SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Muscle Car

Okiepan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I'm more of a handling oriented sport cars type petrol-head  than a pure horsepower type, and I really miss my favorite

car which I sold when I went overseas: a '99 Mercedes SL500.  I sometimes think of getting another one with low mileage

until I remember the cost of annual maintenance.  Now I tend to gravitate towards the early Mustangs, and look at a full

restomod of a '65 or '66.  I've also seen a few late '60's Buick Skylarks that appeal!

L1000069.JPG

I had a pukey yellow Skylark sedan the Dad bought for Mom and I inherited it.  Nice little car with a ton of memories associated with it.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The muscle car era ran from about 61 to 70. They were part of the horsepower wars between Chrysler, Ford, and GM. Or factory race cars that could be bought off the dealer lot. Not knocking the cars shown here but most are not "muscle cars". But really nice restorations or street rods.

My 69 Camaro is a "COPO" or Central Office Production Order". You went to the dealer told them what you wanted and it showed up two weeks later. Mine is a basic car, 427 CI and 425 HP, 4 speed, posi-traction car, and radio delete, weight. The horsepower sticker was a lie to meet insurance requirements. They actually were around 475 HP.

Ike

69 Passenger side.JPG

Engine Comp.jpg

69 Front.JPG

Claiming reduced horsepower was a regular thing back then.

They estimated that those 425 horse 409s made around 500 hp with both head gaskets installed!! If those engines had had a decent valve train, they would have been unbelievable!!

GREAT car, by the way!!!

Howdy,

Muscle car pony car, matter of opinion probably.

Many good choices and many great ones too.

Mine was 69 Z/28. Bought from a fella who couldnt drive

it in Chicago traffic.  Left leg cramps.

I sold it when fuel was pretty much unavailable.

I would hesitate to get one now. Too much show car factor.

Everybody is a bit of an expert.  All want to talk when one is parked.

I never drove a Cobra.  That could be interesting.

And they get stolen and stripped or shipped.

There were high performance grocery getters.

Todays counterpart could be interesting.

Best

CR

All time choice 62 vette......or.....they keep it at the corvette museum.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I had a pukey yellow Skylark sedan the Dad bought for Mom and I inherited it.  Nice little car with a ton of memories associated with it.

Dad bought the 69 Skylark in a dark green, for himself.  He bought mom some POS Pontiac as I recall,

not a fun car at all.  Would have loved a turn at it, but he had a habit of breaking them (DWI) and then getting

something even bigger the next time - like a Buick Electra 225!

SC

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Never had a muscle car :( but always wanted a 'Vette.

JHC

71-Chevy_Corvette_LS6-KM-08_RH-01.jpg

About 30 years ago my boss was selling his 4 year old corvette.  It was the first sports car I ever test-drove!   I loved it, but decided against buying it.

I had the opportunity to visit a car show at a castle, and saw some amazing collections on display.  Besides all the

Euro cars there, there are a large number of fans of American cars, and a whole section devoted to them.  There are also

some car shops there that do full restoration and resto-mods as well.

For example, there is one company that does a body off full restoration on Jaguars for around $65,000 on your car,

and they can also do a resto mod and make it into the Jag if it was build with today's components. 

I've attached a link to a photo album showing some of the cars on display -

see what you think!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h1FQnZDvDsknHxMR6

SC

As a  college student I couldn’t afford anything but a six cylinder chevy Nova. My cousin who was close as a brother drove a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 convertible. Man that car was powerful. It would explode out of the hole but it had no top end, miserable brakes terrible road manners. My 1988 Corvette would’ve left it in the dust

I had no car when I got married in 68. Carol had a 62 Rambler American. Yeah.

I replaced it with a 66 Olds 442 in fire engine red.  Yeah!!! :wub: Ohhh Yeah!

12 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I’ve never had any vehicle worth mentioning, but an 80’s square body Chevy/GMC Suburban 4 wd 454 would do it for me.

I had a ‘77 Suburban with a 462 cid BBC! One hell of a race car tow vehicle!!  356:1 gear and a Turbo 400.  It pulled my trailer and car and hauled two families all over the Southeast.  

The engine and transmission outlasted the truck. I put it in an ‘80 Malibu!  You talk about a sleeper!!

Did y’all know that the Suburban is the oldest continuously produced vehicle??  Since 1937!!!!

9 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I had the opportunity to visit a car show at a castle, and saw some amazing collections on display.  Besides all the

Euro cars there, there are a large number of fans of American cars, and a whole section devoted to them.  There are also

some car shops there that do full restoration and resto-mods as well.

For example, there is one company that does a body off full restoration on Jaguars for around $65,000 on your car,

and they can also do a resto mod and make it into the Jag if it was build with today's components. 

I've attached a link to a photo album showing some of the cars on display -

see what you think!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h1FQnZDvDsknHxMR6

SC

when they restore those Jaguars do they replace the electrical system with something that works - all the time?

