SASS Wire Forum

Hodgdon on a Buying Spree

John Boy

I just downloaded the Accurate Arms reloading booklet.  Hogdgon may discard some reloading data when they migrate it to their online database.

I wonder which product lines will be discarded.
Again.

I am still massively bummed about the death of Winchester AALite (WFL).
I have never found anything that comes close to 980 fps, 3/4 oz in 12-gauge loads.
Winchester continues to sell AA Featherlites similar to this, but $$$ for a box, and I prefer to reload.

26 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I wonder which product lines will be discarded.
Again.

I am still massively bummed about the death of Winchester AALite (WFL).
I have never found anything that comes close to 980 fps, 3/4 oz in 12-gauge loads.
Winchester continues to sell AA Featherlites similar to this, but $$$ for a box, and I prefer to reload.

There are several loads floating here around that are just as good as Featherlites and recoil similar or less. I know 13gr of Clays under 7/8oz lead shot is very pleasant to shoot.

Thanks for the pointer.

I have not found a published load at 13.0 of Clays.
My ideal is 3/4 oz, 980 fps.
I have to find the kindest recoiling load for my wife, or she will balk.

I have an AA Featherlite at 26 grams (401 grains) of #8 at 980 fps that I will cut apart and dissect to get the powder weight.

30 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Thanks for the pointer.

I have not found a published load at 13.0 of Clays.
My ideal is 3/4 oz, 980 fps.
I have to find the kindest recoiling load for my wife, or she will balk.

I have an AA Featherlite at 26 grams (401 grains) of #8 at 980 fps that I will cut apart and dissect to get the powder weight.

I can't find it right now, but @Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 has a post somewhere on here where he talked to a Hogdon rep on the phone and they worked up a load. I think it was actually 12.9 or 12.7 maybe he'll chime in; whatever that was my MEC throws 13 gr and that was as close as I could get. You might look into Josey Wales category and let her shoot 5 revolvers; I know that's not an official category, but that's what some do here in Tennessee and I can't imagine a MD not allowing it at a monthly.

She is a very competent rifle woman, but leery of shotguns after getting bucked by her Dad's 10-gauge as a kid.

We have six Vaqueros.. her two SASS 357, my pair of Bisley 357, and pair of Bisley 44 mag.
I have light loads for the Vaqueros.

Archived