SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Questions

Cholla

There are cowboy matches on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Does one have to compete on all three days? How many stages are each day? I am asking because I would like to attend but I don't want to burn up vacation time for days I don't need to be there. I assume I would still need to pay the entire fee regardless of how many days I attend.

It's the National Championships.

It shoots all three days.

800+ shooters. 36 Posses.

You shoot 4 stages each day.

You rotate starting times, i.e. if you shoot at 0800 on Wednesday, you shoot 1500 Thursday, and 1100 Friday.

So yes, you have to shoot all three days.

This is the dilemma that us working stiffs face when it comes to big shoots.  But all sports are like this for larger events.  It just depends how dedicated you are to the cause and if mama agrees it's a good use of vacation days.

Cholla,

I went to WR two years ago and burned up 84 hours of vacation doing so. Made the remainder of the year pretty vacationless, but it was very worth it.

I think my traveling pards would agree going to WR was a great trip. Lots of memories and laughs and new experiences.

There is another option. Register as a conventioneer.

Guest Badge for your significant other is available as well.

This allows you access to the match without committing to the entire  3 days.

Please contact Sunshine Kay with your specific questions.

Her contact information is on the Winter Range web page.

Many come in and pick up packages on Wednesday, opening  ceremonies that evening...shoot the match and travel home the Sunday.

The match actually runs seven days. Monday-Tuesday Wild Bunch. Wednesday side matches. Long range, Plainsman, speed events, etc. Thu-Fri_Sat main match. Sunday Shootoffs and awards. I didn't see the 2021 schedule up on the website, but this was the schedule they have basically used.  Winterrange.com.

In theory, you could get into town Wed, shoot the next three days and leave on Fri or Sat, they'll ship any awards to ya. All you gotta do is ask. I will tell you traveling on top of shooting four hours a day, someone already gave ya the schedule, it pretty full. Traveling on top of that....wow. But there it is if you want to use the minimum of your vacation hours.

I've shot this match since 2005. Pretty much every year since. I can tell you there is no finer match. The Winter Range staff of volunteers work their butts off every year to bring the very best to CAS.  

Dubious Don, you old rascal, miss you at Cowtown and ACSA, hope you are doing fine.  Cholla, just met you at High Country Guns and Knives the other day.   If you want to know about WR schedule, just contact me or Turqouise Bill, we are here to help you.

Hey Jake,

Yeah 2020 has been....well, I thought 2019 was a little off LOL. Finally re-retired last year and was looking forward to having more time for CAS. Of course then came 2020. Sheesh, what a year. Everything's good as can be expected, Cimarron's been having medical issues which are slowly getting worked out. Between the virus screwing up the appointments and such, everything took months longer than it should have. She has some more to go and we are hopeful she can get back to it by next year.

Archived