SASS Wire Forum

Please Delete

Sarge

For Sale

#1:  Winchester Model 12.  This gun appears to have been built in 1927.  Along the line, someone refinished the stock and did a re-blue.  I had the barrel cut to 18 3/4” and an oversize bead installed.  The gun also has a Pachmyr recoil pad.  I have not had any action work done to the gun. $400.00 Shipped to a U.S. address.  

#2 (Sold) Winchester Model 97 D Series takedown.  According the Serial number, this gun was built in 1906.  I bought the gun from Mackinaw Kid, who set the gun up.  It has an oversize bead and the barrel has been cut to 18 ½ inches.  The forcing cone has been extended.  Mackinaw did a repair to the carrier (see photo).  The gun will squeeze 6 rounds into the magazine, but it is a tight fit.  It wears a Kick EEZ recoil pad.  $600.00 Shipped to a U.S. address.  

Sarge

DSCN1132.JPG

DSCN1133.JPG

DSCN1128.JPG

DSCN1129.JPG

DSCN1130.JPG

2 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

If the Model 12 is 2 3/4" chamber, I'll take it.

I believe it is, but I don't have the gun with me.  I am on a hunting trip.  Can check when I get back Monday.

6 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

According to this article, the 12 ga was chambered in 2 3/4".  But let me double check.

1 minute ago, C.N. Double said:

There were 3" versions, and I do not want a 3".

Got it.  

1 hour ago, C.N. Double said:

There were 3" versions, and I do not want a 3".

I don't think they made the 3 inch back in the 20's, the barrel could have been replaced with a 3" but that wouldn't matter as long as the internal are 2 3/4 or modified.

Mine is a 3"... There is a way to make them as smooth and reliable as the 2 3/4... I've done 2. Goatneck Clem told me how to do it. All you really have to do is replace the lifter with one from a 2 3/4. I replaced mine with a non flagged one, then modified it to take the flag from the original 3" lifter. There is also a mod you can do to the bolt to make it as smooth as the 2 3/4. Best part is it will still cycle and fire 3" shells! I have no idea why they made the bolt and lifter different in the 3 but the added weight of the 3 inch barrels is nice for sucking up recoil...

(Estate 2 3/4" 1oz)

On 10/1/2020 at 10:54 PM, C.N. Double said:

Just got home and looked at the gun.  It is not marked either 2 3/4" or 3".  On the barrel, it is stamped Nickel Steel and Full Choke.  I did try a 3" shell and it chambered easily.  If I was a betting man, I'd say 3" but I do not now for certain.

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Just got home and looked at the gun.  It is not marked either 2 3/4" or 3".  On the barrel, it is stamped Nickel Steel and Full Choke.  I did try a 3" shell and it chambered easily.  If I was a betting man, I'd say 3" but I do not now for certain.

Thanks, Sarge. I appreciate the extra information, and I hope your hunting trip was productive. I'm going to pass on this one, but I'm sure it is a fine shotgun another shooter will enjoy.

12 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

Thanks, Sarge. I appreciate the extra information, and I hope your hunting trip was productive. I'm going to pass on this one, but I'm sure it is a fine shotgun another shooter will enjoy.

No worries.  Hunting trip was great.

I believe a 3 inch shell will chamber in a 2 3/4 chamber due to the extra space for the crimp to go when fired.  However if you fired the 3 inch the crimp is now opening in the barrel instead of chamber and pressure goes way up.  marking may have been polished off during reblue.

2 hours ago, roughcreek, SASS#42949 said:

I believe a 3 inch shell will chamber in a 2 3/4 chamber due to the extra space for the crimp to go when fired.  However if you fired the 3 inch the crimp is now opening in the barrel instead of chamber and pressure goes way up.  marking may have been polished off during reblue.

I appreciate that.  Is there any other way to tell?  There are some markings on the follower.

I checked my M12. No marking for that on my barrel either.  So I got out my little steel ruler.  If you look down the chamber you can see the forcing cone.

Sticking my rule in till I feel the forcing cone at 2.7 inches.  2 3/4 inch shell is 2.4 inches. leaving 0.3 inches for the crimp to unfold.  I measure a 3 inch shell

to be 2.6 inches.  It fits in the gun but the opening of the crimp is restricted by the forcing cone, raising pressure.  A 3 1/2 inch shell is bigger in diameter so

wont fit.

That is my findings on my M12.

Thank you.  Will try to check it after work tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, roughcreek, SASS#42949 said:

I checked my M12. No marking for that on my barrel either.  So I got out my little steel ruler.  If you look down the chamber you can see the forcing cone.

Sticking my rule in till I feel the forcing cone at 2.7 inches.  2 3/4 inch shell is 2.4 inches. leaving 0.3 inches for the crimp to unfold.  I measure a 3 inch shell

to be 2.6 inches.  It fits in the gun but the opening of the crimp is restricted by the forcing cone, raising pressure.  A 3 1/2 inch shell is bigger in diameter so

wont fit.

That is my findings on my M12.

Have been researching this.  Based on serial number date range, it appears the 3" didn't start until 1934.  This gun was built in 1927.  https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/1/12/a-look-back-at-the-winchester-model-12-shotgun/

39 minutes ago, loopikas said:

It is.

Archived