SASS Wire Forum

EOT moving to Phoenix

Sidekick

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EoT moving from Founder's Ranch to Phoenix, AZ?  What about the church that y'all donated money to build, that moving too?

I agree with Phantom (?!!).Seems like the OKC range wouldn't be able to accommodate  the number of shooters or campers that attend the Nationals.Iknow there are other camping and parking facilities available there,but the logistics of getting to and from the range just doesn't make as much sense as Phoenix  or Edgewood.

Of course JMHO

Choctaw Jack 

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

EoT moving from Founder's Ranch to Phoenix, AZ?  What about the church that y'all donated money to build, that moving too?

perhaps like a lot of our donations.

I think OKC can handle it. CAS range is on a very large block of OKC club land.

26 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I sure hope with EOT moving to Phoenix, that they keep the same date range of WR.

Phoenix in June can be BRUTAL!

We had over 50 days of 110 degrees or higher this year in Phoenix.  I retired from the WR board but I am sure EOT will not be held in Phoenix in the summer.  I wonder what will happen to Founders Ranch?

My thoughts:  Winter Range is more popular than EOT in New Mexico, drawing hundreds more shooters.  It deserves becoming the world championship.  The shooting conditions for EOT at Founders Ranch were quite demanding physically.  The high altitude, low humidity and high temps were just too much for shooters with respiratory impairments.  The political climate in New Mexico is becoming more hostile to shooting sports.  The ABQ mayor tossed the NRA's police PPC match off a City-operated range and the state governor closed gun stores and shooting ranges as part of her Covid-control plans.   It took legal action to get our retailers and shooting ranges re-opened.  The political climate in Arizona and Oklahoma is more favorable for shooting sports.  I think there is plenty of camping and lodging around Edmond for the national championship.  I've shot Land Run and look forward to shooting the national championships in Oklahoma.  Regarding Founders Ranch, as a local shooter I am concerned about financial viability of the range.  I'd hate to lose a desirable, local shooting range.  Use by sporting clays, CCW classes, modern action shooting sports and several CAS activities may be insufficient to pay the bills.

I hope these moves will only bring in more shooters that couldn't or didn't want to travel as far west as NM or Phx. I did get out to WR in '17, but had to fly. Not that much of a deal but it may be for some folks. OKC does seem like more of a central location though.

3 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I hope these moves will only bring in more shooters that couldn't or didn't want to travel as far west as NM or Phx. I did get out to WR in '17, but had to fly. Not that much of a deal but it may be for some folks. OKC does seem like more of a central location though.

Great minds think alike.  I was just calculating the travel to Edmond.  I think I could probably make it in 11 hours, long day, but just one day.  I've always thought if I went to Winter Range, or EOT, flying would be the best option.  Now driving to one is a viable option.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

Great minds think alike.  I was just calculating the travel to Edmond.  I think I could probably make it in 11 hours, long day, but just one day.  I've always thought if I went to Winter Range, or EOT, flying would be the best option.  Now driving to one is a viable option.

If your route takes you through Nashville, pick me up and we'll take turns driving/split gas.  This increases the odds of me attending WR a hundredfold.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If your route takes you through Nashville, pick me up and we'll take turns driving/split gas.  This increases the odds of me attending WR a hundredfold.

LOL, you might find the back seat of my Camaro a tad cramped (Sharyn would be with me) and some folks object to driving 90 mph.  I never have understood why, it's only half the car's rated speed.

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

LOL, you might find the back seat of my Camaro a tad cramped (Sharyn would be with me) and some folks object to driving 90 mph.  I never have understood why, it's only half the car's rated speed.

Ha, figured you drove a big truck. I'll find someone else to carpool; not a fan of being a 3rd wheel anyway :lol:

Did you know that the engine on a 1994 GMC Sonoma shuts off at 105mph?

I like the idea of the National match being more central, will give me the opportunity to finally go to a national match  The OKC club is amazing. I'm sure that they will find a way to accommodate more shooters. 

Put me down as excited for the changes!

Thank you all for your support. The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders shares your excitement and enthusiasm. Former members such as Larson E. Pettifogger have made Winter Range the world-class event that it has become. Now we look forward to combining that with a world championship match, and hope you will be happy with the results. Be assured, this is not just "Winter Range with a new name" or "EOT moved west"; but the absolute best that we can produce, both event and match.

As for dates, if they move it won't be much at all. We want the best weather that Phoenix has to offer, and will always take that into consideration.

More to come...much, much more!

28 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Wait... did you call me a great mind? Lol Love ya bud

29 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Google maps says 14 hrs and 23 min from here. Then again, I ain't doin' 90 in a Camaro. :P

Still, one long day and yer there.

35 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm in!

(Yes, y'all have created a monster.  I've only attended four local matches and already I'm planning a drive to Oklahoma!) 

54 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

...Did you know that the engine on a 1994 GMC Sonoma shuts off at 105mph?

What does the speedometer go to?

The speedometer on my mom's 4 cylinder 2010 Hyundai Sonata goes to 160.  Why??? :blink:  

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The speedometer on my mom's 4 cylinder 2010 Hyundai Sonata goes to 160.  Why??? :blink:  

Maybe it's calibrated in furlongs per hour?  :D

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I can't remember that, seems like it may have been either 130 or 150.

5 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

My speedo goes to 200, sadly the car will only do 181.

But to the topic at hand, I suspect my Camaro will be parked in Edmond for a few days in 2022. This change is a good one for me.

I'm thinking that part of the problem when EOT moved to New Mexico was that they lost the huge population in the nearby area who would come check it out and shop.  Less shoppers = less vendors = less shooters.  Vicious cycle.   I don't think Oklahoma's nearby population is that much larger than New Mexico.  Phoenix of course never had that problem.

I like the Oklahoma move. Wish that could have been the world venue just because of its central location.

Only went to Winter Range once because of the distance. Not fond of 2 hard days driving.

If you have ever hosted a big match (250+ shooters) then you know that only certain venues can handle 2 or 3 or 4 times that number and the amount of effort goes up exponentially as the numbers increase.  Winter Range has consistently hosted matches of exceptional quality, and have proven time and again, that they can handle crowds of 800-1000 competitors.  In my humble opinion, they were absolutely the correct choice to take the reins of EOT.  The result will very likely be that EOT will go from 600+ shooters to 1000+ shooters at that venue.

Certainly be nice if they were more centrally located in the US, it's actually 450+ miles further west than Founders Ranch for those of us on the eastern side of the country, but as I said above, there are a limited number of venues that can support that size of an event, and no choice will be perfect for everyone.

As far as the National Championship moving to Oklahoma, well that puts it about 550 miles closer to those of us on the east coast, or almost 1000 miles closer than Winter Range.  Getting to that match could now be done in one day (about 20 hours of driving) as it's about 1275 miles from home.  That makes it much more attractive for us eastern Cowboys to attend.

I am glad I made it to EOT at Founders Ranch (2016) and understand how hard of a decision this likely was to make.  I wish both venues, and SASS, Great Success.

Archived