SASS Wire Forum

Powder Procurement

Joke 'um

At Sportsman's yesterday.  I was looking at the few lonely jars of powder on the shelf.  Grabbed 1 pounders of HP-38, 3031 and 4831 and put them in my basket.  There were no 'limit' signs posted. 

There was a 4 pound jar of Clays.  It is pretty versatile but, I went with the three more specialized numbers.

At the register (you know the story already) the clerk said I could only buy one jar of powder per day.  I asked about the 4lb container still on the shelf.  Could I buy that?  Yes.  So, I could buy 4lb in one jar but, can't buy three pounds 'cause its in three jars.  Yes.  I didn't buy any yesterday or the day before.  Could I buy those now?  No, I'd have to come back to buy one on two future days.

"Managers" are having a ball using their rule making power these days.  Is there anybody in charge of thinking?

10 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

At Sportsman's yesterday.  I was looking at the few lonely jars of powder on the shelf.  Grabbed 1 pounders of HP-38, 3031 and 4831 and put them in my basket.  There were no 'limit' signs posted. 

There was a 4 pound jar of Clays.  It is pretty versatile but, I went with the three more specialized numbers.

At the register (you know the story already) the clerk said I could only buy one jar of powder per day.  I asked about the 4lb container still on the shelf.  Could I buy that?  Yes.  So, I could buy 4lb in one jar but, can't buy three pounds 'cause its in three jars.  Yes.  I didn't buy any yesterday or the day before.  Could I buy those now?  No, I'd have to come back to buy one on two future days.

"Managers" are having a ball using their rule making power these days.  Is there anybody in charge of thinking?

That's why they made 'policies'.  Saves folks from having to think.

Sort of like how 'zero tolerance policies' have led to kindergartners getting suspended for biting a PopTart into a gun shape getting suspended or the A student getting 10 days because he helped Grandma move over the weekend and a butterknife got left in the bed of his truck.

Shipment of ammo came in to a LGS a few weeks ago, my lady let me heard about it and I was in the area. She wanted a case. I wanted a case.

Get there, find the pallet, and see the sign:

Limit: 10 boxes or 10 cases per customer per day

Um, OK, 2 cases it is.

Not sure what the point was... Case price was the same as 10 boxes. And individual boxes for sale were in opened cases.

Looked at the receipt when I got home, it was rung up as 2 line items, qty 10 boxes and qty 10 boxes.

All too often, management makes a rule with a specific purpose in mind, and the employees don't understand it fully.

I always respectfully ask if they would mind if I spoke with a supervisor for clarity when that happens, understanding that everyone there is just trying to do their job without getting fired.

Sometimes I get a real thorn of a manager and I call it a loss without pushing. Other times they teach the cashier of an exception they are allowed to make, and everyone wins, including the person behind me in line who can now go grab another can before checking out lol.

10 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Looked at the receipt when I got home, it was rung up as 2 line items, qty 10 boxes and qty 10 boxes.

His register doesn't have a case lot button on it, so a case is rang up by the box.  Hitting a 1, a 0, and the box price key works just fine for a cashier or a non tech savvy operator.

Besides, unless you were rang up by the owner or the manager, the guy behind the counter doesn't have the authority to access to the system deeply enough to do the programming or setting up a new register key.

A few years ago I was at a Sportsman’s Warehouse in Oregon. They had a 2 box each limit on .22 ammo. So, I grabbed 2 boxes of each of 3 different brands. I also had about $250 worth of other items in my cart. 
I get to the counter and the lady says “Nope! Only 2 boxes!”

I told her the sign say “2 boxes of EACH.”

She acted like she was my mother-in-law or something and snapped back “Pick the 2 you want. That’s all you get!”

I said “No, You can shove it lady”

I walked out leaving everything on the counter. 
I never went back to that store. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A few years ago I was at a Sportsman’s Warehouse in Oregon. They had a 2 box each limit on .22 ammo. So, I grabbed 2 boxes of each of 3 different brands. I also had about $250 worth of other items in my cart. 
I get to the counter and the lady says “Nope! Only 2 boxes!”

I told her the sign say “2 boxes of EACH.”

She acted like she was my mother-in-law or something and snapped back “Pick the 2 you want. That’s all you get!”

I said “No, You can shove it lady”

I walked out leaving everything on the counter. 
I never went back to that store. 

I stopped dealing with that H'sA outfit a few years ago.

I've had more favorable experiences with Sportsmans.  The discount coupons they give at matches have helped pay for much lead shot.  This Spring they were selling large and small pistol primers for $1.99/hundred.  I didn't really need them but could not pass up the bargain.  I'm grateful for my supply now.  Like most sales help at big box retailers they give much rubbish advice.

Archived