SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Muscle Car

Okiepan

Who remembers when  muscle cars ruled !!!

so if you had a chance ( or have one , you are very lucky if you do )

whats your favorite muscle car you would want ??

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a '69 Charger, 440 automatic, with column shifter.  Lost it in a divorce sale.  Picture is what it looked like when I got it.  Was at the point of painting it and starting reassembly when circumstances dictated a sale.

Would love to have a new Challenger, or a convertible vette.  I'll probably end up with a corvette convertible when I decide to give up the Harley.

robertbycar1.jpg

My first car was a 69 Camaro. My first true love. My brother had one and I had to have one. Older brother had a Mustang. Sister had a Fury. Just used cars then. 

Sure miss my car. I'll have another. My wife had a 77 Firebird. That car had a top speed waaay off the speedometer.

I need to be that guy and ask, what do you mean by "muscle car?" Do you mean an intermediate sized car with big engine and high horsepower, or do you include the "pony cars" in that definition as well. I ask because my answer depends on your definition.

If we're including pony cars in the mix, the answer is easy. I would want another 1970 Mustang, either a well restored Boss 302, or a restomod version with modern handling, brakes and engine/trans combo. Probably the latter if I were going to be driving it often.

If we're talking the bigger cars, I would be really torn. Probably either a Plymouth GTX with 440 and a 4 speed, or a 1970 Torino with 429 Cobra Jet, shaker scoop and 4 speed. Maybe an earlier Fairlane with the 390.

20 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My "muscle" car. Love Mustangs too. 351 Cleveland putting out over 400 hp at the crankshaft.

Ranchero 1.jpg

Rancho.jpg

Ranchero  351.jpg

Love it! I'm a big fan of the Rancheros as well, especially the Fairlane based models of the late sixties.

I have never really been interested in “muscle cars”. I liked “sports cars” and “Roadsters”...and pickup trucks. 

I loved Triumph’s, MG’s, Porsche’s, cars like these. My Dad’s friend had a Triumph “Spitfire” that I loved. He would take me on Road Rallies and I would be his Navigator. 

Eventually I was able to by my first Roadster / Sportscar. A 2005 Mazda Miata. I loved that car. I sold it when I lost my job in 2012. 

Now I have a 2006 Miata MX-5. 
AC38F9EE-7353-4C0D-9EC8-276380DFECF3.thumb.jpeg.b724998b010e033a0477581246036bbc.jpeg

If I could afford it I would own a McLaren 600LT Spider. Super fast. Super nimble. 
I will probably have to win the lottery to afford that. An Audi TT convertible would be a nice compromise. :)

Until then, I have my fun, fast and nimble roadster. :D

1970 Corvette,T-tops,4 speed ,300 horse 350,removable rear glass.

Or a 1970 Chevelle SS,450 horse 454,4 speed,3:73 Posi-Trac.

Any year Nova SS with a 4 barrel V-8 and a 4-speed.

Owned most of these ,but my dream car is a 1969-70 AMC Rambler S/C, the Scrambler Rambler (yeah, yeah I know),325 horse 390,4 speed, limited slip with 4:10 gears ,either paint scheme would do.

Choctaw Jack 

I bought a new 1970 1/2 Firebird Formula 400 in Aegean Blue with a black leather interior.

My wife named it the Iron Mistress.  It was a 160 mph car out of the box.  After seven months I let it get repossessed because the gas and insurance bills were more than the payments and I couldn't get an offer to sell it for what I still owed.

I've never seen another one like it and only two other Formula 400s in the '70-'72 year range.  Seems everyone went for the Trans AM.

Would I buy another one?  Probably not.  Like Pat, I was more into sports cars.  I'd take an MGA, an Austen Healy 100-6, a 1968 Datsun 1600 roadster, or a Lotus Eleven in a second.   Even a TR-3 or a Fiat Abarth would do.

Saw a pretty little Austen Healy "Frog eyed" Sprite last week.  It's about as big as a house slipper.  I couldn't even begin to get into one any more.

1958 Hillman Husky

289 Ford with auto trans and rear end out of 1969 Ford Galaxy (210 HP at the rear wheels)

MG steering.

Morris Minor bucket seats.

Light pearl blue with pearl white accents.

Tapestry headliner, blue velvet diamond tuck covered seats.

Photos during build.

At this point the car was drivable.

