SASS Wire Forum

Advice or guidance needed for project

I've got two unauthorized Colt belt buckles that I've had for years.  I bought the first one in June of 1977, and the second one a few years later.  They're both heavy brass, with the serpentine Colt engraved or molded into the front.  

The issue is that the bale (if that's the right term) on the back that the belt attaches to has broken on both of them after years of wear.  I'm looking for suggestions for replacement metal, or a product that I can order and fix them to wear again.

They are my favorite buckles.  They are of a size that is very comfortable.  You can just see the edge of it behind my gunbelt in this picture.  

LMM.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Hey, Mark.

i think your terminology is incorrect.  I think you mean the chape; that would be the piece that the belt leather connects to, but if you can post a photo, it would help. 

Tex

You are more than likely right.  I don't know the exact terminology.  Its the heavy wire or rod that is bent in a "C" shape, with ends through holes cast into the back of the buckle.  The belt folds around it as the anchored end.  I'll post a picture later today.  

OK.  That's what I thought.  It seems to me that if the piece, as you describe it, is broken off in one spot, or has snapped along its length then you would have to replace that piece completely.  They're usually welded on.  If the metal plate is real brass it can be repaired.  If the plate is not then it's probably cheaper to by a new one.  As J Bar said above a jeweler might be able to replace the broken part.

10 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

OK.  That's what I thought.  It seems to me that if the piece, as you describe it, is broken off in one spot, or has snapped along its length then you would have to replace that piece completely.  They're usually welded on.  If the metal plate is real brass it can be repaired.  If the plate is not then it's probably cheaper to by a new one.  As J Bar said above a jeweler might be able to replace the broken part.

I've got Ta jeweler in town I can talk to.  The mold marks are the same, but the attachment points are different.  The chape on the right one broke in one corner, the other has just gotten weak enough that it won't stay in the molded holes.  

buckles.jpg

I broke two such buckles over the years.
One was a Levi Strauss buckle (I know, boo hiss) by virtue of a sneeze.
The day of a funeral, my best friend and I were downstairs, we banked his coal furnace and I got a snoot full of coal smoke and give a big hut-choo and not only did the tongue break, it broke a chunk out of the buckle the size of half a dime.
Threw that thing away.
The other was after a good knock down drag out fight when I was off duty, backing up the Police Chief: I got grabbed by the belt from behind and introduced less than gently to the side of a brick building.
I don't recall it but the Chief said I come off that brick like a spring and drove feet first into the fella that grabbed me, he said 'twas like watchin' a rubber ball in blue jeans bounce off the front of Luckoff's department store: I recall comin' to with a medic bent over me asking how many fingers I saw, and the miscreant was being wheeled off handcuffed to an ambulance cot.

Somewhere in the fracas my belt buckle broke in two at the spot weld holding the chape in place.

My own fault, both times, for wearing cheap belt buckles!

A “chape” is the metal tip on a sheath or scabbard. 

Where the belt attaches to a buckle is called the bar, loop or bracket...apparently. 

I would give these folks a call to see if they can point you in the right direction:

https://www.buckleguy.com/

Maybe they know if a buckle repair service. 

43 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've got Ta jeweler in town I can talk to.  The mold marks are the same, but the attachment points are different.  The chape on the right one broke in one corner, the other has just gotten weak enough that it won't stay in the molded holes.  

buckles.jpg

It looks like you need some new brass wire for both pieces.  The piece on the left doesn't appear to have the holes connecting the bar bored through.  If they can be opened up, a brass rod shaped in a similar manner but going through the holes and connecting to itself in the mid point might be a lasting repair.  FYI, Colt has a similar buckle for sale on their web site for $ 11.24.  It might be cheaper to get one of two from them. 

Looks like sand cast brass. 10 or 12 gauge brass wire and some silver solder will fix your issue, like  he said a bit of wire or a new buckle should set you up.

2nd the jeweler if you don't solder non ferrous metal.

Archived