SASS Wire Forum

The original "TIME OUT" spot?

Alpo

This is from a book called

THE REAL DIRY OF A REAL BOY

It was written in 1902, and purports to be a diary of a kid in the late 1860s. He said his father made him write it, but he would not read it for at least a year, and the boy figures it father would forget about it by then, so he's going to write whatever he wants to in it. Good book.

Anyway. One of the entries.

>December 2. Skinny Bruce got licked in school today. I told my granmother about it and she said she was glad i dident do enything to get punnished for and she felt sure i never wood. i dident tell her i had to stay in the wood box all the morning with the cover down, i dident tell father either you bet.<

There are a few mentions of either him or other of his classmates having to stay in the wood box.

If you think it sounds interesting

http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/5111

My “time out” was Standing in the Corner. Often preceded by a whipping and followed by going to bed without dinner. 

It happened often. I was a rebellious little kid. 

One of my friend’s Dad made his boys go “sit in the box”. It was a small shed that was tall, almost like a small one hole outhouse. There was enough room for a chair. That was it. 
I was amazed that he went to the trouble to build this useless piece of garbage. He was a nice guy but had a tyrannical streak. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was a rebellious little kid. 

Well you haven't changed much have you, except that you're a rebellious big kid now. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Well you haven't changed much have you, except that you're a rebellious big kid now. :rolleyes:

Yeah...Yeah, I’d say that’s correct. ;):D

We had to draw a circle on the blackboard and then stand there with our nose in the circle.  When released, we had to clean the blackboard where our nose made a mark.   Sometimes there were four or five of us boys all standing at the blackboard.  I was in bad company.

I was in first grade in 1964/65; and, the only time I was spanked was during this time for getting startled by another kid.  I was sent to the office a couple of times just for defending myself.

Archived