SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun choke

sarcasmn

We sometimes shoot popup shotgun targets where the bird, briquet, or soda can is engaged at fairly close distances.  I prefer as open a choke as possible to make hitting the popup easiest.  I currently shoot a SxS with straight cylinders.  When shooting these targets with a fixed choke Stoeger SxS I shot the popup with the Imp Cyl barrel.  For standard knockdown targets more constricted chokes perform well.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

With most targets at 10 - 12 yards, Chokes in yer shotgun are about like a Drag Chute on a Turtle.  Cylinder bore works just fine.

:lol:

I know I'll miss a shotgun target some day, but in this sport I doubt it will be due to the choke.

I use IC and Mod on my SXS, but mostly because I use the same gun for hunting.  It's tough to hit a squirrel 35 ft up in a tree that;s 20 yards away when using no choke.  If I had a shotgun solely for SASS, I'd have cylinder bore on both barrels.

image1 (7).jpeg

cylinder bore for shotshells that have a modern wad. for my brass hull BP shotshells that I load with fiberwads I like to use modified or full depending on the distance to targets. some ranges have pretty heavy targets set out at a good distance. 

No choke will make an improvement if you are not aiming close to the target.  In fact, a poor shooter will get a few more hits with a cylinder choke (no choke at all), since it provides perhaps an inch wider pattern at 10 yards.

Good luck, GJ

Archived