SASS Wire Forum

coffee and a bismark ,

watab kid

I keep watching The Thin Man series. I was born too late!

thats one i enjoy as well , seems folks were a bit more sophisticated back then , or maybe they had fewer changes of clothing to choose from ? any way ive not worn a tie since the nintys and im found in jeans daily these days so im not one to preach on sophisticated dress , ball cap or cowboy hat is norm as well - odd for one that never wore ca hat till his 50s huh ? 

edit to not neither would be called sophisticated , but they are comfortable 

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A great series, the chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell is incredible and I really enjoy watching the two of them in the series.

I've watched two SILENT films.  One was called "Birth of a Nation" and is cited by historians as a primary contributing factor to the resurgence of the KKK in the 1920s.  It was pretty bad.  This was for a black history class I took in college.

The other was "Nosferatu," which was an obvious plagiarism of "Dracula."  It wasn't a bad movie in it's own right; I just prefer to have sound :) This movie wasn't for a class; I just read something about it and how it influenced the development of the horror genre, so I decided to watch it for myself.  

Have you seen this one? I LOVE YOU AGAIN. Bill is a crook who has had amnesia for eight years, and somewhere in that time he married Myrna. Now he's got his memory back, but she wants to divorce him.

A Bismarck is a type of filled pastry that resembles a doughnut without a hole. Also known as a Berliner, Bismarcks are typically made of yeast dough fried in lard, filled with fruit jam and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of icing glaze. According to Leite's Culinaria, Bismarcks, known as "Bismarcken" in Germany where the nickname originated, were a favorite snack of Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, who was responsible for uniting Germany following a series of wars in the mid-1800s. German immigrants who entered the United States in the early 1900s brought the recipe and terminology with them, and filled doughnuts are still commonly referred to as Bismarcks, particularly in the Midwest.

(Source: https://www.reference.com/world-view/bismarck-doughnut-73301952257bcbf7 )

(As an aside, Bismarcks filled with jelly are called Berliners, which led to a good natured Presidential gaffe:  John F Kennedy, in Berlin, proudly declared to the crowd, "Ich bin ein Berliner!"

The crowd hesitated, then laughed politely ... he'd intended to call himself a Berlin, that is to say, one of them:  instead, he proudly declared, on the world stage, "I am a jelly doughnut!" -- but they loved him all the more for it!

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ I'm sorry, please excuse my ignorance but .......... what is a bismark ?

(I'm guessing it's not a big boat)

:huh:

It's a type of doughnut. Depending on where you are, it can be called different names, or be made different ways. Around here, they'll usually be elongated with chocolate icing and some sort of creme or custard filling.

At least y'all saw that it said Bismarck.

I've opened this thread a half a dozen times. I've even replied to this thread.

And all this time I thought it said coffee and a biscotti.

Maybe I need to clean my glasses.

My source said the term was more common in the west and south. That makes it odd that it was used at Tiffany’s, though the script was likely Hollywood.  In Germany it’s called a Berliner, which gives humor to JFK’s “Ich bin ein Berliner”.

Don't forget that Holly's husband was Jed Clampett, and she had grown up on the farm next to him.  She went to New York and learned sophistication, but she was born poor white down south.

Hepburn was age 31 when she made that movie... the very height of her beauty.
I just finished reading The Thin Man.. was surprised to find out that Dashiell Hammett was an avowed communist.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:15 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Myrna Loy was delicious.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:56 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I've watched two SILENT films.  One was called "Birth of a Nation" and is cited by historians as a primary contributing factor to the resurgence of the KKK in the 1920s.  It was pretty bad.  This was for a black history class I took in college.

The other was "Nosferatu," which was an obvious plagiarism of "Dracula."  It wasn't a bad movie in it's own right; I just prefer to have sound :) This movie wasn't for a class; I just read something about it and how it influenced the development of the horror genre, so I decided to watch it for myself.  

Birth of a Nation was shown in Woodrow Wilson's White House.  It was right up his racist alley.  Most racist POTUS post Civil War.  He resegregated the federal civil services & military.  *What amazes me is it took until the unrest after George Flood's death for the woke crowd at Princeton to realize having a building & school named for him wasn't very woke.  His name should have been removed from the building & school back in the 70's.  Of course Wilson was a progressive hero until his racist deeds were included in history texts.  At UC Berkley in the mid sixties I took upper division US history courses & there was nary a mention of Wilson's racist deeds.  The only negative was his draconian crackedown on opponents of US involvement in WW1.

* Wilson's deeds were much worse then the CSA generals who the woke crowd want removed from public view.

Wilson was the most tyrannical of all Presidents, and the founder of today's "progressive" party.

Another bit for the cancel culture:  Seattle was named after Chief Seattle, who was a fully documented slaver.
Q: When are they going to cancel Seattle, like they did to Aunt Jemima, and Butterfly McQueen?

On 10/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

For chemistry Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn. 

Or the Tracy& Hepburn movies.

But I think the best pair was Wayne and O'Hara.  Magic.

bogey and bachal ....SP .sorry i is not havin luck with some things today but mostly bogey and davis  , but i think my all time favorite was wagners wife - natali wood , but then there are so many 

im going to adjust my input in the tittle to read 'whatever you wish to call that pastry' im a scotsman southerner -transplanted to midwest-then bounced north and south till i ended up on the north coast , i got lots of conflicting terminology in my vocabulary like CASAROLE / HOT DISH ..........i always know what i mean and i can apply the correct term based on the actual taste when you serve it , its that pastry and paper cup full of coffee she pulled out of the paper bag in front of the store window tho 

Archived