SASS Wire Forum

EOT moving to Phoenix

Sidekick

14 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Hope you are referring that I am from Texas....Even that I have a lot of family there....This old good looking Lizard lives a little south of you....But I wish I lived somewhere else...

Texas Lizard

You're right I did that ASSume thing.  :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

You're right I did that ASSume thing.  :)

That is OK I can live with it...I think we both would rather be somewhere else...But I am stuck here...Wife and grandkids...And the 19 month old is looking at me , now hoping for his music....

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Everything in life has a plus and a minus. One man's loss is another man's gain. Some who couldn't attend before, can now, and vise versa.

Yep! Was looking forward to competing at winterange again, I always drive down to go shopping for new cowboy stuff.

Rafe

2 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Yep! Was looking forward to competing at winterange again, I always drive down to go shopping for new cowboy stuff.

Rafe

It’ll still be there in 2021.

EOT 2021 will probably be my  7th & last EOT.    Shot  Winter Range  in 2009,  wasn't impressed, very left hand unfriendly.  Never had the urge to go back.  

Seems to me that if SASS was going to make a change,  Wouldn't it be wise to talk to the shooters that travel & get their opinions?

I've always thought that the national  & world championship should be held in different locations each year,  and rotate around to various parts of the country.  

ie   One shoot east of the Mississippi, one west. and then swap locations and or rotate with other locations and return every few years.   

Appears I'm going to miss out on End of trail after 2021 as February isn't a good travel month for my business.   Sounds like I might get a chance to go to the new nationals, time will tell.

3GC

1 hour ago, Three Gun Cole said:

EOT 2021 will probably be my  7th & last EOT.    Shot  Winter Range  in 2009,  wasn't impressed, very left hand unfriendly.  Never had the urge to go back.  

Seems to me that if SASS was going to make a change,  Wouldn't it be wise to talk to the shooters that travel & get their opinions?

I've always thought that the national  & world championship should be held in different locations each year,  and rotate around to various parts of the country.  

ie   One shoot east of the Mississippi, one west. and then swap locations and or rotate with other locations and return every few years.   

Appears I'm going to miss out on End of trail after 2021 as February isn't a good travel month for my business.   Sounds like I might get a chance to go to the new nationals, time will tell.

3GC

WR had done a lot to make their stages more ambidextrous... Hope you consider trying them out at least once. They need top quality folks like yourself.

But an interesting point that I was discussing with a fellow shooter last night...and is related to your remark on bad travel time. I would think that the World championships would occur after the Nationals. If this was to be followed / maintained, then February would be pretty much impossible for EOT.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Three Gun Cole said:

3GC

Every time I have attened Winter Range most of the stages were set up so the shooter had a choice of going right to left or left to right with equal targets either direction.

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Years ago, there was a national match in Sparta, Illinois held in June or July. Was that the SASS nationals at that time? 

Divisional.

In my dream world, Hellfire, CaC and Land Run would be held in that order in 2022, one per week in that sequence.

Most people in the southeast could get to Quitman LA in a day, shoot Hellfire and head to TX, shoot CaC the following weekend, then head to Land Run. Those are all easy drives. You could shoot all of those and get home in 18 days or so if you scheduled it right.

I have shot winter range and eot, they are night and day. It's weird the world championships was much more laid back than the national championship. I have shot both multiple times so it wasn't a one off. Wonder how the move is going to affect the feel of the match.

Rafe

To be clear, starting in 2022 the Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders who has been hosting Winter Range the SASS National Champion coming up on our 30th annual this coming February 2021 will be hosting the World Championship End of Trail starting in 2022. The same group/board that has been producing WR for these many years will now transition to hosting the World Championship.  The dates for EOT in Phoenix in 2022 will be the same time in February. 

To be clear, the name "Winter Range" will be retired, and the National Championship will be moved to Land Run. 

Be assured that the quality of match that you have come to expect from WR will only be enhanced with this transition as we expect to attract more of our International friends, vendors for your enjoyment, and shooters who want to compete against the best at the highest level along with those that wish to be apart of the spectacle. 

That said, WR will be shooting our 30th annual in 2021 and EOT will be shooting their 40th annual. You absolutely do not want to miss either of these great shoots. They are going to be GREAT matches, and you will want to say "I was there"!!!!

Nine Toe Joe

WR Deputy Match Director/Range Master/Ranger Coordinator

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Thanks. Where has that match moved to?

The Divisional shoots didn't pan out and they are history now. I only attended one and it was a good match, just not centrally located in the Division and folks just didn't show up. 

The crew that organize winter range are some of the hardest working folks I've seen. Love seeing the progresses pictures of them building the sets. I hope my posts didn't offend anyone! I'm one of those folks that don't like change. Moving eot to Phoenix is much more convenient for me, I live in Tucson and it would be a much easier drive. I look forward to shooting the new eot after next year's shoot. congratulations Az rough riders.

Rafe

They can name the Nationals whatever they want. To support Phantom's non-regional name EOT was in several places all over the U.S. Some EOT's ended and then became the beginning of another trial which had an EOT. Of course once the railroads extended everywhere the big cattle drives ended.

