SASS Wire Forum

So, tell me about Land Run...

Creeker, SASS #43022

Assuming (and I could be wrong), but assuming, that the "New" events will take on the personality of their new venue and match direction.

I.e.  EOT will morph into a shoot that closely resembles Winter Range.

I'm figuring the former National Championships will become a shoot that closely resembles Land Run in philosophy and operations.

I already have my opinions of Winter Range and what I think EoT will become - but I have never attended Land Run or visited their range.

So tell me about it.

The GREAT, the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY.

Match philosophy, target distances, sizes, sequences, movements, etc.

I'm honestly much more interested in the match itself than ancillary items like vendors, awards or social events.

If you're uncomfortable with sharing your opinions in an open forum; feel free to pm me.

I know its more than a year away; but Oklahoma is aways away too - I need to start thinking if the time, travel and costs are there in 2022.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Landrun is hard to describe. It just had a really good feeling to it. The stages were a nice blend of sweeps, and the targets seemed "just right."

The banquet at the National Western History Museum (probably wrote that wrong) would be hard to beat.

The match directors are accessible and eager to make your visit fun.

We had a great time, even after having to get towed twice on the way in!

Good Lord willing, we will always make Landrun.

It's in Edmond Okla.... Just north of OKC

The Territorial Marshals put on a Great Match at Land Run every year.

I've been to about 15 of them.

Those of you that have never been are in for a Real Treat.

The Stages are always very well thought out, fun and a variety of scenarios.

The Facilities are Top Notch.

And the People are Awesome!

I'm Happy !!!!!

Here's a link to their website........  http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/

It's actually Arcadia which butts up to Edmond..... Guthrie is a Hoot & a Holler North

2 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

It's actually Arcadia which butts up to Edmond..... Guthrie is a Hoot & a Holler North

You are correct.

Guthrie is where the dealership was that fixed our van.

Not cheap, but it got us home.

Just a few minutes out of OKC.

Plenty of lodging close by. The match is well run. The two times I attended, I was also vending.  They went out of their way to make every part of the match and the event enjoyable!

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Arcadia ?

Held at the OKC Gun Club.

Great venue

Yep, OKC Gun Club which is in Arcadia Oklahoma 

24301 N. Hiwassee Rd.,

Arcadia, OK, 73007

As an aside they will be holding the SASS Southwest Championship there on Halloween weekend this year, moved from their traditional April dates due to COVID. Probably still some room if you wanted a first hand look, although over 400 are signed up as of 9-14.

http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/LR/Land Run 2020/index.html.

I like Land Run stages and the fact that the targets were not at spitting distances.  I saw no P-traps.  The range has trees and props that hold down the wind.  Black powder shooters like myself should expect low wind conditions.  It's not easy BP shooting like the desert SW.  The clays facility at the gun club offers some good side matches.  Participant parking is better at Ben Avery and Founders Ranch.

Though the OP was only interested in the match, I need to praise the on range camping.  There are 72 RV sites on range with power and water.  Forty of these are right on the cowboy range.  There are also showers and flush toilets.  One could stay on range for a week without RV service.  

1 minute ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Can't remember. But pretty sure there is more. Or at least room for more.

I looked at last year and there were 10 stages. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Coroner said:

I looked at last year and there were 10 stages. 

That's how many they used. But pretty sure there is more there they can use.

Or room to build more.  

12 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

That's how many they used. But pretty sure there is more there they can use.

Or room to build more.  

I hope so.  I just went and watched some videos of Landrun on YouTube.  Looks like a great place. 

Only negative is the town of Arcadia is a speed trap, they will bust you for one mile an hour over, and then there is POP's a must see on the way to the range, I think they have over 1500 different types of soda pop and great food...  As far as the number of stages, that will probably be changed, I'm looking forward to National championship at Landrun...

Just now, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

Only negative is the town of Arcadia is a speed trap, they will bust you for one mile an hour over, and then there is POP's a must see on the way to the range, I think they have over 1500 different types of soda pop and great food...  As far as the number of stages, that will probably be changed, I'm looking forward to EOT at Landrun...

EOT is going to move to Phoenix.

Creeker -

Match is great the times I've been there.

