SASS Wire Forum

Never seen it so bare.

Raylan

Checked some old wholesalers I used and big retailers and I gotta say this story is true, never seen so many guns out of stock and sold out, ammo too of course and reloading supplies. Some due to the "peaceful protests" and new gun owners, but a lot due to the election and the threat of Democrats gaining a permanent majority and incrementally putting an end to gun ownership. This year is going to blow the doors off of all past records in sales. Never seen nothing like it. Depending who wins in Nov/Dec/Jan or whenever they finish finding and counting the votes this ain't going to end anytime soon.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/sep/27/gun-sale-surge-aimed-defense-set-break-record/

I've been to 3 LGS and a local gun range and the stock is slim. One LGS had some really high end stuff that's not selling as fast as the cheaper stuff, although when I was in there a guy was buying a Colt Gold Cup Trophy 1911 in .45 for $1100.00. He said he really didn't want to spend that much but he couldn't find anything cheaper!

The last guns to go in stores and on many sites have been the really expensive ones and the single actions pistols.

I did a search yesterday for a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible and there aren't any on the sites that I looked at.

I've seen shortages mostly when Congress liberals make noises about black rifle bans. I recall the run after Obama was elected. Bu I've never seen anything like this! Not just one type of gun or ammo but across the board. At least some businesses are doing well in 2020.

A local gun store had some high end handguns, but they're all gone now.  The only SIGs in stock, are air rifles, and this is a SIG dealer.  Still plenty of hunting rifles and shotguns, but handguns and AR type rifles are gone.  Ammo and components are pretty much gone.

I've lived through every panic since the first "assault weapons" scare in the late 1980s. Gun shortages have come and gone, but I've never seen the ammo situation this bad. It's literally been months since I was able to buy any 9mm, .45ACP or 5.56 ammo. Every time a retailer gets in a few cases it's gone within minutes. Unfortunately I suspect that the majority of people snatching up ammo so fast already have thousands of rounds of it stashed away and they simply want to be sure they NEVER run out.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately I suspect that the majority of people snatching up ammo so fast already have thousands of rounds of it stashed away and they simply want to be sure they NEVER run out.

Kinda curious,  how long do you think thousands of rounds will last?    More than once ive burned through almost a thousand rounds on side match day with both of us shooting. 

I have 'thousands of rounds', mostly because I've always had the habit of picking up a box or two every time I've been in a gun or sporting goods store. But as evil dogooder points out, if you go to the range a lot, you shoot a lot. I don't shoot matches anymore, but I like to go to the range frequently for regular target shooting.

The shelves are bare here too of the main stuff, though there is a smaller store here that has regular supplies of stuff they're branding themselves; commercial reloads I believe. I've bought them and they are fine. The prices they put on them fluctuate wildly; even daily-- supply and demand before your eyes. The .38 specials  have been at 49 bucks per 50; couple days later they are $32. .45 Colt similar. So I just wait for the lows.

I won't buy undue amounts; it's a personal thing. One store has a lot of .44 special, which is getting hard to find. But his stack doesn't deplete; seems not too many are buying. I buy one or two boxes every time, but I won't buy the whole bunch at once. Let somebody else have a shot. I do have quite a bit in my 'pipeline'.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I've seen shortages mostly when Congress liberals make noises about black rifle bans. I recall the run after Obama was elected. Bu I've never seen anything like this! Not just one type of gun or ammo but across the board. At least some businesses are doing well in 2020.

We also have not seen an election like this...

Texas Lizard

13 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Kinda curious,  how long do you think thousands of rounds will last?    More than once ive burned through almost a thousand rounds on side match day with both of us shooting. 

Always the $6 million question. Many shooters will never burn through more than a few thousand rounds in their lifetime. Some guys shoot that much every month. My comment was directed more towards those who keep hoarding it but never shoot it up. Meanwhile the rest of us can't even find a couple boxes to go shooting on the weekend.

Went down to the small shop. Picked up a couple more boxes of 50 of .44spl at $31 per. I said to the guy that I must be the only one in town buying them. He said, you and one other guy.....

His .380 auto was $94 per box of 50. 94 bucks! He had several on hand. No .38spl or.45 Colt this time.

I have had a recent interesting experience at Bass. Shelves have been bare for quite awhile. Except there has been a stack of about 20 boxes of Herter's .300 Win mag. Obviously, there must not be a high demand, because most of the rifle calibers are out. I have a .300 Win mag. So I've been buying them 2 at a time when I go into the store; couple times a week. $21 per box of 20; a good price.

I went in a couple of days ago, and the stack was gone. Based on my experience, my guess, though I can't actually know, is that somebody bought them all. I wasn't mad, just low-grade annoyance. I don't like the idea of taking them all at once.

9 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I wonder if some retailers/wholesalers are holding back so if biden wins they can charge double?

Pretty big gamble. In Retail it’s “Show me the money.....Now”

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Always the $6 million question. Many shooters will never burn through more than a few thousand rounds in their lifetime. Some guys shoot that much every month. My comment was directed more towards those who keep hoarding it but never shoot it up. Meanwhile the rest of us can't even find a couple boxes to go shooting on the weekend.

Yeah. From. What I get from talking to gun shop guys the newbies are in the majority as far as sales. The experienced shooters haven’t been asking for a case or two. Or a pallet.

And like panics of the past, this stuff will eventually show up on gun show tales at laughable pricing.

Archived