SASS Wire Forum

Florida State Match - "Ides Of "November" - Who's Comin'?

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Is there a schedule posted anywhere?

This is from a 30 May 2020 posting on their Facebook page.  I would suspect that it is mostly accurate, but I would not be surprised to see a few modifications as we get closer to the start date.

IDES OF MARCH (In November) 2020 - SASS Cowboy Action Shooting Florida State Championship

November 19-22, 2020 (rescheduled from March)

Schedule

Wednesday, November 18
  • 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup – provided proper paperwork submitted
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup – provided proper fees/ paperwork has been submitted
Thursday, November 19
  • 10:00 am - 4:00 pm - Side Matches
  • Time TBD - Posse Marshall Walk Through - with Match Director and Range Master
  • 8:00 am – Range opens
  • 9:30 - 4:30 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:30 am - 4:30 pm - Registration – main pavilion
Friday, November 20
  • 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 7:30 am - 8:30 am – Registration – main pavilion
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:00 amAM Flight - MANDATORY shooters meeting – outside Main Pavilion
  • 9:30 am - 12:30 pm – 5 stages – AM Flight
  • 12:00 pmPM FlightMANDATORY shooters meeting – outside Main Pavilion
  • 12:30 pm - 3:30 pm – 5 stages – PM Flight
Saturday, November 21
  • 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors Open
  • 8:30 amAM Flight – 5 stages
  • 12:00 pmPM Flight – 5 stages
  • 5:00 pm – Elks Lodge - open for drinks
  • 5:30 pm – Elks Lodge - dinner - until 7pm
  • 7:00 pm – Side match awards – Announcements – Etc – Door prize/raffles – must be present to win
** - Elks Lodge - *2540 Dora Ave - Tavares, FL 32778-4976
Sunday, November 17
7:30 am – Range opens
8:00 am – Cowboy Church – main pavilion
8:00 am - 12:00 pm -Vendors open
Time TBDTentatively 10:00 amTop Gun Shoot-Off
The Lake County Pistoleros - Cowboy Action Shooting and the Eustis Gun Club are pleased to announce that The Ides of March (In November) 2020, will be the SASS Florida State Cowboy Action Shooting Championship.

APPLICATION AND WAIVER:

The deadline to turn in your applications is now October 1.

Anyone on the range with you will need to complete a waiver (even if they are not shooting).
Updated information can be found at: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/lcp/

SASS Scholarship Fundraiser

We will be offering a few options to raise funds:
  • A bucket will be kept at registration – please consider donating a few dollars when you register.
  • We will be having a Man vs Man challenge stage, Thursday during side matches. The cost to compete is $5.00 per run or $10.00 as many runs as you want. You may prepay for this with your application or you may pay when you register onsite.

Side Matches

Thursday, November 19th – 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Free (with the exception of the Man vs Man) – Shoot all day – best time wins.
Awards will be given for the following categories:
  • Speed Rifle
  • Speed Shotgun
  • Speed Pistol
  • Pocket Pistol
  • Derringer
  • Long Range
    • 100 yards
    • 200 yards
Warm up stage (no scores, practice only)
Man vs Man (bragging rights only)
**If you’re available to help RO on Thursday, please notate it on your application.

Wild Bunch 4 stage mini-match

Thursday, November 19th10:00 am – No charge – you must pre-register

Registration

• Thursday, November 19th9:30 am - 4:30 pm - Main Pavillion
  • Friday, November 20th - 7:30 am - 8:30 amMain Pavillion

Camping

Please verify with Greta Dee AKA Dawn Ney Owen that there is still space available. RANGE RULE – NO ALCOHOL on the range at any time.

Match info

• Scoring will be based on total time.
  • 5 stages Friday and Saturday, November 20-21
  • Top Gun Shoot-off Sunday, November 22
The dinner is included in your match fee. There are a limited number of extra tickets available, please order/pay in advance.
Awards will be given out Saturday after dinner during the banquet. We will award for one less place than the total number of shooters up to a maximum of 5 per category.
Example: 5 Lady Wranglers entered will have 4 buckles awarded. 8 Fourty-Niners entered will have 5 buckles awarded.