Banquet location at the cowboy museum and hall of fame would be hard to beat.

One thing I could see could be improved on is parking for day match shooters.  might have to sacrifice some camping spots to make for better day parking for a match with several shifts.

As Assassin said, time of year would be key, I don't do heat or humidity well either.

That said, I've always wanted to shoot EOT at Founders Ranch, reckon next year might be my last chance.

Grizz

When I heard that the national shoot was coming to OKC in 2022 I asked the match directors about parking. And the parking is being addressed. Also I did hear they were planing a twelve stage match for the national. I am sure the shoot will be conducted with the same care and attention to detail that has been the trademark of the Territorial Marshals and Land Run.

11 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

Only negative is the town of Arcadia is a speed trap, they will bust you for one mile an hour over, and then there is POP's a must see on the way to the range, I think they have over 1500 different types of soda pop and great food...  As far as the number of stages, that will probably be changed, I'm looking forward to National championship at Landrun...

Pops is a fun place. All kinds of flavored soda including mustard, ranch dressing, bacon & maple syrup and monster mucus to name a few. Further down Rt 66 towards Luther, is a joint called the Chicken Shack. Loved the food. Had a crawdad boil going on last year that was really good. Awesome fried chicken. Already have a reservation for the 28th.

I 'REALLY' enjoyed my visit to LR a couple years back.   The stages were top notch for all styles of shooting.

The folks were great and I felt right at home.   The match ran very smooth, atleast from my saddle and I got on the posse

with a few folks I requested to shoot with.   That meant a lot to me considering I was a 'visitor' for the 1st time.

Would I go again?   You betcha!    My only obstacle is the 16+ hour drive one way.   It wore me out to do it in just one day.

EDIT:  one more thing.   The banquet at the Cowboy Hall of Fame museum was top notch.   I don't think I've ever enjoyed

an event as that.

..........Widder

Lots of positive reviews, but very little hard data.  Well run is something most shooters can agree on in terms of what that means. Fun match, good match, great match, those are very subjective statements.

Are targets big and close, or small and far, or somewhere in between?

Do all stages follow generally the same sizes and distances, or are some big and close while others are small and far?

Lots of movement? Very little movement? A mix? Downrange, or lateral, or both?

Are the stages written for speed runs (double tap Nevada for example) or firing pattern of a small block Chevy? Or a mix?

Lots of props and off the clock stuff, or not?

17 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

It's in Edmond Okla.... Just north of OKC

The Territorial Marshals put on a Great Match at Land Run every year.

I've been to about 15 of them.

Those of you that have never been are in for a Real Treat.

The Stages are always very well thought out, fun and a variety of scenarios.

The Facilities are Top Notch.

And the People are Awesome!

I'm Happy !!!!!

Here's a link to their website........  http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/

Hey SS seems like You and I attended Land Run some time around 1996 or 97... not sure about the time, but it was in the late 90s I think. As I recall it was a neat club back then held in a wooded area. The Stages were well furnished... I remember shooting from the second deck walkway of a Fort or something like that. Fun stages and everyone was just a nice as could be. I actually think I attended a couple of them. I use to spend a fair amount of time at the Federal Aviation Academy in OKC, and it was nice to have a Cowboy club in the area.

Snakebite

40 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Are the stages written for speed runs (double tap Nevada for example) or firing pattern of a small block Chevy? Or a mix?

Ha.. thats just called a Bel Air sweep. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2  then put two rounds on the dump target.

sb

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Lots of positive reviews, but very little hard data.  Well run is something most shooters can agree on in terms of what that means. Fun match, good match, great match, those are very subjective statements.

Are targets big and close, or small and far, or somewhere in between?

Do all stages follow generally the same sizes and distances, or are some big and close while others are small and far?

Lots of movement? Very little movement? A mix? Downrange, or lateral, or both?

Lots of props and off the clock stuff, or not?

Here are pictures of the stages.  The covered stages would be great in case of rain.  Note the facility pictures at the bottom of page.  Restrooms with indoor plumbing and RV sites with utilities.

Why not start a thread in early November asking for feedback on the stage design? Land Run 2020 will have just finished and you can get feedback from those who attended.  I'll try to take pictures of the stages from the shooting positions and post them.

Archived