SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range going away after 2021

Roger Rapid

Feb 2021 is last year for Winter Range - sure going to miss it!

RR

My bad! Sorry for not being clear.

Misty's column in latest Chronicle says that 2021 is last year for WR, and that - in essence - EOT will replace it (at Ben Avery). 

So - I've always enjoyed WR and will certainly miss it...

RR

So WR which was the national is moving to oklahoma and EOT which was the world championship is moving to phoenix? Is that correct? So we still have both shoots....

38 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

My bad! Sorry for not being clear.

Misty's column in latest Chronicle says that 2021 is last year for WR, and that - in essence - EOT will replace it (at Ben Avery). 

So - I've always enjoyed WR and will certainly miss it...

RR

It'll be the same match...I would think. Just a name change... Different buckles... No biggie.

To be clear, starting in 2022 the Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders who has been hosting Winter Range the SASS National Champion coming up on our 30th annual this coming February 2021 will be hosting the World Championship End of Trail starting in 2022. The same group/board that has been producing WR for these many years will now transition to hosting the World Championship.  The dates for EOT in Phoenix in 2022 will be the same time in February. 

To be clear, the name "Winter Range" will be retired, and the National Championship will be moved to Land Run. 

Be assured that the quality of match that you have come to expect from WR will only be enhanced with this transition as we expect to attract more of our International friends, vendors for your enjoyment, and shooters who want to compete against the best at the highest level along with those that wish to be apart of the spectacle. 

That said, WR will be shooting our 30th annual in 2021 and EOT will be shooting their 40th annual. You absolutely do not want to miss either of these great shoots. They are going to be GREAT matches, and you will want to say "I was there"!!!!

Nine Toe Joe

WR Deputy Match Director/Range Master/Ranger Coordinator 

3 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Nationals at Land Rush Run will be in 2022...About dates to plan with?????

Texas Lizard

They will most likely wait until the upcoming Land Run (which is very close) to announce what the dates will be for next year.

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Thank you I was corrected earlier also...How is the weed business doing???

Texas Lizard

Sorry. I'm an FFL... But even if I wasn't I wouldn't use drugs to alter my reality... Don't even really drink.

Yooo Phantom, hope you are doing well as an FFL retail dealer in this absolutely gun and ammo and reloading supply crazy time.   As an FFL part time retail employee I know what you are going thru.  My word of the day to customers is "NO" I don't have it and I can't get it.  Hang in there pard, if our side wins the election we will still be in business. 

26 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Yooo Phantom, hope you are doing well as an FFL retail dealer in this absolutely gun and ammo and reloading supply crazy time.   As an FFL part time retail employee I know what you are going thru.  My word of the day to customers is "NO" I don't have it and I can't get it.  Hang in there pard, if our side wins the election we will still be in business. 

Yeah, it's a crazy business. Lucky my shop is by appointment only. My main activity is buying estates.

• 3 weeks later...

SASS doesn't own Founders Ranch, the founders do.  It wouldn't surprise me if it went on the market but I do feel badly for those individuals that invested in buildings at the ranch.  Maybe you don't know but SASS didn't pay for most of the buildings individuals did then donated the building to the ranch.  Thus the Copper Queen, Happy  Jack saloon and so on.

I am one of the many  that donated to the church. In my mind it was a DONATION to help with erecting a church. I’m not sore about it, else wise I wouldn’t have donated!

On 10/4/2020 at 3:23 AM, Texas Lizard said:

Nationals at Land Rush will be in 2022...About dates to plan with?????

Texas Lizard

October 11th to 15th 2022

4 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Don't forget about all the people who donated to the church! 

For sure, guess the church is the "hardest to swallow", but then there was those who worked in building props and the town structures........ and let us not forget investments of the Founder's Club members.

That will be interesting Billy, how the founders club entitlements are handled or dropped.

21 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Could be a tuff one to do...Been doing Bordertown...8 hour drive or 3 day, maybe more drive....Hard to beat Tombstone....

Texas Lizard

Time for a change then cowboy. I guarantee you'll love the OKC range and the National Cowboy museum, plus many other things to see in OKC

Hard to beat Tombstone the town , but will beat Bordertown IMO

I understand a number of clubs are considering shifting dates for their events to avoid conflicts and to take advantage of the change.  Some may be unable due to competing events at their ranges, but I would not assume that the dates for any match will be the same in 2022 and after.

17 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

That will be interesting Billy, how the founders club entitlements are handled or dropped.

It'll cost the Founders to get rid of those buildings and level all the shooting bays. They may have to do some lead abatement. Unless, they find a buyer that wants to keep that property as a shooting range. I have some property that was part of an old ranch, one of the neighboring parcels is for sale, the owner calls an old trailer and falling down barn "improvements", he wants extra money. It would cost me to get rid of those "improvements". One person may call those buildings at FR assets, others would call them an expense. Best thing they could do is move them or give them away.

Archived