SASS Wire Forum

How to lower the front sight (Ruger Vaquero)

snozzberries

I have a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC in stainless.  I've been shooting factory Fiocchi loads, and then loading up my own rounds.  My current recipe is using 5gr of Titegroup.  I'm satisfied with this load and plan on sticking with it. 

As such I'm thinking it's time to lower the front sight.  Right now it's shoots low, with a Center Hold, so with a 6 o'clock hold, it's very low.

I have 2 questions, first, what tools do you use to shave the front sight?  I have some metal files, but I think they are more for rough work, not pistol work. 

Second, what profile do you shave?  I've drawn 2 lines on the sight in the picture below.  Do you shave one of them, or another one? 

Also, if you know of videos I should watch that would be great as well. 

mRNzZXN.png

I did mine many many years ago, I took both of them to the range with a file, already had the load I wanted, as said above file a little and check file a little and check, I was happy with my outcome, they are not bullseye but close enough for me.

All for now JD Trampas

As stated, "Go slow and check often">

Also, keep the back of the sight taller than the front.

Does not take much.

You do not want to see any reflection from the top of the sight.

Just a straight line to center in the rear sight.

And check your point of impact at no more than 10 yards, shooting standing.   Assuming you want them sighted in for Cowboy matches.

If you don't have a steady hand when using a file, wrap the barrel around the sight slot with a couple wraps of masking tape.  The FIRST time you touch the masking tape, you know what NOT to do again. 

And do not leave a sharp edge on the rear face of that front sight.  It WILL chew up your holsters.   Round it off like the factory does.

It really does not matter much what profile you cut.  What your eye sees is the top edge, regardless of whether it is mid blade or rear of blade.   A bullseye purist would want the blade highest at the rear for ultimate accuracy.    You just need "minute of steel"

Good luck, GJ

6 minutes ago, snozzberries said:

What distance are Cowboy matches shot at?

I figure I use the file to get it to the right height and profile shape, and then polish it smooth to remove the rough edges and make it pretty?

It depends on the match. Sometimes you're so close you might need to back up or risk dinging your pistol barrels on the targets... Seriously, I don't think I've been to a SASS match over seven yards. NCOWS is a little more. I really don't think you need to worry about site height at a SASS match.

I use fine Single Cut Needle Files.  It may take longer, but I don't want to take off a bunch at a time and the cut id smooth.

32 minutes ago, snozzberries said:

I have not.  I don't own the clothes.  I do like the guns though.  :) 

You don't own a pair of jeans, a long sleeve dress shirt and a pair of non athletic shoes?

Red profile, and a few strokes at a time with a single cut draw file, appropriate to the amount of material to be removed. Draw filing gives you much better control of the cut and is considerably easier to maintain a flat surface than cross filing. As above, protect the barrel with a couple wraps of masking tape or duct tape. Finish by breaking the sharp edges with a needle file, polish with 600 grit, and final polish with a felt wheel and Flitz, if so desired.

35 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You don't own a pair of jeans, a long sleeve dress shirt and a pair of non athletic shoes?

I have jeans. My dress shirts are formal for a suit. My shoes are danner boots with nubs that violate the rules.   My hats are baseball caps. 

23 hours ago, Cholla said:

It depends on the match. Sometimes you're so close you might need to back up or risk dinging your pistol barrels on the targets... Seriously, I don't think I've been to a SASS match over seven yards. NCOWS is a little more. I really don't think you need to worry about site height at a SASS match.

That is an easy fix...You just need 2 pairs of pistols plus a back up for each...One pair for long and one pair for short...

Texas Lizard

21 minutes ago, snozzberries said:

I have jeans. My dress shirts are formal for a suit. My shoes are danner boots with nubs that violate the rules.   My hats are baseball caps. 

Only two dress categories require a hat, the boots are likely fine in every category except those same two dress categories; you may have me on the shirt. But please just say "I don't want to participate", rather than blame the clothing. Welcome to the Wire, enjoy yourself.

39 minutes ago, snozzberries said:

Goodwill is filled with button-down shirts. For less than five bucks you can be in high-fashion. There has to be a truck stop or western wear store close that will have an inexpensive hat to keep your gourd from cooking. Seriously, go to matches and shoot before getting too crazy with filing sights, buying guns, leather, or clothing. I don't think half the shooters actually use their sights unless they get a few misses racked up. The pistol targets can be so close most friends that I take to a match laugh and say they can't miss... and then they do because they get too excited.

On my first match I dug into my closet though my old rendezvous clothing, work shirts, and dress clothing. I looked like I was from the cast of "Breaking Amish".

IMG_1079.JPG

2 hours ago, snozzberries said:

I have not.  I don't own the clothes.  I do like the guns though.  :) 

Just go, bet you end up shooting a stage or two,

Take 'eyes' & 'ears'.

A bx of 12ga loads would be good to bring.

Bet you find deals on used gear.....

OLG 

29 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just go, bet you end up shooting a stage or two,

Take 'eyes' & 'ears'.

A bx of 12ga loads would be good to bring.

Bet you find deals on used gear.....

OLG 

Oh that's right you need a shotgun too?  My Stoeger semi-auto won't qualify. 

EDIT:  Oh, and I have a red-dot on my Marlin, and my ammo is all copper plated.  And I don't have a holster for my revolver. 

1 hour ago, snozzberries said:

EDIT:  Oh, and I have a red-dot on my Marlin, and my ammo is all copper plated.  And I don't have a holster for my revolver. 

Is that cluck'n I hear?  :lol:

OLG 

Keep an eye on our classified section, lots of folks have used stuff cheap there! Sometimes even free.

5 hours ago, snozzberries said:

Contact your local club/posse and let them know you're new but want to attend. I did. I was invited out and the club had guns for me to use. I just had to reimburse them for the ammo I used which was $20. Yes, to shoot SASS you need two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. Some cubs use the NCOWS Working Cowboy catagory which is one pistol and one rifle. At the very least go to a match and see what's happening and what other folks are using and doing.

21 hours ago, Cholla said:

Contact your local club/posse and let them know you're new but want to attend. I did. I was invited out and the club had guns for me to use. I just had to reimburse them for the ammo I used which was $20. Yes, to shoot SASS you need two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. Some cubs use the NCOWS Working Cowboy catagory which is one pistol and one rifle. At the very least go to a match and see what's happening and what other folks are using and doing.

Oh it's 2 pistols?  I can't use my Ruger single six 22lr can I? 

Eventually I might go.  In the meantime I need to get my front sigh shaved down.  :) 

I guess that depends on your age. Perhaps you should review the Shooter's Handbook before you procure anything else.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 24_2 MASTER.pdf

Archived