SASS Wire Forum

I'm on my way I guess

Cottonmouth Mark

I'm on my way I guess. Rifle (73) should be here at the end of the week. Revolvers (Runnin Irons), should be here in 3 weeks. Still looking for a shotgun. Researching leather tonight and tomorrow, looking to order late tomorrow.

You will need a gun cart in the very near future and to quote Imis...."Get a good hat".

Getting all the equipment is the easy part. Try to find ammo. If you already reload find supplies. If you are starting to reload, just finding dies and stuff is getting tough. 

Welcome to the game

Pistols-check

Rifle-check

Shotgun- in study phase

Hat-get a really good one

Leather- study phase

Guncart- under consideration

Ammo supply- Purchase or reload, decision pending

Training- future consideration

Mentor- assessing availability

New Friends- Guaranteed, hopeful

Local club availability- under study

Fun factor- steadily rising

System engaged- prepare for launch

Prioritys Hat then everything else

Imis  did I mention a hat?

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Didn't see anyone mention the camper yet but you have time. 

I appear to have passed over the golf cart dressed out like a covered wagon as well.

Imis

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I appear to have passed over the golf cart dressed out like a covered wagon as well.

Imis

And the one that gets my wife the most: The entire room dedicated to reloading. And clothes. And safes. And... 

Took me about 6 months to get started.

3 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome to the game

Pistols-check

Rifle-check

Shotgun- in study phase

Hat-get a really good one

Leather- study phase

Guncart- under consideration

Ammo supply- Purchase or reload, decision pending

Training- future consideration

Mentor- assessing availability

New Friends- Guaranteed, hopeful

Local club availability- under study

Fun factor- steadily rising

System engaged- prepare for launch

Prioritys Hat then everything else

Imis  did I mention a hat?

You're forgetting side match pistols and some .45-70's for long range fun!

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

And the one that gets my wife the most: The entire room dedicated to reloading. And clothes. And safes. And... 

wall to wall shelves for dies, powder, primers, and rotations of cases, and a desk/table for each step... Casting/lubing... Reloading... repairs, restorations and maintenance... and the all important R&D/computer desk. And...

7 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

SASS shooters are the only men I know who talk about clothes....

...... and the only women I know who talk enthusiastically and knowledgeably about guns ......  :wub:

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've got the pistols, rifles and hat... I have yet to find a shotgun. For me it has to be an old-style coach gun with external hammers but I don't know if anyone even still makes one.

... if you can find one of the IAC 99 models out of China consider it seriously. Robust, hard to kill and put together with the BlackPowder re-loader in mind.

No chokes, 11 7/8 ga. chambering, and large timber forestock; ..... and not all that ugly.

(it also fits your other requirements ;))

20 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........... and don't expect to have a healthy bank account for any time within the near future ...... ;)

I was doing fine on my $5,000 budget until I bought extra shotguns. And a pricy '73 rifle (Shot Show special). And now have 2 gun carts (long story).

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Didn't see anyone mention the camper yet but you have time. 

I invite my lady along on camping trips. She has the camper. A camper is good, but a girlfriend with a camper is better. I'm going to have to get my own boat though.

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've got the pistols, rifles and hat... I have yet to find a shotgun. For me it has to be an old-style coach gun with external hammers but I don't know if anyone even still makes one.

They are still made, and every now and then a nice slicked example comes up in the classifieds

21 hours ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

I'm on my way I guess. Rifle (73) should be here at the end of the week. Revolvers (Runnin Irons), should be here in 3 weeks. Still looking for a shotgun. Researching leather tonight and tomorrow, looking to order late tomorrow.

Well, unless you get lucky with a used rig, you just put yourself out at least six weeks, possibly ten. I did find some possible rigs for my revolvers and the caliber, but I am just too skinny for every good rig I found. It seems SASS shooters eat well.

I'm wondering how long it will take to get a complete Dillon 750 for all the calibers I am planning to reload. And I might end up adding 9mm to the list of calibers, just was not worth reloading last year. Trying to figure out if it will be worth it in another year. But for cowboy loads, it is definitely worth adding the skill.

Welcome to a great social club interrupted by periodic gunfire.

8 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

SASS shooters are the only men I know who talk about clothes....

... while the women discuss reloading.

EOT'02 (back when it was still in Norco), during the 1st day of shooting.  I'm on Vendor's row in Horsefly's tent browsing.  this BIG guy dressed like a cross between a Mexican bandito and a buffalo skinner is looking at the vests as I walk by.  He turns to me (who he has never laid eyes on in his life) and says, "Whatcha think?" as he holds a vest in front of him.

I immediately answer, "Whatcha thinking about wearing it with?"

And didn't even blink an eye.

Next day, about lunch time I come across a pair of ladies dressed to the 9's in Victorian finery (right down to the lace gloves, veils on their hats and parasols) taking a promenade.  As they walk past, I caught a snippet of their conversation.

The subject was loading .38Special.

9 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Ohohohoh! I forgot about the casting stuff and the totes in the garage! 

And the 3 boxes of holsters...

that picture in the second post always reminds me of my grandson's "magic finger" he did not strart speaking as early as some because his "magic finger" got him anything he wanted - now he talks a lot , funny how we miss some things we remember fondly ..............

Since you are buying a '73, that hat thing above isn't completely a joke.  They eject almost straight up and taking a hot piece of brass down the shirt collar is rather discombobulating and can be a dangerous distraction. 

