SASS Wire Forum

A Turning Point - What a Great Opportunity to help Grow SASS!

Shamrock Sadie

There is a lot of discussion going on about the major SASS events move; mostly positive and some with “concerns.” Both the Arizona Territorial Rough Riders (at Ben Avery Shooting Facility in Phoenix, Arizona) AND the Oklahoma Territorial Marshals (near Oklahoma City) are great organizations with committees that go out of their way to make a great match for everyone. Being on both sides of the country may be inconvenient for some shooters for traveling, but I believe it is a great strategic move to have these two large events separated by distance so that “we” can grow membership into this great SASS organization across the country. It also provides an opportunity for shooters in other countries to visit both sides of the US.

• Knot and I have only attended a State Wild Bunch match at Oklahoma (which was very well organized) and we know that they have a fantastic facility for a large match; including hotels and camping (on range and nearby). We have heard nothing but great things about their Regional match and it has been on our bucket list for quite some time to attend; looking forward to attending this year’s event! I know that lots of shooters (local and from afar) will step up to the plate in volunteering to get them going for this new National Championship adventure!
  • The Arizona Territorial Rough Riders (current National event) already have a great reputation for their Winter Range daily events and beautifully created stages/venue. Lots of hard workers and the most volunteers I have ever seen for a match; very well organized. With Blackjack Zak’s committee at the helm and now having a World title, I’m sure they will come up with some great marketing ideas for the World Championships to attract even more spectators and potential new shooters.

Both organizations have about a year (plus) to market these big matches to attract not only shooters, but spectators (potential new shooters). Both venues are in a great location with lots of hotels and other things to do. I bet each venue’s committee will leverage that and get the media involved, including spinning it up on social media.

• The Arizona Territorial Rough Riders had channel 10 out last year during the WR match (a major local station). Both organizations could reach out to other local channels in other states that support gun rights and have them run a story.
  • I am sure there is a SASS shooter out there with media talent that could get a video together to send to those stations and on social media to promote each event; perhaps a combo marketing campaign.
  • These two organizations could also request shooters around the country (and world) to help identify those local media outlets (and major cable outdoor channels) that might run a National and World Championship segment. It’s early enough to do that.
  • Getting the word out to all of the different shooting disciplines across the country to have them promote these two major matches would help too.
  • Adding an extra activity (for any SASS event) in assigning SASS shooters to walk around and talk to the spectators about SASS can attract even more people to shoot SASS. We all commonly see spectators while we shoot and occasionally can get out to talk to them, but what might work better is to have specific volunteers to roam the range looking for spectators to meet and greet and talk to them about what we do. The SASS shooters (reps) can even do a mini tour of the facility/stages or if venues can accommodate, have the shooting reps on a stage to talk about SASS. We need to keep this sport growing, right?

Anyway - just some of my thoughts for getting the word out to potential new shooters who might see how much fun we have. With all that said, let’s get that positive spirit going to support these two great organizations as they shift over to these big events. We especially need to support the new SASS Advisory Board as they guide and support the SASS executive management team. We all want this sport to grow and if we all work together, leverage volunteers who are willing to help (and put any ill feelings and egos aside); and focus on SASS as a whole, then we will make tremendous strides in growing this great organization.

Reach out to these two organizations and your local club to see what you can do to help grow SASS. This turning point is a great opportunity for us all to help each other with marketing ideas and come together to grow SASS and bring in new shooters. Hey - I’m your huckleberry. I’ll help out. Who else?

See you on the trail!

Another idea:

There should be a locked in post on the Wire for ideas for attracting more shooters. Or - a page on the SASS portal with ideas. Would be good for this to keep going. There’s always talk about “how do we get new shooters,” but no collective compiled ideas.
Misty - can you toss around the idea with the new advisory committee about creating a page on the SASS portal for how our membership can help grow SASS? It really has to be all of us working together on this to come up with ideas.

One thing I thought they should have done at EOT was set up a spot where those coming in as spectators could watch a video that would explain how SASS started, the different styles of shooting, something about costuming, smokeless vs black powder and such with a 'challenge ' to go see how many different styles of shooting and different clothing types  they could identify on the range. Perhaps a scorecard could be given to them so they could check off what they found.

Most people might just see men and women shooting at targets and not realize they are watching a classic cowboy or a B-western shooter, or a duelist versus a gunfighter, or a townie and a banker and a saloon  girl. If they don't ask they may not realize why some shooters make so dang much smoke!!! Getting them educated with a 3-5 minute video might make their day more interesting. And we for sure have folks that  would do a bang up job.

Suggestion: An email group for the SASS Advisory Board would be good to have. It can be put on the Contact Us page on the SASS portal. That way, all of the members’ ideas could go to that group for funneling up to the Executive Committee. Someone on the Executive Committee should also be on the Advisory group email. Suggest that the Advisory Committee also look at the Wire for ideas too.

On 10/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, Maurice Mo Lassess, SASS #65309L said:

One thing I thought they should have done at EOT was set up a spot where those coming in as spectators could watch a video that would explain how SASS started, the different styles of shooting, something about costuming, smokeless vs black powder and such with a 'challenge ' to go see how many different styles of shooting and different clothing types  they could identify on the range. Perhaps a scorecard could be given to them so they could check off what they found.

Most people might just see men and women shooting at targets and not realize they are watching a classic cowboy or a B-western shooter, or a duelist versus a gunfighter, or a townie and a banker and a saloon  girl. If they don't ask they may not realize why some shooters make so dang much smoke!!! Getting them educated with a 3-5 minute video might make their day more interesting. And we for sure have folks that  would do a bang up job.

The video could be set up at multiple places on the range (I know that would work for Ben Avery with how it is set up) and just keep looping through the video. Wonder who could put this together; maybe Jon Sanchez, Mame, lots of people.. There are lots of videos on you tube that could be edited together with some cool cowboy music.

Archived