SASS Wire Forum

Ford Mustang owners?

Dantankerous

To satisfy part of my ongoing midlife crisis I'm toying with the idea of a muscle car.  Not something to take to the dragstrip but more of a fun daily driver. The Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro are at the top of that list. Knowing very little about either except that power plants seem to vary widely over the years I am looking for thoughts and opinions based on what you've had experience with perhaps owning or driving what the Mustangs have used for the last 10 or 15 years. I think the GT model currently is offered with an 8 cylinder while everything else is a V6. I hear good things about their Eco Boost engine but have no real world idea. I know, it's not a muscle car unless it has at least 8 cylinders ;) but I'm not sure I want to pony up another $10,000 or $15,000 just to get more speeding tickets with the V8. :D

Not looking at anything newer than a 2014 or 2015 model. Probably something more like 2007 to 2010.

Any helpful thoughts and considerations are much appreciated.

This has been my dream mid-life-crisis car for some time.  Hopefully, some day I will get to own one. 

692000800_ScreenShot2020-10-02at11_33_04AM.png.c41acb96dbe871e390adb92d447ced27.png

Best of luck on your search.

Personally, I would go with the V8.  They are proven.  I have had family members unhappy with their turbochargers.  What you may save in gas, you will be spending in repair bills.

YMMV

The 2010 and later Mustangs were making a minimum of 210 horsepower, by 2015 300 horsepower. For reference, the mid-eighties Mustang GTs at the beginning of the new horsepower wars, were making 175 hp, and making 315 hp by 2010. Some of the latter year V6 cars could be had with handling packages that were akin to the GT models, if you can find one. Personally, if I were able to find a 300 HP V6 Mustang with a manual transmission and handling package, I wouldn't need a GT. Of course, I enjoy handling more than straight line performance.

I've had many Mustangs. If you don't drive the 5.0 you won't know what your missing. Four cylinders or six can be just as fun. I have a 300 hp four cylinder Mustang stock car. The new 5 liter GT is awesome but isn't cheap. I would say, pick one you like the look of. 

Here is what I would do, Dantankerous. I would rent a Mustang and I would rent a Camaro and test them each out for a day.

Rental companies usually have the 6 cylinder models. Some actually have the 8 cylinder models, but they charge like they have 12 cylinders.

I rented a 2015 Camaro a few years ago. It had the 6 cylinder 323 HP engine and let me tell you, that was a fun car. My only complaint was that darn console screen that would pop on with the rearview camera when putting the car in reverse. That car had plenty of power.

I used to own a '68 Mustang that had a 289 and that was a fun car, but now they are stupid high in pricing.

Back in my college days (1972), one rare, hot San Francisco day I was taking an electric trolley bus to work.  Power went down, and we were stuck.  As it happened, it broke down next to a used car dealership.  Sitting there sweltering, I looked out the window and a car caught my eye...

I disembarked, and fifteen minutes later wrote the guy a check for $500 and drove off in a "Cascade Green" 1964 1/2 Mustang.  I was barely even late to work!

Six cylinder, no-synchro-in-first three-speed manual transmission, AM radio... super simple to work on. 

Lordy, I wish I still had that pile o' junk.  :blush:

1964_00025_03.jpg

2009 GT Deluxe, 300hp could smoke tires quite nicely, handled ok with stock size tires, got better with a modified front end and larger tires. Interior was ok, got some squeaks and rattles about 90k miles. Overall not bad car. SOld to purchase a PU

In my early 20s I had a '67 Mustang. 289 4-bbl, auto, disk brakes, tilt steering... it was loaded. It was also that putrid pea green they came in and had a white vinyl top as well. I rebuilt the engine and replaced the vinyl top, and repainted it myself to burgundy. Unfortunately it continued to rust every year, made worse by our wet PNW winters and no garage to keep it in. Eventually I sold it when I realized I just couldn't keep up with the maintenance. Here I am now, years later and I now have a warm garage to keep cars in and sorely wish I still had that Mustang. :(

Working on the service drive of a car dealership, I've had the opportunity to drive both. While I like the looks of the newer Camaros, they are a real pain for me to get in and out of, and not much visibility out of the rear window. Almost bought a 2014 Mustang, but the seat belt hit me too high. Drove a 2006 Mustang GT. Nice. That's the car I would get. But that's me. 

I have a 2010 GT as my everyday drive. Love it! That said, since I bought it used, I have done much research and in 2011 Ford updated a lot of things i wish I had now. Mainly the v8 engine is 4.6 liters, 2011 is 5.0 liters, also upgraded the front suspension for better handling. If I were lookin to buy now I would like a 2011-2016 GT. Also don't forget about the Shelby GT, I have seen them for under 30k with only 50-60k miles on them. Now there's a midlife crisis car.