HOTEL INFO FOR IOM/FL STATE IN NOVEMBER 2020

Hampton Inn, Leesburg - 9630 US Hwy 441, Leesburg, FL - (352) 315-1053 - The group rate is $119.00 plus taxes. The rate quoted is non-commissionable and no rebates apply. You must contact the hotel directly. Do no use central reservations.
Microtel Inn & Suites, 9700 US Hwy 441, Leesburg, FL 34788 - (352)315-1234 – The group rate is $85.00 plus taxes. All guests attending the Lake County Pistoleros “Ides of March” will need to contact the hotel directly and request Lake County Pistoleros group rate.
Comfort Inn & Suites - 1380 E. Burleigh Blvd, Tavares, FL 32778 - (352) 253-2378 – The group rate is $103.00 plus taxes for single or double with extras at $10.00 per person per night. (Child $0.00) - Pets $25.00 per night and 25# max weight. Currently King rooms, no smoking are available. Contact the hotel directly and ask for the Lake County Pistoleros group rate. Select option 2 so that you will talk to the hotel's front desk. Several have already called and made reservations. If your current rate is higher please contact the hotel for a possible adjustment. If you made your reservations through a third-party then you must contact them for any changes.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, Sixgun Seamus said:

Is there a schedule posted anywhere?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sassfl/permalink/1499550536890061/ 

Today I awoke to temps of 34 degrees and the sight of frost on the vehicles and roof.  It's Only October For Goodness Sake!  I am not sure how it transitioned from 98 degree sweltering heat to freezing temperatures in less that 60 days, but I swear we went from Summer straight to Winter.  If I believe what the hardware that's still in the ankle I broke 30 years ago is telling me, it's going to be a long, cold, snowy, winter, and I am NOT looking forward to that.

64869-Dog-In-The-Snow.jpg

I don't know how you guys can afford to keep the whole state heated during the winter months, but I am ready or it.  It is now T-minus 23 Wake-ups until I begin my 948 mile journey south to the Sunshine State!  YaaaaaaHoooooo!  Lil, who said she married me for life and not for being trapped in a box with me for 15 hours straight, will be flying in a couple days later.  We are both looking forward to some warm weather, a couple of days of R&R, and an awesome shoot.

dog-beach-cowboy-bebop-vacation-enjoy-10

Hope everyone is doing well amidst the Covid-Craziness and see you all soon!

Dogmeat & Lil

Dogmeat

You seem positively giddy.

I hope Lil Feathers doesn't have to use the tranquilizer gun on you...

... again.

:lol:

See you soon.

Waimea

Getting closer, only 14 days until I head south.  Starting to get the truck ready for the trip.  Oil change is done and I just need to put in a new engine air filter, give her a bath, and load her up, and I still have a couple of weeks to get that done.  Couple of little things to make the trip easier, but she could leave today if need be.

And, after squeezing 75K miles out of the factory Michelin's, I put on a new set of my favorite BFGoodrich All Terrain Radial T/As.  That should assure we get no snow up here in Maryland this winter!  :P  Got a little taste of late fall today with temperatures not expected to break 45 degrees, currently 43 and drizzling.  Not a good indicator of the coming winter months, and personally I think we are due to get hammered this year, but predicting the weather around here in the mid-Atlantic region is at best a 50/50 proposition.  As long as Jim Cantore doesn't show up , we are good!

article-1349375-0CDB8382000005DC-989_468

Here is to hoping for some fantastic Florida weather!

Dogmeat

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 3:51 PM, Realtree said:

Dogmeat, I will be there.  Can't wait to see you and Lil Feathers.  As of today we are just 2 weeks away.  I understand that the registered number of shooters is over 200. Going to be a great time.