A hat brim wide enough to keep the brass from doing down the back of your shirt acts as a safety device- since you would be holding a loaded gun while you are dancing around trying to keep that piece of brass inside your shirt from burning you.  From what I've seen, paying attention to muzzle control kinda goes out the window when that happens.

I've got a pencil roll on the edge of my hat brim and it's not unusual for me to have 3 or 4 spent shells on the top of the brim of my hat when I finish a rifle string and that's just the ones that stay on the hat.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You're forgetting side match pistols and some .45-70's for long range fun!

Then, he'll discover Black Powder and want a set of cap and ball.

And new leather for them.

And extra cylinders- so he doesn't spend all of his time reloading the guns.

And a whole shoe box of accoutrements and tools for them.

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Since you are buying a '73, that hat thing above isn't completely a joke.  They eject almost straight up and taking a hot piece of brass down the shirt collar is rather discombobulating and can be a dangerous distraction. 

They do land on the hat, but the shotgun recoil always knocks the collected cases off. Surprised me the first time.

HAHA, 

Well the 73 arrived today and I am well pleased. Revolvers are ordered. Still to measure and order leather. Still searching for a shotgun and ammo.

I reloaded for 2 decades + (even developed a wildcat). No tools presently though. Right now, I'm looking to buy ammo (and build a brass supply). I'll invest in reloading when I move in 3-6 months.

For a hat, I had my eye on this

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/outback-trading-grizzly-hat/E031909/

It would go with with my oilskin jacket when its colder

Or should I go with this?

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/outback-trading-bootlegger/E014916/

Choice 1 or 2?

4 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Right now, I'm looking to buy ammo (and build a brass supply). I'll invest in reloading when I move in 3-6 months.

Won't get into hat suggestions, and I bought a duster in anticipation but have not worn it yet.

Good you have reloading experience, I don't but will add that soon.

In the mean time, I took a similar direction to what you are planning. I bought 1,000 rounds each of the calibers I am shooting, and collecting as much of the brass as I can. Will get started on reloading when I have collected about 500 rounds, though I could get an order into Dillon now so I can actually have gear when I need it.

I did get primers, powder, and bullets to have those bases covered. I recommend you keep your eyes open for primers at a fair price, that is the most constrained component at this time. Ammo for CAS calibers was not difficult a few months ago, but .38 Special might be a challenge at this time (though pure lead unjacketed rounds might not be a huge problem). "Cowboy" rounds always had a premium price so the uplift is not horrible at this time, if you can find them. The typical hoarders basically eliminated all common FMJ from the supply chain. But... The remanufactures and small-run ammo manufacturers ran out of primers too.

At this time, I am not at a panic point and think things will improve over the next two months. But finding ammo and supplies will take some focus.

Oh come on, select a hat from those 2 choices; that's my indecision point right now LOL.

Getting ready to order some boots (the 3 pair I have are dress, and I think ropers for this game).

Any usable 38 Special for my club I have not found. (Lead or coated lead, can't use jacketed). None locally or online.

Even checked SASS merchants.

I feel fortunate that I do not view reloading as a "black art" and am 100% comfortable with it. Just need the gear, but waiting till I move. I mean I got enough things still to get.

Talking about that, gun cart building plans are slim pickings on the web (yes I'm totally comfortable making and finishing my own). Thoughts? I need something LW and easily collapsable as I have a small SUV.

please dont get dissuaded by the banter - its all true but hang in there you need to live it to understand it all , one day you will add such to someone's early start posts because it will be reality 

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

please dont get dissuaded by the banter - its all true but hang in there you need to live it to understand it all , one day you will add such to someone's early start posts because it will be reality 

Oh never! I am cynical and contrary when I'm in a good mood. LOL

When its bad, I am condescending, or worst, aloof.

Just wanted a hat opinion other than my wife's. Too late, already ordered.

And already arranged to buy 100 rds from a range mate so I can at least get to try my new 73 next week at a practice..

I have the feeling I will fit in fine :)

On 10/1/2020 at 2:56 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Look for and buy an older Rossi Coach Gun with External Hammers. Made in Brazil and imported either by Garcia (mine) or Interarms in VA. They lock up like a tank and you can't buy them new anymore, but a little used one would last you a lifetime.

5 hours ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Oh come on, select a hat from those 2 choices; that's my indecision point right now LOL.

Getting ready to order some boots (the 3 pair I have are dress, and I think ropers for this game).

Any usable 38 Special for my club I have not found. (Lead or coated lead, can't use jacketed). None locally or online.

Even checked SASS merchants.

I feel fortunate that I do not view reloading as a "black art" and am 100% comfortable with it. Just need the gear, but waiting till I move. I mean I got enough things still to get.

Talking about that, gun cart building plans are slim pickings on the web (yes I'm totally comfortable making and finishing my own). Thoughts? I need something LW and easily collapsable as I have a small SUV.

Wheels come off, Box comes out, rifle and shotgun rack comes out. Locks down with locks on sides, fits in trunk of car. Most important to me was a Place to SIT DOWN.  I just lay it down in the bed of my Chevy Silverado.  Can be built as a 5-6 gun cart too.

Big Jake 1001

guncart1.jpg

guncart2.jpg

guncart8.jpg

guncart5.jpg

Well took the new to me 73 to a practice today. Had a freshly painted plate and proceeded to create a 1 1/2 black blob on it dead center. I smiled.

Then I went for some speed across a number of targets. No drops and decent speed for a newbie.  As I walked back, all the other cowboys gave me a thumbs up for rounds 21-40 shot in this style.   

Archived