Mustang & Camaro are not Muscle cars.....They are Pony cars.  :P

Anything less than a V8 is a waste of time and money.

Mustang:  2010 - 2014 is the best body style of the current generation.

I have heard that current Camaro's have visibility issues.

Im my opinion, Consider going Vintage ...... 1967 - 1970.

Married since 1971, my wife always wanted a NEW Car. Dec 22, 2014 I bought her a Brand new Camaro. It has a 323 HP V-6 that's extremely fast and it doesn't Purrr, it Growls!!  The Camaro has a 6 speed auto and has paddle shifters on both sides of the steering wheel. it will put you back in your seat. 19 mpg city and 30 mpg hwy, and it's fun to drive. I've driven Pony and Muscle cars all my life and this car should delivery many smiles per gallon without breaking the Bank paying for the 426 HP V-8 or the bigger 7.0 Liter 550 HP V-8. Years ago the V-6's started to get really good HP and have not failed to deliver in the 2014 Camaro. She retired that year and has only 10,900 miles on it.

120564532_10218193303412152_314065708373732521_o.jpg

I've had a few Mustangs over the years. Last one was an '05 with the 4.0 V-6 and automatic.  To be safe, make sure you bend in all the old places okay because it could be a deal killer if you can't. Back seat........ forget  it at our ages. The six had plenty of giddy-up and the styling was nice. First fastback I ever had, all my others were notch backs. Had a '65, '66, '67, '68( that one was a looker that I tinkered with and it ran fairly quick for a 289). Look at them if you want.:blush:

It’s all about the sound....if you don’t care about a deep growl or putting straight pipes on it the 6 is probably fine but less time proven.  The 8 will sound much better.

For what it’s worth my only mustang was an 05 GT and so many people would stop and say how good it sounded at a light or something.  I would push it out of the garage in the mornings and start it in the street to not wake up wife on way to work lol.

On the other hand, having had F-150s with the 2.7 eco, the 3.5 eco, and the 5.0 the biggest dog was the 5.0.  The 2.7 was the quickest and most responsive believe it or not while being great on economy.  I understand they are differently set up than the car but maybe will help.

my choice would be the challenger :)

Bought a 67 mustang back in the mid 70s.Paid 100 bucks for it.No hood or Headlinr.It did have a 390 CI.It was a runner.Ended up junking it out.:wacko::(<_<

Largo

5 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Working on the service drive of a car dealership, I've had the opportunity to drive both. While I like the looks of the newer Camaros, they are a real pain for me to get in and out of, and not much visibility out of the rear window. Almost bought a 2014 Mustang, but the seat belt hit me too high. Drove a 2006 Mustang GT. Nice. That's the car I would get. But that's me. 

The seat belt is adjustable. Push a little button and it slides up and down. I slide mine down so it don't eat my neck. 

My first was a 1970 Sportsroof. 302 Windsor w/ a healthy cam and 650 Holley, C4 trans. Tall gearing so it wasn't especially quick, but top end was impressive. Dark green with green interior and the fold down rear seat. Unfortunately, it needed more work than a college student could afford, and it was taking up space in my parent's garage. Sold it for much less than it was worth. My parents told me he stopped by while I was in Basic Training, and had restored it. Painted it black, redid the interior. Never did get to see it, always wanted another.

Before you buy, talk with your insurance agent.  If you have a VIN of a prospective car that's better. 

I was getting the itch to buy the wife an orange Mustang.  The one I was looking at happened to be a 2013 Boss 302 (no supercharger or turbocharger).  The ad had the VIN, sooo.  At $900 every 6 months I gave up.  Clean driving record. 

Anyway,  good luck on your search.  As someone else mentioned,  I also prefer the seating position of the Mustang. 

Luck,

BS

I rented a 2011 Mustang GT in 2011.  That car would MOVE!  It was fun to drive and if I wanted a muscle car I would buy one in a heart beat!

With any older car, remember that all the rubber and plastic has been outgassing ever since it was built and is likely to be brittle.

Duffield

I almost bought a Ford Boss 302 Laguna Seca model. around 2012 to 16. Track ready suspension, rear seat delete, aero package. It had the magic key, Insert and turn and suddenly you had a high horsepower race car. Turn it back and street beast. Many bought them to sell them quickly. Insurance companies wanted tons to insure them. ALso turning the magic key voided the warranty!!!

Watch the Camaro sight lines out fo the side windows. I'm 6' and had a hard time looking back or out of them in general.