Looking forward to it and I am certainly glad to see the turn out is so good.  Up here our Governor "Lockdown Larry" would likely have a heart attack if that many people were in one place, and armed to boot!  :D  They are about to fall back to limiting gatherings to 25 people or less again because, well, just because they can.  I will refrain from commenting further so I don't get banned from the wire.  :angry:

I had planned on rolling into Florida on the 9th, with Lil flying in on the 11th, but work is going to keep us up here a few extra days.  Lil and I are now planning to drive down together on Friday the 13th, :o taking the scenic route down Skyline Drive along the mountaintops of the Shenandoah Valley before making one night stop in GA.  There is an event there on the 14th at the Georgia Museum of Agriculture and we are going to checkout their operational steam powered saw-mill and ride on their train powered by a steam locomotive.  We will be heading on down to Dunedin later that evening, assuming Lil can pry me away from their Ice Cream Shop where they have homemade Peach Ice Cream!  If I stop eating right now, I might end up even by match day.  :lol:

Really looking forward to getting out of jail for a couple of weeks and visiting with everyone.  Now I just need to remember how to shoot!

Dogmeat

Well, a bit of a change of plan for me.

I had surgery last week for a hernia that I've been playing with for a year (it didn't hurt).

Beginning of October it started to hurt. Then the middle of October I decided to see a Sawbones.

Surgery was performed October 28. Follow up yesterday.

Doc says I can shoot again in 8 weeks, maybe. If I don't mess it up.

So I'm trying not to mess it up.

Going to Ides and not shooting was considered by me.

Doc said If you hurt yourself (slip, twist on uneven ground, etc) your recovery is gonna be extended to 6 months.

OK, ouch.

So here I am, at home.

Tryin' to be good.

Waimea

Forgot how much I liked big fonts.:lol:

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

Tryin' to be good.

Waimea

WOW!  That really sucks about the Ides, but I am glad you are doing OK.  I have an abdominal wall tear I have been nursing along for about 45 years, old sports injury, that I had planned to get fixed this spring after we got back from the Ides.  Then Covid hit and it didn't happen.  Trying to get it fixed sometime in the next 12 months before I end up on Medicare!

So, just thinking out loud, what if we tie your legs together at the knees?  Can you shoot then?  :P

christmas14of20_2048x.progressive.jpg?v=

Regardless, I hope you fell better soon, and 8 weeks should have you back to shooting just in time for the Dark Day/Darkness Falls matches in January so if I don't see you at the Ides, I expect to see you then.

Dogmeat

P.S.  DO NOT DO AN INTERNET SEARCH FOR IMAGES OF "KNEES TIED TOGETHER"!  It will not end well!    :o

eyebleach.jpg

18 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

WOW!  That really sucks about the Ides, but I am glad you are doing OK.  I have an abdominal wall tear I have been nursing along for about 45 years, old sports injury, that I had planned to get fixed this spring after we got back from the Ides.  Then Covid hit and it didn't happen.  Trying to get it fixed sometime in the next 12 months before I end up on Medicare!

So, just thinking out loud, what if we tie your legs together at the knees?  Can you shoot then?  :P

christmas14of20_2048x.progressive.jpg?v=

Regardless, I hope you fell better soon, and 8 weeks should have you back to shooting just in time for the Dark Day/Darkness Falls matches in January so if I don't see you at the Ides, I expect to see you then.

Dogmeat

P.S.  DO NOT DO AN INTERNET SEARCH FOR IMAGES OF "KNEES TIED TOGETHER"!  It will not end well!    :o

eyebleach.jpg

Lil Feathers needs to put Parental Control on your Internet. LOL

Have to see which way the wind is blowing before I can commit.

Waimea

Darn Waimea.  I guess hauling boxes of lead around is out of the question for a while too.  Hopefully I'll catch up with you in the Spring.  Take it easy and get well.  Do what the doctor says.  Good luck with your recovery.

5 hours ago, Waimea said:

I had surgery last week for a hernia that I've been playing with for a year (it didn't hurt).

Beginning of October it started to hurt. Then the middle of October I decided to see a Sawbones.

