SASS Wire Forum

Michigan Slim

9 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Have you ever hunted Pats in lower Michigan. I tried it a couple of times just to keep the shotgun shell manufacturers busy.

But it was fun. Great time to be out in the woods. 

That's gonna mess up his retirement plans!:(

56 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

That's gonna mess up his retirement plans!:(

I think he meant “Cats” maybe...or bats, perhaps. :D

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think he meant “Cats” maybe...or bats, perhaps. :D

Hungarian Partridge, sir. They fly through a shot pattern and escape out the other side. 

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Have you ever hunted Pats in lower Michigan. I tried it a couple of times just to keep the shotgun shell manufacturers busy.

Pat is in Southern California ammo might be hard to get and has be lead free so condors doesn’t get lead poisoning from gut pile 

3 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Hungarian Partridge, sir. They fly through a shot pattern and escape out the other side. 

Too late!

It is now a Pat hunting thread!:P

Yep, he meant Pat's. Grouse to the rest of ya.

I have hunted them my whole life. Shot at quite a few. I've never dropped one in all this time. They have a knack for flying around cover or over my ponds. I have shot a crap ton of branches though!!

Come on out. I own some of the best coverts in Newaygo County. I'm also next to a bunch of national forest.

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

Yep, he meant Pat's. Grouse to the rest of ya.

I have hunted them my whole life. Shot at quite a few. I've never dropped one in all this time. They have a knack for flying around cover or over my ponds. I have shot a crap ton of branches though!!

Come on out. I own some of the best coverts in Newaygo County. I'm also next to a bunch of national forest.

They make you scratch your head for sure. Back in the day when I lived in Michigan, I read an article in the Detroit times, that statistic showed the average hunter shot 1  & 1/2  boxes of shells per bird.  I can believe that. :lol:

5 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

We called them Huns....and yes they do.  On a group hunt with some professor friends of my dad, I watched a hun bust cover atop a hill and fly almost two hundred yard down the hill with  thirteen people shooting at him.  Never got so much a  a feather nicked.  Kind of a game bird's answer to "Hey, hold my beer and watch this".

Chukkars (SP?) are about the same and both are fast and dodgie.

Bobwhite quail can do about the same. Will hold tight and then the whole covey jumps up and scatters in all directions. About gave me a heart attack at times. At least when we had numbers sufficient to hunt. Some bad winters hit the population pretty bad:o:blink::blush:

We lost all our quail in the 70s. Too cold and snow too deep. No pheasant anymore. 

We have Ruffed Grouse (Pat's) and turkeys. Sharptail grouse north of us too. The Hungarian Partridge is a different critter. Likes it more open than our area. Some get released on preserves but no wild birds. 

More turkey than we can count. 

When we moved to Indiana and found some state ground to hunt there were signs in the check station that said DO NOT SHOOT THE GROUSE. SEASON CLOSED.  I asked pa what a grouse was..... The guy working at the station asked "Where you from boy?". I said Michigan and he said "Thems pats." Couldn't believe that you couldn't hunt them. Them things are everywhere back home.

11 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

They make you scratch your head for sure. Back in the day when I lived in Michigan, I read an article in the Detroit times, that statistic showed the average hunter shot 1  & 1/2  boxes of shells per bird.  I can believe that. :lol:

My brother in law is famous for actually getting a double. With witnesses!!!! 

Hunted grouse as a boy back in Appalachian Ohio.

Put many footy prints over hills, hollers, saddles, crick crossings, ridges, military crests, draws and saddles, had many good hunts with many good hunting buddies, and never once in my entire young life did I part so much as one feather from those flying tornadoes!

There is what's called a 'drumming log' right behind the cabin. A male grouse will cup his wings and 'drum' as fast as he can to mark his territory. It's a bass tone that travels quite a ways in the woods. That dang bird does it ALL NIGHT. Someday I'm going to pop him so I can sleep.

We used to listen to grouse drumming, gauging the temperature by the drums.

A drumming log that close to your hacienda would interfere with a man's sleep, all right!

16 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Pat is in Southern California ammo might be hard to get and has be lead free so condors doesn’t get lead poisoning from gut pile 

Not fond of Condor.  Gamy, stringy and gets stuck between my teeth.

Gimme a nice Spotted Owl any day. :D

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Used to hunt them with a .22 pistol... shot from the hip,  Shot so many that the neighbors hid when I drove home, thinking I was going to dump more grouse on them.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Used to hunt them with a .22 pistol... shot from the hip,  Shot so many that the neighbors hid when I drove home, thinking I was going to dump more grouse on them.

:lol:

That the pistol with bent sight and smooth bore barrel

9 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Bobwhite quail can do about the same. Will hold tight and then the whole covey jumps up and scatters in all directions. About gave me a heart attack at times. At least when we had numbers sufficient to hunt. Some bad winters hit the population pretty bad:o:blink::blush:

Had that happen to me a few years whilst pheasant hunting. I was so focused on watching the pheasant that was too far away to shoot, I practically stepped on a covey. They burst up maybe 3 feet in front of me and startled the h*** out of me. :blush:

Archived