Ike

Get a Charger.  I don’t like what’s happened to the Mustang.  I remember the ‘64, and my older brother had a ‘74 Mustang that wasn’t bad.  But eventually, the body shape got boxy and less sporty.  Then in 1990, it was redesigned into a sporty look again.  Now, it’s gone boxy, again.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back in my college days (1972), one rare, hot San Francisco day I was taking an electric trolley bus to work.  Power went down, and we were stuck.  As it happened, it broke down next to a used car dealership.  Sitting there sweltering, I looked out the window and a car caught my eye...

I disembarked, and fifteen minutes later wrote the guy a check for $500 and drove off in a "Cascade Green" 1964 1/2 Mustang.  I was barely even late to work!

Six cylinder, no-synchro-in-first three-speed manual transmission, AM radio... super simple to work on. 

Lordy, I wish I still had that pile o' junk.  :blush:

1964_00025_03.jpg

Gorgeous!  I remember seeing the Mustang debut at the NY State World's Fair and fell in Love!  Lee Iaccoca saved Ford with that car.

SC

On 10/2/2020 at 7:47 AM, Dantankerous said:

To satisfy part of my ongoing midlife crisis I'm toying with the idea of a muscle car.  Not something to take to the dragstrip but more of a fun daily driver. The Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro are

<SNIP>

Not looking at anything newer than a 2014 or 2015 model. Probably something more like 2007 to 2010.

Any helpful thoughts and considerations are much appreciated.

Might want to take a stroll through these listings:

Classic Cars for Sale on ClassicCars.com

There are some cars here that make my head spin.

SWMBO and I are both thinking we'd like to have a nice car from the 60's or early 70's, some looks, some power.

Mustangs and Camaro's from 64-69, a few other cars like Buick Skylarks, etc.

Want to go back to the days of all mechanical ignitons, etc. 

For the preppers in the crowd, electronic ignitions fry in an EMP event.

I remember adjusting valve lash and setting ignition timing,could do it again if needs must!

Plus, for the cost of a more modern car you can have class and style.

SC

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

Might want to take a stroll through these listings:

Classic Cars for Sale on ClassicCars.com

There are some cars here that make my head spin.

SWMBO and I are both thinking we'd like to have a nice car from the 60's or early 70's, some looks, some power.

Mustangs and Camaro's from 64-69, a few other cars like Buick Skylarks, etc.

Want to go back to the days of all mechanical ignitons, etc. 

For the preppers in the crowd, electronic ignitions fry in an EMP event.

I remember adjusting valve lash and setting ignition timing,could do it again if needs must!

Plus, for the cost of a more modern car you can have class and style.

SC

I regret to inform you EMP will fry the ignition coil & the condenser.   The only vehicles running after an EMP will be old diesels that have pull to stop knobs or a medium or heavy duty truck with a CAT with non standard energize to shutdown rack solenoids.  Or a small John Deere or Yanmar tractor with an electric motor rack puller.  If the battery is dead & it's running you have to pull the air cleaner element and stuff a towel in the AC housing.  The fastest way is to set RPM to idle put it in gear & step hard on the brakes.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

I regret to inform you EMP will fry the ignition coil & the condenser.   The only vehicles running after an EMP will be old diesels that have pull to stop knobs or a medium or heavy duty truck with a CAT with non standard energize to shutdown rack solenoids.  Or a small John Deere or Yanmar tractor with an electric motor rack puller.  If the battery is dead & it's running you have to pull the air cleaner element and stuff a towel in the AC housing.  The fastest way is to set RPM to idle put it in gear & step hard on the brakes.

Guess I'm gonna have to rethink my plans . . . .

On 10/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Waymore Loco said:

The seat belt is adjustable. Push a little button and it slides up and down. I slide mine down so it don't eat my neck. 

That is how it works on most cars, but not is one. Could be because it is just a base model, but it is in a fixed location and cannot be moved.

I had a '68 Mustang that had a money detector in the driver's seat. That thing always broke down for the exact amount of money I had on me at the time. :lol:

The night before I sold it the darn thing threw a rod. :angry:

The two happiest days I had with that car were the day I bought it and the day I sold it...for $300...because it threw a rod...

Howdy,

Just a thought....

My cousin wanted a camaro convertable.  68 or so....

Her husband bought three tired or wrecked camaro. Same year.

He pieced one car together and bought a few parts andd had a pro paint it.

It was a pretty reasonable cost.

Then he started selling the leftover parts.

And selling and selling. 

A lot of unexpected cash rolled in.

Made the final price very reasonable if you dont mind the work.

Later a deer totaled the car.

My cousin hates deer now.

Best

CR

Archived