Note: Mustang in background is a 6 cylinder, auto, 1966. (could not afford the V8 model)

hillman58-02.jpg

Just put in headliner. (not complete)

hillman58-09.jpg

And then there was my everyday car.

1948 Chrysler Windsor. (restored it in 1972)

chrysler01a.jpg

For a wish-list, I'd probably opt for a Dodge E-body, i.e. Challenger with the 426 hemi and 4-speed.
One of my clients had this in his '70 Cuda as a daily driver.
It sold for $126,000.

The closest we ever got was when I shoe-horned a 440 and A7 from from a cop car into my wife's grocery getter.
Other than the above, I had/have zero interest in muscle cars.
For the last 27 years I drive a 91 Toyota truck, ugly as sin, 100% ignored by the thieves, reliable as the sunrise and cheap to run.

My favorite is either my neighbor's beautifully restored '69 Camaro or the Bandit's Pontiac Trans Am.

I do have an affinity for an El Camino with a 350. Never understood why, but I do.

How about a front wheel drive '71 Caddy El Dorado with factory 505 hp? ;)

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Would I buy another one?  Probably not.  Like Pat, I was more into sports cars.  I'd take an MGA, an Austen Healy 100-6, a 1968 Datsun 1600 roadster, or a Lotus Eleven in a second.   Even a TR-3 or a Fiat Abarth would do.

I got to drive a Lotus Elise in 2006. WOW! Was that fun. :D

I got to open it up on SoCal canyon roads. Still makes me grin. 

A friend of mine had a 70? Datsun 1600. It was a beat up little white convertible but boy it was a fun car. 

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never really been interested in “muscle cars”. I liked “sports cars” and “Roadsters”...and pickup trucks. 

I loved Triumph’s, MG’s, Porsche’s, cars like these. My Dad’s friend had a Triumph “Spitfire” that I loved. He would take me on Road Rallies and I would be his Navigator. 

Eventually I was able to by my first Roadster / Sportscar. A 2005 Mazda Miata. I loved that car. I sold it when I lost my job in 2012. 

Now I have a 2006 Miata MX-5. 
AC38F9EE-7353-4C0D-9EC8-276380DFECF3.thumb.jpeg.b724998b010e033a0477581246036bbc.jpeg

If I could afford it I would own a McLaren 600LT Spider. Super fast. Super nimble. 
I will probably have to win the lottery to afford that. An Audi TT convertible would be a nice compromise. :)

Until then, I have my fun, fast and nimble roadster. :D

I'm actually with you. As I mentioned in the Mustang thread, I'm more about handling than straight line performance. If I could have any car back that I previously owned, it would be my 1984 RX-7 GSL SE. It was pure fun to drive, so long as you didn't let the rear tires get into anything other than hard pavement. My Neon R/T is a great handling vehicle as well, which is why I bought it, although if I had been able to buy an ACR instead, I would have. I'd love to find an unmolested 1st Gen ACR.

My Dad had an auto repair shop in the 50s -70s. He also had loaners (there were usually seven of them) . So, I drove a variety of cars.

My least favorite was the green metal-flake Henry J. (Stupid me.)  My favorite was the '57 Ford yellow and white Skyliner. Second place went to the turquoise and white '57 Chevy Bel Aire.

1957 FORD SKYLINER RETRACTABLE HARDTOP - 43663 Sold* at Scottsdale 2007 -  Lot #374.1 1957 FORD SKYLINER RETRACTABLE HARDTOP  https://BarrettJacksonCDN.azureedge.net/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/43663/43663_Front_3  ...

1952 Henry J Vagabond | Minnesota Street Rod Association (MS… | Flickr

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air | PJ's Autoworld

The first car I bought myself was as '65 Mustang.

1965 Ford Mustang for sale in Concord, NC / ClassicCarsBay.com

Stingray pics need an AWESOME  button.

:D

I'm more of a handling oriented sport cars type petrol-head  than a pure horsepower type, and I really miss my favorite

car which I sold when I went overseas: a '99 Mercedes SL500.  I sometimes think of getting another one with low mileage

until I remember the cost of annual maintenance.  Now I tend to gravitate towards the early Mustangs, and look at a full

restomod of a '65 or '66.  I've also seen a few late '60's Buick Skylarks that appeal!

L1000069.JPG

I’ve been fortunate to have owned several “muscle cars” along with a couple of hot sports cars and one or two high performance “pony” cars.

My second car was a 1966 Chevy II Nova SS. It was a 327/350 hp 4spd 2 door hard top.