Surgery was performed October 28. Follow up yesterday.

So I'm trying not to mess it up.

Going to Ides and not shooting was considered by me.

Doc said If you hurt yourself (slip, twist on uneven ground, etc) your recovery is gonna be extended to 6 months.

OK, ouch.

So here I am, at home.

Tryin' to be good.

Waimea

Larry Earp talked you into carrying his bullets to his car didn't he. Ya gotta watch that guy.

Maybe someday.  We're pretty much done for the year - Petey is having cataract surgery in the middle of SC State & the best we can hope for is the SC Christmas shoot.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:39 AM, MizPete said:

Maybe someday.  We're pretty much done for the year - Petey is having cataract surgery in the middle of SC State & the best we can hope for is the SC Christmas shoot.

Hope all goes well with his surgery.  One of these days, Lil and I will hit one of the matches in SC.  Ides of March 2021 is just around the corner!

Why does it always happen that when ever we plan a trip, work just piles up.  Already slipped our departure until Friday, 13th, and we are scrambling to a keep on to that schedule.  There are a few days of fluff on the front end, (past history has taught me to always have that buffer!) but I was mentally ready to leave here two weeks ago!

Regardless, I am sure the match will likely be fantastic, as usual.  Now we just need to keep that Hurricane Eta out in the Gulf!

T-Minus 11 Days & Counting....

Dogmeat, Hurricane ETA brought some needed rain to many areas and some unwanted tidal issues at the coast, but she is long gone and a cool front is on it's way.  The weather is going to be spectacular for the IDES,  Three more days and counting.  See you soon, be safe on your trip south.

As usual, our departure was delayed by work related issues, but we hit the road Friday afternoon about 2:30pm.  Made it to Hardeeville, SC before we bailed for the night.  We had originally planned to stop in Alachua and shoot the monthly match at Fort White, but we would have never made it so we took a detour to the Georgia Museum of Agricultural and Historic Village to check that out as they were having a "Steam Day".  We got to see a steam powered saw mill in operation, a steam powered Cotton Gin in operation, a Mule Powered Sugar Cane Mill on operation, and got to ride a narrow gauge Steam Train that runs around the property.  The Steam Train runs almost every Saturday, but the of the demonstrations are not as regular.

Vulcan-Steam-Train.jpg

Definitely a cool bit of history there in Tifton, Georgia.  We didn't get there until about 11:30am, and it closed at 3:00pm and we probably only saw a couple of the other attractions.  We could easily have spent an entire day, or weekend, there.  The Tift House, built by Mr. Henry Tift for whom Tifton is named, is an amazing place considering when it was built.  He was a businessman who started a sawmill & lumber business after buying 60,000 acres of pine forest for the whopping sum of $0.03 per acre!   Check it out if you have an interest in history or are just in the area looking for something interesting to do.  Georgia Museum of Agricultural and Historic Village

After that, we completed our drive to Dunedin Saturday evening, unpacked, and spent the day Sunday getting settled in.  It will take a day or two for our bodies to readjust to the heat down here in Florida, :rolleyes: but it feels good to be out of colder weather even if just for a little while.  As you said, the weather for the match looks to be spectacular!

We should be rolling into the range about 8:00am on Thursday morning and are looking forward to seeing everyone.  Hopefully, I will remember how to shoot!

Dogmeat Dad & Lil Feathers

Just now, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Wish I were there, I'm stuck in the shop makin' 100+ signs for the warehouse.

You and Lil' have  a great time!;)

MTC

Wish you were here as well.  Hopefully, it will work out for the Darkness Falls, Dark Day double header in January.

We will be back home before Thanksgiving, tasks are piling up as we speak.  I figure I will have plenty to keep me busy during my quarantine!  :ph34r::lol:

Well, I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment and let everyone know about Day 1 of the Ides of November.  We didn't do much on Sidematch day other than get signed in, do a little shopping at the vendors, and visit with a few long time Cowboy Friends.  Not all of them live in Florida, but it seems like that's the place we seem to meet up.  Got settled into our hotel, had some take-out Thai food for dinner, read Friday Stages again (not that it helped any :P) and went to bed early.