I have had a few hot rods , were I to get another , I think another AMX  401 , 4sd . would be cool , 

but , I am not hot , to get back into that , street was fun , but I have got old , and lazy 

back when street was street , NOT track cars , on the street JMO 

CB 

17 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The muscle car era ran from about 61 to 70. They were part of the horsepower wars between Chrysler, Ford, and GM. Or factory race cars that could be bought off the dealer lot. Not knocking the cars shown here but most are not "muscle cars". But really nice restorations or street rods.

My 69 Camaro is a "COPO" or Central Office Production Order". You went to the dealer told them what you wanted and it showed up two weeks later. Mine is a basic car, 427 CI and 425 HP, 4 speed, posi-traction car, and radio delete, weight. The horsepower sticker was a lie to meet insurance requirements. They actually were around 475 HP.

Ike

69 Passenger side.JPG

Engine Comp.jpg

69 Front.JPG

I just wet my pants. Sorry....

I posted these on the Prestige License Plate post, but wanted to share here as well.  This is a 1978 Datsun 280Z, special Edition called the Black Pearl.  I bought it in 1980. It is not a muscle car per se, but a true sports car, 170 HP in a straight line 6.   Only 1500 were made in the Black Pearl edition, as the color black was considered a color of sorrow, and it was thought that black would not sell.  This is the original paint, only 93,000 miles on her......

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

6 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

when they restore those Jaguars do they replace the electrical system with something that works - all the time?

If they did that they'd really have something going !

That's why Lucas was known as the prince of darkness!

SC

p.s. - and why they like warm beer!

7 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Lucas invented the three position light switch: dim, flicker and off.

Also invented intermittent windshield wipers and the automatic headlight dimmer!!

Come to think of it, he invented anti-lock brakes too!!! :o :ph34r: :lol:

I'm with @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 on this one.  I was mostly a Triumph fan in my youth, having owned, driven and restored many TR6's.  But, Mrs. Hangtree can't get in and out of them now, so my last one was sold about 5 years ago.  My current project suits my needs.  1971 Ford F100, 240 6-cylinder with three on the tree, no AC, no power brakes or steering.  I'm currently rebuilding the front steering components to get rid of the Ford "wander" when driving.  I love old pickups even more than I do old Triumphs.

Always been a Mopar guy. love the '70 RR's 'Cuda, and Charger. My Mustang choice would be a '68FB. Camaro would be '69 SS. This, however, looks just like the car I did have. '70 Dart Swinger 340 4bbl 4 speed. (minus the stupid rear spoiler)See the source image

4 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Always been a Mopar guy. love the '70 RR's 'Cuda, and Charger. My Mustang choice would be a '68FB. Camaro would be '69 SS. This, however, looks just like the car I did have. '70 Dart Swinger 340 4bbl 4 speed. (minus the stupid rear spoiler)

I have to say that if I were looking among the current crop-- Mustang, Camaro and Challenger-- based solely on looks, I would have to go with the Challenger. I've always thought the current Camaro was just "off" enough to bother me, and the most recent years of the Mustang have gone too futuristic.

8 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Always been a Mopar guy. love the '70 RR's 'Cuda, and Charger. My Mustang choice would be a '68FB. Camaro would be '69 SS. This, however, looks just like the car I did have. '70 Dart Swinger 340 4bbl 4 speed. (minus the stupid rear spoiler)See the source image

Marshal,

we have similar taste in fine cars.   My favorite was the 'pre-catalytic converter' Duster, 340, etc.....

..........Widder

My first car in 1968 (at 16) was a '67 Mustang GTA with the 390 V8. It would do 140 mph, got 8 mpg and went through a set of tires every 10k! Also, it did not have power steering and was harder to drive than a 10 wheeler!

Got married and could not afford to keep it. 

Wish I had it now!:(

Looked just like this one except it had real mag wheels and wider tires.

image.png.fe51c2127323f85753aea7fda987d11a.png

Imagine having this and seeing Bullitt with Steve McQueen!!!!!:lol:

Had a couple, a 67 Mustang with a 69 302 4BBL that would smoke the tires when you kicked into the passing gear, couldn't keep a transmission in it, The next was a 1970 & 1/2 Chevy Z-28 with the 350 CI 370 HP , 4 speed & 12 bolt posi, That went up in flames,The last one was a 69 Fury with a 440, all fun cars.I would love to have the Fury back, For now I'm driving a 05 Magnum RT that I've done some work on, around 400 HP,The ultimate grocery getter.

81oyV3Z.jpg

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Marshal,

we have similar taste in fine cars.   My favorite was the 'pre-catalytic converter' Duster, 340, etc.....

..........Widder

Widder, I traded the Swinger for a '74 Dart Sport like this. but with the factory wheels.

7967420006_large.jpg

And this was my 1st car. A '67 Barracuda 273 automaticSee the source image

I had a '70 Swinger at one time. Dark green with a green vinyl top and green interior. Wasn't a hot car, had the 225 sl;ant 6 and automatic. Had to do some wrenching on it at first, but after I got it squared around ,it was a really nice little ride. Lost it to an ice storm, slid into parked car. After I got it home, the frame broke. I  did really like that one:blush:

Archived