SASS Wire Forum

History Demise of Remington

John Boy

Remington started in 1816 and nearly went of business 50 years later.  Sales of their rolling block to foreign armies carried them up to 1900.  The had some strong successes in both world wars and were known for their bolt guns and shotguns.   Their success in the gun industry has wavered.  I wonder how strong they would be if they were making only premium guns and focused their efforts mostly on being a great ammo manufacturer.

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The lawsuits over the unsafe M-700 trigger, that Remmy knew was unsafe, was a grave digger for them.

Remington mgtm killed the company.

OLG 

Interesting... Did Remington ever receive any triggers that were faulty that had not been worked on by the owners??

I heard they asked for them and none came in...

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Interesting... Did Remington ever receive any triggers that were faulty that had not been worked on by the owners??

I heard they asked for them and none came in...

What I read a good time back was that Rem knew about an issue that caused AD's and failed to take action

I had one that started,  after a couple yrs, would fire when you released the safety if you had pulled the trigger with safety engaged. 

Rem had a recall for this issue. I replaced it with a Timney trigger. 

OLG 

that was an enlightening read , i saw some of it happen and did not put together the whole story till laid out here , not a big finance type myself i seldom think in the same terms as these type do , bad part of it i know a lot of folks that were caught up in it all , 

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What I read a good time back was that Rem knew about an issue that caused AD's and failed to take action

I had one that started,  after a couple yrs, would fire when you released the safety if you had pulled the trigger with safety engaged. 

Rem had a recall for this issue. I replaced it with a Timney trigger. 

OLG 

I had a bull-barrel .222 that did this to me. The last time it did it we were coyote hunting and the crack of the shot made me sick as I realized the danger. I brought it back to the shop I bought it at and said thanks, but no thanks. Had I known that I could have changed the trigger I may have kept it... only to sell it later as the expenses of being a parent piled up. That's what I did with everything else I enjoyed! Goodbye 1981 Jeep Scrambler as well as countless other things. But. I'm not bitter...

41 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I had a bull-barrel .222 that did this to me. The last time it did it we were coyote hunting and the crack of the shot made me sick as I realized the danger. I brought it back to the shop I bought it at and said thanks, but no thanks. Had I known that I could have changed the trigger I may have kept it... only to sell it later as the expenses of being a parent piled up. That's what I did with everything else I enjoyed! Goodbye 1981 Jeep Scrambler as well as countless other things. But. I'm not bitter...

So the rifle was new and the trigger was never touched from it's factory setting?

25 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So the rifle was new and the trigger was never touched from it's factory setting?

I think it was used and I could not say what it's previous owner had done. It was spotless and I bought it from a gun shop. This was 30 years ago. The rifle was gorgeous but I didn't know at the time that the trigger could be changed. I had a 700 BDL in 30-06 that I bought new and never had an issue with it. I still have a 700 in 7mm RM so it saddens me that Remington is going the same route as Winchester. I have to admit that my 30-06 BDL spoiled me in fit and function and it's hard to get excited about the new bead-blasted plastic stock offerings out there.

Archived