SASS Wire Forum

West Coast Fires

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

now that everything has burned over the last ten years will next fire season be better ? 

Depends on what kind of winter we have.  No matter what,  it won't be good,  but it might not be horrible. 

17 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Is there any idea how many were arson?

Just a thought.

A 37 year volunteer on the Plymouth FD was canned.

There were signs all over wanting him to be reinstated.

Only one fire board member voted to do so.

There was a fire near that board member's home.

Coincidence or arson?

Lung cancer is going to make a big presence here in a few years.
AQI > 500 in the bad areas, and 175+ for us here.

I built some effective air filters using a 20" Lasco box fan from Walmart, and a pair of 20x20 MERV-13 filters.
Attach them to both sides of the fan with a bit of duct tape.

Air flow through these tight filters is quite restricted, but they do flow.
MERV-13 filters PM2.5 particles (smoke) as well as allergins.
I am hopeful my spring allergy season will be less severe with these running in the house and bedroom.

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

now that everything has burned over the last ten years will next fire season be better ? 

Sad to say  No we still have plenty to burn 

4 million acres burned  double the last record of  2 million acres 

I hope people clear a safe area around their homes 

Since Gavin loves to say most fires are in National forest they are Pres Trumps fault '

Pres Trump needs to order BLM to go back to clearing fire breaks like it the 60s 

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

Sad to say  No we still have plenty to burn 

4 million acres burned  double the last record of  2 million acres 

I hope people clear a safe area around their homes 

Since Gavin loves to say most fires are in National forest they are Pres Trumps fault '

Pres Trump needs to order BLM to go back to clearing fire breaks like it the 60s 

Cartoon Thumb UpFrom CGN .jpg

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

The environmental policies promulgated over the past three decades is what has prevented this.

Some Good News out of Calistoga.

As the grounds at the Greek Macedonian Park in Calistoga burned, the St. Demetrios chapel stood, the single structure spared from the flames of the Glass Fire.

The park sits on 10-acres on Lommel Road, only 100 yards from Calistoga Ranch, which largely burned in the fire that started Sept. 27. It is popular with the Greek community throughout the North Bay area whose members regularly gather for Easter ceremonies, weddings and baptisms. The park features picnic tables, a bar, a caretakers house, and the St. Demetrios chapel.

“It’s near and dear to the Greek-American community,” said Tessie Calligeros a long time Calistoga resident. “Specifically, the St. Demetrios church was a place where many Orthodox celebrations occurred, from weddings to baptisms, Easter picnics and church festivals.”

The Bay Area is home to 100,000 or more Greek-Americans, Calligeros said, including four or five families in Calistoga. The Easter picnics at the park bring together 1,500-2,500 Greek-Americans across the Bay Area each year, she said. “It’s going to be a huge loss.”

That the chapel withstood the fire is an anomaly. Wildfires can be fickle in their targets, as seen during the Tubbs Fire of 2017 which quickly spread from Calistoga to Sonoma County. Homes along Petrified Forest Road and Mark West Highway were variously burned and spared with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Paradise Ridge Winery’s emblematic sculpture in Sonoma County also survived the flames of the Tubbs Fire as the rest of the property was destroyed.

Stock photo

Calistoga's Greek Macedonian Park in ruins from Glass Fire, but the chapel  survived | News | napavalleyregister.com

i hope all are safe this year and in the future , it sounds like there needs to be a major change to approach to preventative measures - should take priority over some of the BS that seems to get the most attention , 

back when the brownouts and rolling blackouts were the issue i wondered that the government did not invest in the needed energy , now i think im getting an understanding , i dont understand elected officials that want their constituency to suffer but then what im coming to understand is their is a contingency of the population that will elect people to purpurate just that on others - and in some areas of the country they are doing it quite well 

PG&E is blamed for "starting" these fires.
It is very simple: if there was nothing to burn under power lines, there would be no fires.

The hippies and their endless lawsuits prevent the removal of flammable materials under power lines.
For decades the hippies have tied up loggers in the courts so that responsible clearing of flammable duff was prevented.

• Loggers cannot clear duff and dead trees.
• PG&E cannot clear below their power lines.
• Power lines are blocked from being buried.
• Gov. Moonbeam strong-armed PG&E into green energy

With 2/3 of the budget redirected to solar and green energy boondoggles, the 100+ year old PG&E infrastructure was ignored.

As a result, gas mains exploded, fires burned, homes were lost and people died. 
All the little critters the hippies wanted to protect were burned alive.

Last year we took the Skunk Train out of Willits.
As it wound up the mountain, I was amazed to see the depth of the duff under the trees.
When that catches fire, the whole mountain will go up.

19 hours ago, bgavin said:

PG&E is blamed for "starting" these fires.
It is very simple: if there was nothing to burn under power lines, there would be no fires.

The hippies and their endless lawsuits prevent the removal of flammable materials under power lines.
For decades the hippies have tied up loggers in the courts so that responsible clearing of flammable duff was prevented.

• Loggers cannot clear duff and dead trees.
• PG&E cannot clear below their power lines.
• Power lines are blocked from being buried.
• Gov. Moonbeam strong-armed PG&E into green energy

With 2/3 of the budget redirected to solar and green energy boondoggles, the 100+ year old PG&E infrastructure was ignored.

As a result, gas mains exploded, fires burned, homes were lost and people died. 
All the little critters the hippies wanted to protect were burned alive.

Last year we took the Skunk Train out of Willits.
As it wound up the mountain, I was amazed to see the depth of the duff under the trees.
When that catches fire, the whole mountain will go up.

you forgot about our Crazy train  that will run on Unicorn farts 

time for gavin to give the billions back 

The current recall effort is apparently VERY well funded and highly organized.
Emperor Newsom has pissed off somebody with deep pockets and the will required to organize a recall.

First time ever, CA has a negative population growth.
Our youngest is trying to buy their first home.. and still getting outbid by Bay Area types who are fleeing that madhouse and coming to Sacramento.
This means there is now only 10 people vying for a single house, instead of 20.

Archived