SASS Wire Forum

So, tell me about Land Run...

Creeker, SASS #43022

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Hey SS seems like You and I attended Land Run some time around 1996 or 97... not sure about the time, but it was in the late 90s I think. As I recall it was a neat club back then held in a wooded area. The Stages were well furnished... I remember shooting from the second deck walkway of a Fort or something like that. Fun stages and everyone was just a nice as could be. I actually think I attended a couple of them. I use to spend a fair amount of time at the Federal Aviation Academy in OKC, and it was nice to have a Cowboy club in the area.

Snakebite

Yep Snakebite we did, I believe that was my 1st Land Run..... 

In fact I think I still owe you a Dinner, cuz I believe you paid at that Steakhouse in OKC.

Ain't shot with you since, so Next one you make it to, I'm buying ;)

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Lots of positive reviews, but very little hard data.  Well run is something most shooters can agree on in terms of what that means. Fun match, good match, great match, those are very subjective statements.

Are targets big and close, or small and far, or somewhere in between?

Do all stages follow generally the same sizes and distances, or are some big and close while others are small and far?

Lots of movement? Very little movement? A mix? Downrange, or lateral, or both?

Are the stages written for speed runs (double tap Nevada for example) or firing pattern of a small block Chevy? Or a mix?

Lots of props and off the clock stuff, or not?

A good mix on all you asked.

Last LR we attended, it rained ALL DAY LONG on the 2nd day.

We still shot, and it was a great match.

Does saying it was my first CLEAN match ever, in 10 years help?

Also some of my best/consistant stage times ever?

if you are able, come check out the match at the end of the month.

8 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I like that name.  It makes sense. The sweep on the other hand......

Yes, it would be a bugger, but if you're going to talk Small Block, then the place to start is 1955 with the 265. This was chevy's second V8 engine... the first was in 1917. IMO, there isn't any engine out there that sounds as good as Chevy Small Block with a decent exhaust system. I'm not a pro or expert, just another old man that grew up in the 50s.

sb

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Yes, it would be a bugger, but if you're going to talk Small Block, then the place to start is 1955 with the 265. This was chevy's second V8 engine... the first was in 1917. IMO, there isn't any engine out there that sounds as good as Chevy Small Block with a decent exhaust system. I'm not a pro or expert, just another old man that grew up in the 50s.

sb

My exhaust has ‘stealth’ and ‘track’ modes. Needless to say it stays in track mode. The engine is an LT1 6.2 liter cranking 455/455.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:48 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

It's in Edmond Okla.... Just north of OKC

The Territorial Marshals put on a Great Match at Land Run every year.

I've been to about 15 of them.

Those of you that have never been are in for a Real Treat.

The Stages are always very well thought out, fun and a variety of scenarios.

The Facilities are Top Notch.

And the People are Awesome!

I'm Happy !!!!!

Here's a link to their website........  http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/

Big plus for the Territorial Marshalls of OKC Gun Club, they run an exceptional match and a desire to constantly improve.  Flat Top Okie (congratulations to new SASS Board position), wife Missouri Mae, Roy's Creek Dan, and numerous others are outstanding in their abilities to promote the best in SASS entertainment, shooting and other.  

Lodging, while there are many motels in eastern Edmond along I-35 at 15 or less minutes to range (yep, careful thru Arcadia), less than 5 minutes differs travel from north east OKC along I-35 (these being a few minutes closer to CHF than those in Edmond ).

On 10/2/2020 at 6:22 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Lots of positive reviews, but very little hard data.  Well run is something most shooters can agree on in terms of what that means. Fun match, good match, great match, those are very subjective statements.

Are targets big and close, or small and far, or somewhere in between?

Do all stages follow generally the same sizes and distances, or are some big and close while others are small and far?

Lots of movement? Very little movement? A mix? Downrange, or lateral, or both?

Are the stages written for speed runs (double tap Nevada for example) or firing pattern of a small block Chevy? Or a mix?

Lots of props and off the clock stuff, or not?

Cap'n -

EDIT - this link should take you to all the vids I took from both 17 and 18.

LINK

Best I can to to answer your questions is to share the vid of me shooting Land Run in 2017.  You might want to speed up the playback using the gear icon on the bottom right of the screen.  I ain't never been fast, and that year I was on bad knees and using a cane.

4 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Cap'n -

LINK

Best I can to to answer your questions is to share the vid of me shooting Land Run in 2017.  You might want to speed up the playback using the gear icon on the bottom right of the screen.  I ain't never been fast, and that year I was on bad knees and using a cane.

Thanks for posting that. Those look like fun stages. No confusing sweeps. There’s clearly an emphasis on accuracy, particularly rifle.  

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks for posting that. Those look like fun stages. No confusing sweeps. There’s clearly an emphasis on accuracy, particularly rifle.  

It's a fun match, I'll be going back as time and money allow.

Grizz

On 10/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

That sounds good to me.  I think rifle has become something of a joke the last decade.

17 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

That sounds good to me.  I think rifle has become something of a joke the last decade.

It doesn't bother me!  I don't mind big and close, or small and far.   I don't like small and far coupled with mind bending progressions.

Hi Guys, Kathouse Kelli & I Having lived in Edmond, Oklahoma and been a member of the Territorial Marshals for 5 years or so, I can assure all of you, that Land Run and 2022 Nationals will be the best matches anywhere in the USA bar none. 

You cannot beat the National Cowboy Museum for a banquet and the OKC range and stages are just superb .

Flat Top Okie , Missouri May, RCD and many others are top folks and know how to put on a great event.

And We are sorely sorry we are not living back there now......but you can catch up with us both in the saloon.:D

Have a great match.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

Cap'n -

LINK

Hey Grizz here is a photo foryah. It plays X-mas music. Every time I see this I think of the Griz. Waaa, Haw

Take care  Jackrabbit Joe #414

20201009_091617.jpg

On 10/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

Cap'n -

LINK

Hey Grizz here is a photo foryah. It plays X-mas music. Every time I see this I think of the Griz. Waaa, Haw

Take care  Jackrabbit Joe #414

20201009_091617.jpg

On 10/1/2020 at 2:41 PM, SouthwestShooter said:

what city is Land Run near?

Edmund/OK City. It’s being held at OK City Gun Club.   I’m excited!

Hugs,

Scarlett

Archived