Next was a 1965 Olds 442.  It had a sissy 310 automatic that I swapped out for a high winding Chevy 283 that was built to the gills and really nasty, with a Turbo 400 transmission.

Next was a fairly tame 1968 Chevelle. It was nothing special.

I got married and moved to Georgia where I bought a 1972 Yenko Stinger Vega wagon. When the aluminum engine failed as they were known to do, I dropped in a 327 with 3 deuces and a PowerGlide. When the rear end failed, I stuffed a 12 bolt Nova rear end under it.   I sold it to my brother-in-law who lived in Atlanta and he pretty much destroyed it.

Next was a 1969 Chevelle with a 350 and a 4spd. Fun car!! Ran good and looked and drove great.

I traded it for a 1964 Impala SS with a 409/425 and a 4spd. This car was brutal!! I pulled the heads to remove the extra head gasket installed at the factory. They put two gaskets under each head to lower compression and reduce horsepower. I also substituted an RPO Z11 camshaft for the original cam.  The car was so violent that it split the rear axle housing wide open one night when I dumped the clutch while sitting on a new concrete bridge. We repaired and reinforced the housing and the control arms and it proceeded to crack the rear quarter panels where the C pillars for the roof attached.  Added ladder bars and reinforced the rear frame rails and it finally got to where I could make a weekend without having to trailer it home!!  Most impressive street car I have ever owned!!

After that, Hatfield got old enough to play sports and I stopped street racing, going strictly to sanctioned drag racing. If the race car broke, I still had a ride to work and didn’t have to spend money on it if I didn’t want to.

I’ve owned a couple of Corvettes and numerous other “performance” cars, but these are the ones that I wish I had back!

Come to think of it, the ONLY car I have ever owned was a 280ZX back in 88-89. Fun car. Everything else has been a truck or Jeep.

Ain't never owned no Chevy neither. ^_^ A Camaro might rectify that.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

My Dad had an auto repair shop in the 50s -70s. He also had loaners (there were usually seven of them) . So, I drove a variety of cars.

My least favorite was the green metal-flake Henry J. (Stupid me.)  My favorite was the '57 Ford yellow and white Skyliner. Second place went to the turquoise and white '57 Chevy Bel Aire.

1957 FORD SKYLINER RETRACTABLE HARDTOP - 43663 Sold* at Scottsdale 2007 -  Lot #374.1 1957 FORD SKYLINER RETRACTABLE HARDTOP  https://BarrettJacksonCDN.azureedge.net/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/43663/43663_Front_3  ...

1952 Henry J Vagabond | Minnesota Street Rod Association (MS… | Flickr

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air | PJ's Autoworld

The first car I bought myself was as '65 Mustang.

1965 Ford Mustang for sale in Concord, NC / ClassicCarsBay.com

A kid I went to school with took his daddy's Skyliner over the mountain 35 miles away.  On the way back he tried to raise the top....at 70mph.  Fifteen years later his dad was still beating him whenever he felt the urge

My 57 Chevy was a four door 210.  The front end wouldn't stay aligned, the vent wings popped off regularly, the right side "fan" decoration was pulled out of fields and road side ditches until I fastened them in with screws, and the whole show was a terrible rust bucket.  I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

If I could find one in great shape and at a reasonable price I'd like to get a '63-'64 E Jag coupe.  My wife always wanted one and we could never afford it.  Candy Apple red with a soft light tan leather interior would do just fine.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS I currently have a '64 Stingray.

DSC02479.JPG

DSC02481.JPG

DSC02482.JPG

There's local body shop owner with a marvelous electric blue '63 with Thrush side pipes, wire wheels, and all the nifty neato-keen stuff.  His brother says the man who owns it has turned down over a half mil for it.

The muscle car era ran from about 61 to 70. They were part of the horsepower wars between Chrysler, Ford, and GM. Or factory race cars that could be bought off the dealer lot. Not knocking the cars shown here but most are not "muscle cars". But really nice restorations or street rods.

My 69 Camaro is a "COPO" or Central Office Production Order". You went to the dealer told them what you wanted and it showed up two weeks later. Mine is a basic car, 427 CI and 425 HP, 4 speed, posi-traction car, and radio delete, weight. The horsepower sticker was a lie to meet insurance requirements. They actually were around 475 HP.

Ike

69 Passenger side.JPG

Engine Comp.jpg

69 Front.JPG

Archived