Ike

Cattle-trails.jpg

Being an Arizona resident, and shooting in the Phoenix area for 16 years, summer and winter, I believe that the best weather in Phoenix is usually April and November.  Not hot, not cold, not rain, not snow.   I understand that the Rough Riders have to work with Ben Avery scheduling, but, I think these times of year would have better weather.  But no matter when they can have EOT, I know it will be a great time.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The weather in Phx CAN be inclement in Feb... It WILL be hot in June.

That alone may keep some from coming. We had a little rain in 2017 but otherwise, it was great!

My criteria during the Michigan Winter is to take some vacation time and get out of the cold to somewhere warmer, preferably to a big CAS match with lots of vendors. Whatever they call it, I hope they keep a big match for us Northerners to escape to during the winter....

On 10/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, Three Gun Cole said:

3GC

They have definitely made the stages ambidextrous when I was there in 2016. I would sure like to have the chance to shoot at different and closer to drive to ranges, also, but I'm not sure there are a lot that really have the capacity for the number of shooter that would attend?

On 10/1/2020 at 12:04 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

We had over 50 days of 110 degrees or higher this year in Phoenix.  I retired from the WR board but I am sure EOT will not be held in Phoenix in the summer.  I wonder what will happen to Founders Ranch?

Founder's Ranch is owned by a Wild Bunch and was leased/rented to SASS

7 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Founder's Ranch is owned by a Wild Bunch and was leased/rented to SASS

Thank you for the clarification. I was worried that there may be some financial concerns or such that'd we'd be learning about soon, but now I can rest easier knowing it's just part of the changes/process...

On 10/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, Nine Toe Joe #25190 said:

To be clear, starting in 2022 the Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders who has been hosting Winter Range the SASS National Champion coming up on our 30th annual this coming February 2021 will be hosting the World Championship End of Trail starting in 2022. The same group/board that has been producing WR for these many years will now transition to hosting the World Championship.  The dates for EOT in Phoenix in 2022 will be the same time in February. Not the best weather! It isn't WINTER RANGE anymore. Time to consider late April.

To be clear, the name "Winter Range" will be retired, and the National Championship will be moved to Land Run. 

Be assured that the quality of match that you have come to expect from WR will only be enhanced with this transition as we expect to attract more of our International friends, vendors for your enjoyment, and shooters who want to compete against the best at the highest level along with those that wish to be apart of the spectacle. 

That said, WR will be shooting our 30th annual in 2021 and EOT will be shooting their 40th annual. You absolutely do not want to miss either of these great shoots. They are going to be GREAT matches, and you will want to say "I was there"!!!!

Nine Toe Joe

WR Deputy Match Director/Range Master/Ranger Coordinator

Well, PHX is a piece farther than ABX for me.

But Landrun is closer.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, DeaconKC said:

Excited here for Oklahoma, can be there in a day.

5 hours from  my front door. I.m in!!

On 10/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Google maps says 14 hrs and 23 min from here. Then again, I ain't doin' 90 in a Camaro. :P

Still, one long day and yer there.

You don't have to do it in one day!!! There's is so much to see inbetween, stop over somewhere and see some of your lovely country. 

Kelli and I did 34 states in the 5 years we were there, and we saw a million things and visited plenty more.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, Assassin said:

So, they only have two bays with down range movement. Shows how much I pay attention, only been there 7-8 times since 1998. I'm spoiled all of our local ranges have berms and we have lots of movement both laterally and downrange. 

Yea, but your lateral movements are 30 yards sprints, that's only 5 steps for you Assassin. LOL:lol:

On 10/2/2020 at 5:48 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I would think that the World championships would occur after the Nationals. If this was to be followed / maintained, then February would be pretty much impossible for EOT.

Phantom

I'd like to respectfully disagree with you. If that logic was followed, the state championships would be held before the regionals and they before the national, culminating with the world championship. That would be a logistical nightmare and we would have EOT in December. You don't have to qualify for the larger matches (I know that's been brought up before) so why would the "lower" matches have to be held before the larger ones? Keep the big Phoenix match (now EOT) in February and the other matches where where they fit best. If we revamp the whole enchilada (I love enchiladas) and have "build-ups" to the bigger matches, then I could see them being held in echelon order; now, it doesn't make much sense.    The qualifiers? that's another whole discussion.

Oh boy, have to qualify for a State, Regional, National, or World Championship like in other shooting sports.  Has anyone ever been to a "big" SASS match where someone who has never shot a CAS match shows up and wants to be a "Cowboy?"   Maybe the time has come for new shooters to show they can really shoot CAS.  I have seen shooters who have been shooting CAS for almost a year who are lucky if they can shoot a 6 stage monthly match in barely under 450 seconds, where the rest of the shooters overall average is maybe 200 seconds.   These are supposed to be Championship matches where the participants are supposed to be good shooters.  The newbies should show up and watch and learn how to shoot better.  Maybe take some classes from the better shooters.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:24 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Yea, but your lateral movements are 30 yards sprints, that's only 5 steps for you Assassin. LOL:lol:

Typically the set up is a total of 12 paces total, two or three moves. Kelli does well with the movement, perhaps she can give you lessons.:D

It would be silly to have just a couple steps of movement with bays as large as ours. Heck, we could fit 4 or 5 stages on bay #1 at our range.

It's not for everyone. However, there are a bunch of shooters that enjoy shooting here. It's a shooters match for sure.

Be safe!

Archived