We are on Posse 15 and started on Bay 5 of the Pocket Bays (the short bays behind the Skeet Range).  As usual we have a great posse with Amadualist and Deadwood Woody keeping us all in check and things running smooth.  Weather was great to start, we had a brief rain shower lasting maybe 15 minutes give or take, and then the sun was out again.  Not atypical Florida weather in my limited experience and the high humidity made the BP cleanup a breeze.

Stages were a lot of fun, with a new sweep I had not seen before,  but will be sure to transplant to Maryland in the not to distant future.  I also liked the idea of the paper target for the Johnny Ringo vs Doc Holiday quickdraw first round out of the picture.  I was up-close, personal, and as the target was paper, there was no risk from splatter hitting anyone.  I nailed old Johnny right between the eyes...of course he wasn't shooting back. :blush:

Not all was peaches and cream though as I was introduced to the experience of the slooooowest bullet I have ever seen.  This guy was sooooo slooooow, that it added 40 seconds to my time!  He was so slow, he never even made it out the barrel of my rifle, in fact I don't think he even made it into the rifling.  I think what little rifling you see is the result of the following round trying to push him into the barrel.  What a disappointment to all of his brother and sister rounds who had been anticipating their ride to glory.  I think I will name him Squiby and keep him around for a while as a keepsake...:rolleyes:

266089501_BulletNamedSquib.thumb.jpg.21eb2088af0ecf5e9a279d0b562457b5.jpg

And that is how Day 1 ended.  Great stages, lots of fun, and my new best friend, Squiby.

Day 2 promises to be even better.   Stages look great, we are on the AM flight so we have plenty of time to clean our guns and still clean us up for the banquet.  We were on the PM flight today and just managed to get them clean before the sun when down.  Normally, for the Ides of March, Daylight Savings Time is in effect so we get that extra hour of daylight, but we made it none the less.

Personally, I like Day 2 the best because the posse has gotten a chance to know each other and everyone seems to relax and have a bit more fun.  We happen to know one other couple on our Posse, and have shot with one or two more at other matches, but unless we are traveling with someone specifically, we don't ask for particular Posse members.  Gives us a chance to meet new people from other parts of the country and it's just another way to add a new flavor to the game.

Well, that's it for today's update.  Not sure if I will get one done tomorrow or not, but will definitely give a final report on Sunday night when we land back in Dunedin.  Weather again looks fantastic for tomorrow and, as long as I can squeeze a cup of coffee out of the hotel kitchen before we leave for the range, life will be good.  Now it's off to bed.  Squiby is tired after his long day of disappointing me and needs to be tucked in for the night.  :lol:

Thanks for the update.

Living vicariously right now.

I'd take Squiby into the bathroom and introduce him to Mr Toilet.:lol:

By the time you read this you will be getting ready for the banquet.

HAVE FUN!

At the banquet now, waiting to see who wins all that bling. There’s a heap of it on those tables!

The match was great, I think we might have a favorite for top gun on our posse this year!

6 hours ago, Waimea said:

Thanks for the update.

Living vicariously right now.

I'd take Squiby into the bathroom and introduce him to Mr Toilet.:lol:

By the time you read this you will be getting ready for the banquet.

HAVE FUN!

I ought to send Squiby to you to be reborn as a new and better bullet, but he will likely contaminate the whole batch.  Better to sequester him in bullet purgatory forever.  :P

BTW, the dinner at the Elks was good as usual.  Missed seeing you at the match, but Dark Day will be here before you know it.

57 minutes ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

At the banquet now, waiting to see who wins all that bling. There’s a heap of it on those tables!

The match was great, I think we might have a favorite for top gun on our posse this year!

The only thing I know is it won't be me!  :D. Had some good times turned in on our posse, and a few clean matches, so it won't surprise me to see a few category winners, but probably not the top gun.

Great match, good stages, look forward to Ides of March in 4 months!

