SASS Wire Forum

Perhaps a slightly controversial / hard to prove topic: But who does the best smith work on Miroku Winchester '73s?

cjsoccer3

Hi everyone,

I may try to nab one. It will be my first lever gun. I was just curious who would be the best smith to send it to if i were to acquire a Miroku '73. My plan would be to do the works - just simply make it the best all around lever action that it can be. As I'm new to SASS, I may hunt with it more than cowbody action shoot, if that detail at all mattered, but wanted to get folks opinions.

Kind Regards,

Mine is pretty nice out of the box. The only thing I want to change at this point is the lever safety spring, it is a little strong.

I plan to do this work myself. While I am in there, I will do the least amount of deburring/polishing possible.

I have a recent thread here with a link to another thread where someone did their own work, I don't plan to do as much as in that thread. I will also replace the spring rather than modify my original.

But before doing anything, I will shoot it a bit more. I want to be sure I have no warranty issues before I change anything. The same would apply as advice before sending it to a 'smith.

Cowboy Carty or Cody Conagher. If you are game doing by yourself is fairly easy. The Miroku stroke is already shorter from factory. It's then a matter of lightening springs. Also safety spring can be altered some to make it lighter. Have done 2 of my mirokus and work great.

I am not sure who does the best work on the Miroku's, but I don't need anything better than Carty does.  We have 2 of his rifles are they are very nicely done!

Now, if someone could just develop a straight trigger for one....

Totes

The trigger is something trying to figure out how. Thought about cutting the uberti trigger off where would cut the Miroku and weld together but not sure if can.

6 hours ago, MBFields said:

The trigger is something trying to figure out how. Thought about cutting the uberti trigger off where would cut the Miroku and weld together but not sure if can.

Man, trigger profile seems to be getting down to 100ths of a second. Maybe someday I will be that good. I'm still after taking seconds off my stage time, maybe 10 or 20.

I just sent one in 45 to him. He did my 357 acouple of years ago. He gets it back to you quick and i have been well pleased or I would not have sent the second one to him. Irish ☘️ Pat sass 19486 oh yea, Cody Conagher is his name

Thats easy. Cowoy Carty does the best Miroku 73’ work. Not only in feel but also reliability. I choose it over all other guns and tuners in the game. My choice is 100% performance based. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Thats easy. Cowoy Carty does the best Miroku 73’ work. Not only in feel but also reliability. I choose it over all other guns and tuners in the game. My choice is 100% performance based. 

What's his backlog?  Turn around time?  

On 10/6/2020 at 3:41 AM, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah..................What do you know? :rolleyes:

:lol:

8 hours ago, P.R. Undertaker said:

I can't imagine how you could make a Carty rifle any better, so I'm gonna say Western Gun Works without a doubt!

Have to agree.    A lot of people may be working on them,  but if you want the best, Carty at Western Gun Works.     Had one done last year and was so impressed, I have another at his shop to be done soon!!!

15 minutes ago, Zach Taylor,SASS#14359 said:

Leave it alone, just bend the trigger safety spring.

From posts on this forum, several have done so and it seems to work.

But what if it does not work... Getting a factory replacement spring is difficult. If it gets screwed up, the easiest thing to do then is buy an aftermarket spring.

Buying an aftermarket spring first allows putting the rifle back to stock configuration which might be handy in the future.

I like reversible modifications when possible.

Archived