full buttstock cover from www.whyteleatherworks.com

Check 'em out they have some nice stuff!! Thought I'd pass it on...............

Thanks, Slim

My wife bought a Taylors 1873. She needed a shorter LOP, she's 5'1" tall. The stock was too nice, I couldn't let myself cut it up. Although I never had fitted a stock before & am marginally adept at any form of woodwork, I got a raw stock from Taylors. Using a permanent marker to find the high spots and a sander & dremel to make the high marks disappear, I had the stock fitted in about an hour. It took longer to apply the finish, and if I had it to do over I would have gotten a blank fore stock too. That would have made matching the finishes much simpler.  

Side note, don't do it the family room while watching Gunsmoke. The wife won't like it no matter how good the end results are. Ask me how I know!

Rye, installing a stock that "required minor fitting" is not difficult if you are handy and have tools, or if you have a friend that meets those requirements.  I've replaced a few stocks over the years on older shotguns, including a '97 earlier this year.  And it would probably be best to plan on stripping the forearm down to bare wood so the forearm and buttstock will match.  Getting a full leather rifle butt cover that will cover all the laser engraving might cost you nearly what you would pay for the roughed in stock.

You've got lots of good options.  If it's a good deal, jump on it.

10 hours ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Rye, installing a stock that "required minor fitting" is not difficult if you are handy and have tools, or if you have a friend that meets those requirements.  I've replaced a few stocks over the years on older shotguns, including a '97 earlier this year.  And it would probably be best to plan on stripping the forearm down to bare wood so the forearm and buttstock will match.  Getting a full leather rifle butt cover that will cover all the laser engraving might cost you nearly what you would pay for the roughed in stock.

You've got lots of good options.  If it's a good deal, jump on it.

Thanks Woody, I just may get a stock and have it my winter project. On the other hand Springfield Slim has full butt stock covers for $35.00!! Check out his website! www.whyteleatherworks.com

This answer is extra, you can most certainly find a direct replacement like everyone else has already mentioned, and modify holes if necessary.

But just for the knowledge of the process, If you find someone with a duplicarver, they can cut you a clone stock out of whatever wood you want. I have plans to build one myself using CNC rails, but I have so many projects on that list lord knows when I'll actually get to it.

A lot of people on youtube use duplicarvers to cut custom rifle stocks for profit. 

Archived