Saw you get something to take home for the “I love me” wall! Congratulations!

So, my hunch was right, Bucky won the Cadillac! He shot clean, with all ten stages being sub- 20 seconds! He just came back from Alabama, where he won the regional top gun award as well.

Looking forward to the next Ides in March as well, it’ll be the state match again!

Yeehaw!

Yes, I got lucky and managed to take home 2nd place FCGF, even with Squiby!  To be honest, anybody shooting any of the FC categories was lucky to hit anything.  Smoke was tough yesterday afternoon, but this morning, with the same sun lighting up the clouds of smoke, was seriously crazy.  I guess I know where that saying "Yelling at Clouds" comes from, I sure was! :lol:

Kudos and Congratulations to all the winners!  It was a great match with a good mix of target size and placement that could be run fast (if you could see them) and hit clean.

Enjoyed the banquet tonight and had looked forward to the shootoff tomorrow, bit we had our schedule scrambled while at the banquet.  Southwest rescheduled Lil's flight and we didn't find out until she tried to check in online.  The new flight time was not going to work, so when we left the banquet we scrambled back to the hotel, checked out, then scurried back to Dunedin to pack for a drive home Sunday.  Finally done and crashing till sunrise for the 14-15 hour drive home.

Chaos, it's not just a job, it's a way of life!

Enjoy the shootoff, I hate missing it as it's one of my favorite parts of the big matches, and we will see everyone in March or, for those BP folks, maybe January at the Darkness Falls/Dark Day double header.

19 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I ought to send Squiby to you to be reborn as a new and better bullet, but he will likely contaminate the whole batch.  Better to sequester him in bullet purgatory forever.  :P

BTW, the dinner at the Elks was good as usual.  Missed seeing you at the match, but Dark Day will be here before you know it.

I do sell lead to guys that make sinkers.

We could turn Squiby into Shrimpy.:lol:

23 hours ago, Waimea said:

I do sell lead to guys that make sinkers.

We could turn Squiby into Shrimpy.:lol:

Shrimpy, sounds like we may have a new plan.  :lol:  If he is still riding around in my little change purse when we get down for Dark Day, we can discuss his rendezvous with the fishes.

Well, we made it home about 12:30am on Monday morning after a long, but thankfully uneventful, drive back from Florida.  Finished unpacking the Stage Coach today and getting prepped for the work weeks ahead with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in the not too distant future.  Then I will start getting ready for the return to Florida for Darkness Falls and Dark Day on the Santa Fe at the end of January.  Can't Get Here Soon Enough!  It was 47 degrees and windy today, and I like to froze to death.  Dang Florida weather thins one's blood out in a hurry!

Now that the dust is settled a little bit from our journey, I wanted to take a moment and do a final recap. 

First, and foremost, I want to say Thank You to all of the hard working folks of the Lake County Pistolleros for all of their hard work putting this match together during these most trying of times.  It is a major undertaking under the best of circumstances, and all of this Covid excrement everywhere, it makes it all the more difficult.  So, a Massive Thank-You to Greta Dee, Smart *, Arcadia Outlaw, Santa Fe River Stan, Delta Glenn, Moog, all the folks from Eustis Gun Club and a host of other folks that I have surely forgotten to mention.  I know what it takes to do what you do, so Thank You!

Second, my congratulations to all of the Category Winners, Overall Winners, and Florida State Champions.  I don't know if it's the sunshine, the year round shooting, or something in the water, but there can be no doubt that some of the best shooters in the Country live if Florida.   It was a pleasure to be there yet again and have the chance to enjoy this match and all of the wonderful folks in Florida and parts nearby.  Moog at ActionShootingNetwork.com posted the scores for the match and I have provided links to those postings below.  For some reason, I can't seem to get them to load on my phone, but this gets me there directly.  At some point in the near future there will be event pictures posted as well, but according to Greta Dee, there are a lot of them it takes time to get them all organized.  I will try to update my link later, but you can also check ActionShootingNetwork.Com as well.

