SASS Wire Forum

Anyone know of a manufacturer of 12ga stainless steel magazine springs? FOUND SOME!!

Fireball #7709 Life

17 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Thanks, I'm not seeing where the spring is Stainless steel.  I'm just looking for the spring.

3 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Thanks, I'm not seeing where the spring is Stainless steel.  I'm just looking for the spring.

Yea, I saw that and thought for the price is should be. Think what I paid for mine several years ago. Might be worth the call to see if it is if you can't find another somewhere else.

19 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Thanks, that's what I had in mind.  out of stock of course. :P

Sure Cycle is for waterfowl hunters with a strong focus on magazine shotgun reliability.  Stainless steel magazine springs among the doo-dads available for purchase.  You should find something adaptable to your needs.

https://www.surecycle.com

In case others have rusty mag springs, I can attest that these (cut down) work great in my 87's.  Too early to tell on rust resistance, but since I'm shooting BP all this month I'll be putting them to the test.  https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/magazine-tube-parts/magazine-springs/remington-870-stainless-steel-extended-magazine-tube-spring-sku084000154-19644-43753.aspx?sku=084000154

There are now some really good rust preventatives out.  They are very helpful for regular arn**, steel and stainless steel.

I believe there is a version of WD40 that works quite well - not the standard stuff.

I've used several marine type stuff but have had great luck recently with Frog Lube to avoid rust.

Clean your metal thoroughly to remove rust.  You may need to use fine steel wool, then a good cleaner or alcohol. 

(Be sure not to drink it all -  put some on the metal.)

Then coat the tube,  spring and follower with the anti-rust stuff.

**Arn - a metal often purchased in Oklahoma

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I think they sell a lot of A R M steel down in Florida, and possibly your neck of the woods as well. Already Rusted Metal.  :rolleyes::D

The climate in Florida will make egg shells rust before the chicken can lay them.B)

Archived