Main Match Overall Winners By Time

Wild Bunch Overall Winners By Time

Stage Winners and Scoring Details

Link To Pictures

Third, I would like to thank everyone on Posse 15 for being an outstanding Posse.  Amaduelist and Deadwood Woody kept us all running smooth and everyone pitched in to make it a great couple of days of shooting.  Everyone worked to keep the targets reset, spotters at the ready, brass retrieved, and moving along.  Sadly, as soon as we seemed to have really gotten into the rhythm, it was all over.  Wish we could have done it for a week straight! 

I also wanted to make a few comments about shooting during the continuing Covid situation.  Everyone at the match, Match Directors, Shooters, and helpers were aware of the healthcare of everyone there and took reasonable precautions throughout.  There were hand sanitation stations in multiple locations for use and folks in general were considerate of others choices and situations.  There was a requirement to wear masks inside of the Main Building and the Bathrooms, but out on the range, it was left to personal discretion.  Folks tended to do the Fist or Elbow Bumps instead of handshakes and hugs, but even that was not always the case and the camaraderie was still there.  People tended to abide by the new social distancing practices that have become the norm in these times, but again it was personal choice and there were no "Mask Police" running around the range.  :ph34r:

Lil and I, being from way out of state, wore our masks when in large groups, but once we settled into our posse, we hung the masks on the cart and just maintained our distance as required.  Some folks wore their masks the entire match, all day, everyday, and no one said anything one way or another.  We wore ours to the banquet while we mingled, then dropped them when at our table.  Re-donned them when we got in line to get our food, but took them off again back at our table.  We sat with George Silver and his wife (whose name my old deaf ears failed to catch) who was on our posse, thus keeping the "Germs" in the family so to speak.  :rolleyes:  All in all, it was not an issue, but I was glad to see that they took precautions.

The banquet was good, the food was great, it was a little less crowded this year as many folks chose not to attend, but there were still a good number present.  Greta Dee did a great job getting the awards out in as short a time as possible with help from her lovely assistant (Whitney if I heard that right) who handled getting the awards to the correct person expeditiously.  Pictures were taken quickly (and will likely be posted soon) and things moved right along.  Door prizes were drawn at intervals through out the night and yours truly had the Luck of the Irish smile on me as my name was drawn to win one of the two hand made knives by  Page Custom Knives, http://pagecustomknives.com/.  

1909796186_LarryPageCustomKnives.thumb.jpg.17d6b0fa71d40e307ae08a5b1c7b60d7.jpg

It is truly a thing of beauty (the picture doesn't do it justice) and is without a doubt, the nicest knife I own.  I have stared longingly at his work over the years, and can now I have the pleasure of owning one!  Not only that, but I had the pleasure of shooting with him at the match, and a Big Thank You from this unlikely winner!  Sometimes, Karma smiles...B)

Already looking forward to March 2021 and seeing everyone again.

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Shrimpy, sounds like we may have a new plan.  :lol:  If he is still riding around in my little change purse when we get down for Dark Day, we can discuss his rendezvous with the fishes.

Well, we made it home about 12:30am on Monday morning after a long, but thankfully uneventful, drive back from Florida.  Finished unpacking the Stage Coach today and getting prepped for the work weeks ahead with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in the not too distant future.  Then I will start getting ready for the return to Florida for Darkness Falls and Dark Day on the Santa Fe at the end of January.  Can't Get Here Soon Enough!  It was 47 degrees and windy today, and I like to froze to death.  Dang Florida weather thins one's blood out in a hurry!

Now that the dust is settled a little bit from our journey, I wanted to take a moment and do a final recap. 

First, and foremost, I want to say Thank You to all of the hard working folks of the Lake County Pistolleros for all of their hard work putting this match together during these most trying of times.  It is a major undertaking under the best of circumstances, and all of this Covid excrement everywhere, it makes it all the more difficult.  So, a Massive Thank-You to Greta Dee, Smart *, Arcadia Outlaw, Santa Fe River Stan, Delta Glenn, Moog, all the folks from Eustis Gun Club and a host of other folks that I have surely forgotten to mention.  I know what it takes to do what you do, so Thank You!

Second, my congratulations to all of the Category Winners, Overall Winners, and Florida State Champions.  I don't know if it's the sunshine, the year round shooting, or something in the water, but there can be no doubt that some of the best shooters in the Country live if Florida.   It was a pleasure to be there yet again and have the chance to enjoy this match and all of the wonderful folks in Florida and parts nearby.  Moog at ActionShootingNetwork.com posted the scores for the match and I have provided links to those postings below.  For some reason, I can't seem to get them to load on my phone, but this gets me there directly.  At some point in the near future there will be event pictures posted as well, but according to Greta Dee, there are a lot of them it takes time to get them all organized.  I will try to update my link later, but you can also check ActionShootingNetwork.Com as well.

Main Match Overall Winners By Time

Wild Bunch Overall Winners By Time

Stage Winners and Scoring Details

Link To Pictures

Third, I would like to thank everyone on Posse 15 for being an outstanding Posse.  Amaduelist and Deadwood Woody kept us all running smooth and everyone pitched in to make it a great couple of days of shooting.  Everyone worked to keep the targets reset, spotters at the ready, brass retrieved, and moving along.  Sadly, as soon as we seemed to have really gotten into the rhythm, it was all over.  Wish we could have done it for a week straight! 

I also wanted to make a few comments about shooting during the continuing Covid situation.  Everyone at the match, Match Directors, Shooters, and helpers were aware of the healthcare of everyone there and took reasonable precautions throughout.  There were hand sanitation stations in multiple locations for use and folks in general were considerate of others choices and situations.  There was a requirement to wear masks inside of the Main Building and the Bathrooms, but out on the range, it was left to personal discretion.  Folks tended to do the Fist or Elbow Bumps instead of handshakes and hugs, but even that was not always the case and the camaraderie was still there.  People tended to abide by the new social distancing practices that have become the norm in these times, but again it was personal choice and there were no "Mask Police" running around the range.  :ph34r:

Lil and I, being from way out of state, wore our masks when in large groups, but once we settled into our posse, we hung the masks on the cart and just maintained our distance as required.  Some folks wore their masks the entire match, all day, everyday, and no one said anything one way or another.  We wore ours to the banquet while we mingled, then dropped them when at our table.  Re-donned them when we got in line to get our food, but took them off again back at our table.  We sat with George Silver and his wife (whose name my old deaf ears failed to catch) who was on our posse, thus keeping the "Germs" in the family so to speak.  :rolleyes:  All in all, it was not an issue, but I was glad to see that they took precautions.

The banquet was good, the food was great, it was a little less crowded this year as many folks chose not to attend, but there were still a good number present.  Greta Dee did a great job getting the awards out in as short a time as possible with help from her lovely assistant (Whitney if I heard that right) who handled getting the awards to the correct person expeditiously.  Pictures were taken quickly (and will likely be posted soon) and things moved right along.  Door prizes were drawn at intervals through out the night and yours truly had the Luck of the Irish smile on me as my name was drawn to win one of the two hand made knives by  Page Custom Knives, http://pagecustomknives.com/.  

1909796186_LarryPageCustomKnives.thumb.jpg.17d6b0fa71d40e307ae08a5b1c7b60d7.jpg

It is truly a thing of beauty (the picture doesn't do it justice) and is without a doubt, the nicest knife I own.  I have stared longingly at his work over the years, and can now I have the pleasure of owning one!  Not only that, but I had the pleasure of shooting with him at the match, and a Big Thank You from this unlikely winner!  Sometimes, Karma smiles...B)

Already looking forward to March 2021 and seeing everyone again.

I missed seeing you, Dad.

Thanks for the recap.

As for covid I am glad everyone kept their heads. We have to do what we can without judging others. It's a big classroom.

Really glad you won the screwknife.

He really is an artist. I can't afford his art either.

Waimea

Archived